Is it generally safe to drive Uber in Baltimore

pgchris

I'm moving to Baltimore from DC, and I've had a lot of Baltimore friends surprised that I am willing to do Uber in Baltimore. I know Baltimore has a reputation but is it really that bad? Are my friends exaggerating? Any areas I should completely avoid?

nutzareus

IMG_9438.JPG

Anything west of I-83. Didn't you see the riots from Mondawmin Mall on TV back in 2015?

DelaJoe

Stay away from the projects..you will figure that out pretty easily. Don't pickup at grocery stores or wal marts. As with any city there are money areas in the suburbs and also low income housing... Again you will figure it out.

Bmore Driver

As I grew up in the city, I can tell you a few places to avoid.
Cherry Hill
Curtis Bay
Belair Rd South of Northern Pkwy
East Baltimore..ALL OF IT.
Liberty Heights/Park Heights.
Those are the problem areas. Common among all of them- Low income, Low rated pax. First to complain about route of travel.

Good luck out there.

yankdog

Cherry Hill
Curtis Bay
Those are the problem areas. Common among all of them- Low income, Low rated pax. First to complain about route of travel.

Good luck out there.
I'm not from Baltimore but there a lot. What about Pig Town, Wilkins Ave area near Caton Ave, or going from there East toward Brooklyn/Patapsco or Rt.40 on West side? Thanks for this.

Bmore Driver

I'm not from Baltimore but there a lot. What about Pig Town, Wilkins Ave area near Caton Ave, or going from there East toward Brooklyn/Patapsco or Rt.40 on West side? Thanks for this.

Pig town isn't bad for a weekend night or a ball game. Rarely you'll get anything during the week. Wilkens and Caton can be profitable once in a while as you have the motel 6 off caton, but anything south of caton can start to be a little sketchy.

Autofahrer

Cherry Hill
Curtis Bay

Good luck out there.

I live in Frederick. Really don't want to uber in those places. I've made a number of trips to BWI and drove back to Frederick no PAX!

Aztek98

Your rating will take a hit in Baltimore if you pick up in the hood. It's great for lots of rides to hit bonuses. In the morning from 6am to 9am it's non stop.

Autofahrer

Guess.....It's not worth the hour drive to get there for me. Maybe try after a BWI PAX ride, that about it. Rockville and Germantown are
better choices. Rating now is 4.87 and only 2 one stars. Not bad for 103 total rides.

midtownhm

I'm moving to Baltimore from DC, and I've had a lot of Baltimore friends surprised that I am willing to do Uber in Baltimore. I know Baltimore has a reputation but is it really that bad? Are my friends exaggerating? Any areas I should completely avoid?
Lol , drive around a bit during the day and see how it looks...it's the worst city I have seen in America

Your rating will take a hit in Baltimore if you pick up in the hood. It's great for lots of rides to hit bonuses. In the morning from 6am to 9am it's non stop.
True

jon.chromwell

I drive in Baltimore a lot. I live here. Grew up here. I am white so my rating go in the shit tank whenever I pick up in low income. If I don't vacuum my car everyday .. I get complaints... I could have a leaf on the floor board and boom.. complaints... It is hilarious cause I have so many compliments and positive written reviews...

But overall money is good. Hit towson and Loyola. Drive up 83 and come down York road. You will get a couple small trips then a big one... Bwi sucks. 1.5 hour wait on average.

I drive half dc and half Baltimore... Money is just about the same. DC is a smidge better.

You could also drive to Laurel.. and then get rides that will eventually get you to DC.

BTW... It is probably pretty dangerous to drive here. I will probably get robbed if I keep it up..

SEAL Team 5

Just saw that Baltimore eclipsed last year's murder rate with still a month to go in the year. The city needs only 26 more murders to set a new record. Should be a piece a cake for Baltimore. The public is now screaming for more police intervention. Hmmmm, what a difference a year makes.

GregCaires

When you guys from Baltimore drive down in DC do you get the DC incentives (boost zones, quests) or are those tied with you being "registered" in the Baltimore drive area?

Cwilly

Baltimore and dc are the same as any other cities in US. Some areas are safe but some aren’t. Don’t pick up people from sketchy places

the surge within me

Better yet don't drive in Baltimore unless it's surging. The wear and tear on your car from the crappy streets, the animalistic and rude nature of Paxes especially from the west side is not worth it on Base rates. Baltimore is dangerous to say the least and you need to be extremes careful of who you pick up and Vet each and every Pax before they get in your car. No Surge= No Car available

Last edited:

yankdog

Better yet don't drive in Baltimore unless it's surging. The wear and tear on your car, the animalistic and rude nature of Paxes especially from the west side is not worth it on Base rates. Baltimore is dangerous to say the least and you need to be extremes careful of who you pick up and Vet each and every Pax before they get in your car. No Surge= No Car available
Drive in burbs outside Balmer