1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Is driving for Uber & Lyft as much as a hassle/headache as being a taxi driver?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by otad12, Jul 9, 2018.

1. otad12

otad12

I was only a cab driver for 2 days, but had to quit because of lack of sleep. Also, I've been hearing a lot that you have to work 80 hrs. a week as a cab driver in order to make barely minimum wage. I've heard stories about cab drivers committing suicide or some of them having heart attacks because of being stressed out. I heard it's worse if you have to rent a cab $400/week & don't own your own.

Are Uber/Lyft drivers this stressed, too? Would I be wasting my time, energy & money driving for Lyft or Uber, renting a car, since I don't have my own?

2. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    So you have mentioned the expense of renting a car, long hours for not much money. These things look to me to be the same Uber or cabs

Regarding heart attack’s... I know an Uber driver Thad had one recently

I don’t see any difference

3. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    Sounds to me like you are looking for excuses to not work.

4. Cabbies pay daily fee called the gate to use the cab. Cabbies pay for gas but do not pay for repairs on the vehicle. Cabbies can pay for the cab on a daily rate or for the week depending on who you work for. I heard of daily rates as low as $65 and weekly rate at around $500. Cab make around 2.5x more than Uber on a mileage rate so just imagine working at 2.5 surge all the time. The problem is unless your in a city with a lot of tourists or fewer Ubers you'll starve to death IMHO. Best thing to do is try both of them out and stick with the one that suits you best.

911 Guy and Rakos like this.
  5. hanging in there

hanging in there

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I drove a cab for about 10 years. I very much prefer cab driving over Uber or Lyft driving, but I feel I have no choice at this point since U/L basically sucked the blood out of the taxi business.

To me taxi is less stressful because you have more control of your business, instead of wondering when or if you will get your next ping. But I am driving Black SUV. For X you will be showered with pings, the question will be, at the end of the day, or year, are you really making any money.

The issue of taxi drivers killing themselves has more to do with them being squeezed out of the medallion values, something I did not have to deal with in my area.

Some cab compsnies allow owner/operators which is the route I chose. The setup in that case is surprisingly similar to U/L driving. You provide your own car in return for reduced taxi lease. Basically the weekly taxi lease replaces the Uber commission, which worked out to be cheaper in my case working full time. Plus people almost always tip in a taxi, vs “sometimes” for U/L.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Ms.Doe and Rakos like this.
  6. We have a co-op. We pay 250 a week that covers the cost of operating. We also own our own gas station, which UberLyft drivers love to us as they think they're giving us a jab. Little do they know the gas they buy goes into OUR pocket. Starting around July or August, we take the gas profits and use it to pay our weekly "kitty" so we don't have to pay tax on those earnings. When that starts, we drive fee free for the remainder of the year. Cab driving is what you make it.

SuzeCB, Rakos and driverdoug like this.
  7. I paid $72 a day for use of the cab + fuel costs. After that, all fares and tips belonged to me. The rates were much higher tho. $1.50 pickup charge, $2.25/mile and 25 cents a minute wait time. In answer to OP you can make money driving for Uber but there's no way I'd rent a car to do it. There's just not that much to be made in my market.

Rakos likes this.
  8. Netpay

Netpay

Driving:
    Lyft
    Some people are not that passionate about driving for Uber. Some need to drive to survive. You are right I don't like to work... hard for peanuts.

9. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    $1600 a month compared to $200 a month for a gently used, comfortable Hyundai Sonata. I'd say id go with Uber, but id never do taxi/rideshare full time.

10. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    In 2000 I rented a cab for $165/day+gas...

After I paid the lease usually avg $100/day...

This was in Key West...

avg mileage per 12 hour shift...130 miles...

That's a lot of driving in circles on...

a 2mi X 4mi island...8>)

To me the difference is the 12 hour shift...

Rakos
    hqdefault-73.jpg

reg barclay likes this.
  11. Yes... the vehicles (taxis) do cost a lot to rent,

The difference is that that's all the cab company is getting off you.

If pay $73 to rent a taxi i'll probobly make $240-250 and keep $140-150

I couldn't even bring in that much after expenses doing uber/lyft.

When your charging 3X+ compared to uber rates, you can afford to drop $100 in expenses.

Rakos likes this.
  12. It varied day to day just like anything else. Some days you'd lose money. Some days you'd make hundreds. My biggest night was around $450. This was in a medium sized city with a big nightlife scene.

Rakos likes this.
  13. Lawlet91

Lawlet91

in my almost year of driving taxi i have yet to come close to losing money on a day of driving, my year of ubering though the the expenses as figured about 1/3 to 1/2 of days were driving at a loss and the rest barely turning a profit after catching up on expenses the bad days left.

Rakos likes this.
  14. dirtylee

dirtylee

Driving:
    UberX
    LMAO, cars r free right.

Cab vs Uber depends on how much local garages charge & how much you can make in a taxi for your market.

For example, in Dallas-Fort worth, some of these cab companies are charging as low as $30/day, no radio. So in a month, you've got guys paying $900 to use the taxi.

Uber FEE takes 25%. This isn't even counting the upfront scam. So if you drive $4,000 gross{not including tolls & tip} a month on Uber.
    After they take that 25%, you made 3,000. Using your own vehicle. Unlike the dummies that think $200/month/6years is the cost, realize that you will practically have to get a new car in 3 years or less. You also have to have insurance.

So, 3,000 - $500 car payment {3 years} - $150 insurance = $2350 take home after your real expenses, not including gas & maintenance.

A taxi making $4,000 gross a month in dfw, takes home $3,100 - gas.

Rakos likes this.
  15. I can't imagine not working with a dispatch of some sort. Then again I've never driven in a large market.

16. Uber/Lyfting is worse.

All the “perks” of being a cabbie with 1/3 the pay and the destruction of your own vehicle. At least you get to take the taxi to the company shop when it needs repairs. If it dies, you get a ‘new’ one from the lot.

As a rideshare Driver, if you run your car into the ground, you’re pretty much SOL. If you need a new anything, it comes out of your pocket.

OTOH, the Cab business is dying so it’s brutal trying to make a living as a cab driver in most cities. Uber/Lyft killed the yellow cab.

My husband was a successful hotel/airport/limo driver for years. Uber killed his business. I want to cry when he tells me that the “big fare” I just took used to pay 3-4x what I made. I feel depressed when I think about how much longer my new car is going to last. I feel even worse when I realize rideshare drivers will become obsolete in the not so distant future. It makes it all seem not worthwhile.

hanging in there and Rakos like this.
  17. whiskeyboat

whiskeyboat

Driving:
    UberX
    Almost drove a cab once but when I saw that the cab company would rent out as many cabs as they can regardless of saturation I said forget it.
    Uber will also saturate with drivers but since we are not committed to a rent / lease payment there is much less stress and a lot more flexibility.

Because of that flexibility rideshare is perfect for part-time but since you use your own car it is terrible for full-time.
    Full-time can still make decent money but you better be an expert at managing vehicle cost. That skill is not needed when you rent a cab but it is crucial when driving for rideshare.

The true winner as it always is in a market economy is the customer. Rides are now available quickly in almost part of town at almost any time of the day. That was not the case with the old system.

18. Enoch Shadkam

Enoch Shadkam

Driving:
    UberX
    Driving for Uber is easy

19. If you think about it, we kind of do pay the equivalent of a lease—except instead of a flat, $70, $90, $120 per day we pay a cut per fare. They get way more than the lease—AND they don’t actually provide a vehicle. Genius on U/L’s part.

It is good for those who just want to work part time though.

Rakos likes this.
  20. Uberingen

Uberingen

With Uber/Lyft I can make $250 in 300km.
    This info is for Toronto though.
    -$30 for gas
    -$30 for depreciation
    -$40 for HST (will actually be less with tax credits)
    $250 nets to $150 actual gross easily.