Is driving for U EATS any safer ?

Alltel77

I feel like I have just as much chance of catching this going to the grocery store, as I do delivering food. Probably more. A person could have sneezed 2 hours ago and you breathe that in and catch it.
That's the way I look at it too, I am trying to limit my grocery trips. I really think Publix should increase their employees pay during this , they are much more at risk than most. They used to be the place to work , now they hire all part timers keep them part time and pay $8-$9 demanding Nordstrom service.

Jimmy44

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the way I look at it too, I am trying to limit my grocery trips. I really think Publix should increase their employees pay during this , they are much more at risk than most. They used to be the place to work , now they hire all part timers keep them part time and pay $8-$9 demanding Nordstrom service.
I also limit my store trips to every other day. I try to keep my distance and only use self checkout. I wear those Playtex rubber gloves and Lysol them and my credit card when I get home.

Grace19

It's both contact and airborne.
It's an airborne disease that becomes contact when germs fall on objects and people touch it. This is a respiratory disease (thus airborne) first and foremost. Best thing to do to avoid it is stop being in close proximity to others and wash your hands and surfaces you touch frequently. Just use your head to stay disease free.

Elland Rd

I have never done Uber eats but cannot believe that it is safer then RS. Don't you have to be closer then 6 ft. from Restaurant employee's and the customer ?
I'm no doctor or germ expert. But my guess is that being in the confined space of a vehicle with pax is more risky than entering empty restaurants (assuming they are closed for dining) and picking up food, then dropping it on someone's doorstep. At least in the suburbs, where drivers don't have to enter apt buildings.

Handwashing/sanitizing and not touching face are things to remember if you are entering places and touching stuff. Obviously the safest thing is not to drive at all, delivery or pax.

NoPool4Me

Unfortunately not as prevalent in thr US. I use my phone to pay so never thought about it. But in Paris none of my cards had tap. Everyone looked at me like I was @@@@@@ed. I got all my cards replaced/ upgraded when I got back. Glad I did now.
Tap doesn't sound as secure. I'll just continue wiping card down with alcohol after usage.

Jimmy44

Tap doesn't sound as secure. I'll just continue wiping card down with alcohol after usage.
Yes I agree wash hands like crazy. Lysol car like crazy. My last week I would sign off soon as I got a ride. This made sure after the ride I could wipe car down between rides.

DriverMark

Perhaps. They can be "skimmed". But we have been purchasing RFID Blocking items for a while in our household. Like my wallet and my wife's purse. That makes it no more un-secure than giving to a waiter to go somewhere to swipe it.

In Europe and other places, the credit card machines are wireless. They bring it right to your table for you to "tap" (swipe, whatever). Europe they don't take the card from you to go and swipe it. Which is much more secure than the states. So the card doesn't leave your hands. USA is sssooooo far behind on these things.

Jimmy44

Perhaps. They can be "skimmed". But we have been purchasing RFID Blocking items for a while in our household. Like my wallet and my wife's purse. That makes it no more un-secure than giving to a waiter to go somewhere to swipe it.

In Europe and other places, the credit card machines are wireless. They bring it right to your table for you to "tap" (swipe, whatever). Europe they don't take the card from you to go and swipe it. Which is much more secure than the states. So the card doesn't leave your hands. USA is sssooooo far behind on these things.
Yes the only place I see using scanning are gas pumps and food drive thru's. At least very few use cash that's filthy.

VanGuy

I remember a pub a couple years ago telling me they had to turn off their wifi because somehow it interacted with their POS card scanners and made them way too sensitive. Basically the machines would pick a card at random in the pub and pay the bill with it. Sounds fishy but makes a good tale. :smiles:

Oscar Levant

I have never done Uber eats but cannot believe that it is safer then RS. Don't you have to be closer then 6 ft. from Restaurant employee's and the customer ?
It's safer, but you might want to wear gloves. Often, the food will be on a shelf and I just grab it. On deliveries, I'm leaving it at the doorstep most of the time.

It's better than people sitting in your car at close range. I don't let anyone in the front seat, and, in fact, I stopped UberX for the first time, today. UberEats has saved my butt, really. Not many people going anywhere any more.

Jimmy44

It's safer, but you might want to wear gloves. Often, the food will be on a shelf and I just grab it. On deliveries, I'm leaving it at the doorstep most of the time.

It's better than people sitting in your car at close range. I don't let anyone in the front seat, and, in fact, I stopped UberX for the first time, today. UberEats has saved my butt, really. Not many people going anywhere any more.
Yes it's impossible to maintain 6 ft distance in a vehicle. My last week I moved the passenger seat forward so riders would instinctively sit in back. Actually riders were thinking the same thing and most all conversation was virus related. I am glad UE is working for you. Stay safe out there.

dmurphy26

You guys don't have the "tap" feature down there ? Every single POS terminal here in Canada has it.

You don't even have to touch the POS terminal with your chip card. Just hover over it for a second.
Tap is on debit cards only not credit cards.
Post automatically merged:

Interesting thread. I stopped picking up people two weeks ago but I am willing to pick up food. It is no different than you (personally) going to pick up your groceries only with deliveries they hand you a bag and you drop it off.

DreamerfromCorp

Some companies (not ubereats of course) have some social distance culture. You show your order behind door, getting order from small Gap min contact.

trader joes customers have at least 6 ft distance at line. Food4less? Like train wagons
This is a significant concern particularly if you're in the "at greater risk" category. (One that seems very fluid based
on latest reports). I imagine with the increase in deliveries, not to mention competitors, chances must be higher
in being unable to maintain social distancing on pickups, presuming there's no drive through option, nor
orders brought to car.

Brewsster

All the restaurants in my area are doing delivery/take out only so they're always empty when I get there to pickup the food. I personally wear gloves when doing UE and I let the customer know that I will be leaving the food at their doorstep.