Is Delivery the new Money Maker?

Actionjax

So I have been doing a bit of hands on research for the past few weeks with Delivery as an option instead of pushing passengers around to see if it's actually viable to make money. And if it's a profitable venture. Here is what I was able to find out.

Services Tried

- DoorDash
- Skip
-Uber Eats

Hours run

Kept it consistent running 3:30 PM till about 7:30 PM on Tuesday Thursday Friday and Weekends from 10 AM will about 2PM. (Varried a bit depending on when the schedule came out)

Breakdown on each service

DoorDash

-Scheduled Hours or jump on if spots available. This is good because they cap the drivers in an area in an effort to keep busy. You could drive to other areas if the need rises. Almost a flexible option.
- Pickups tend to have wait times. I have had to wait for food more times than not and the App tells you when the food should be ready. They give you plenty of time to get there so many times you are early on the time hence the wait. They will inform you in app when the food is ready at the place.
- You sometimes will need to pay for the food using the DoorDash red card. (basically a prepaid visa debit) Money is transferred to the card so you can pay for it. But some fast food places you actually place the order.
- You are given what you are paid up front. But you don't know how much is a Tip and what is for travel time. They tell you what your tip is on a shift at the end. Not per order so there is no penalizing a cheep skate.
- DoorDash expects the delivery driver to check each delivery and ensure it in good shape. you are the quality control in the equation. Therefore heat bags are a must.
Not very busy in some areas. Could be hours before an order. Best to use this with a supplement income.

Skip the Dishes

- Scheduled hours only. could get on during busy times but rare. Sometimes options come up to extend shift but you are completing as a pool so it could disappear fast.
- Most food is ready but some you need to wait if you are close to the place of business. Some don't get some items ready till you are actually there. (Like fries). Talking to some of the owners of the restaurants they say there are times they wait a long time for drivers to show up and they need to prepare the food all over again and waste it. So some are in final prep as you drive to avoid spoilage. You are paid wait time bit it's not much. Something like $1 every 5 min after 10 min.
- You are told what the transit time and the Tip is when the order comes in. There is now a countdown timer to reject an order after 2 min. Before you had to write to support to bounce an order if it didn't have a tip. Most tip but you still have some who think not tipping or a $0.50 tip is all that's required. I now bounce all of those orders. Before when I first started with Skip I took everything thinking I had to. @Pyton I need to thank for his tip on that. Since then my profitability has increased. I have seen some non tip orders with times of over an hour waiting for a driver. Now we know why restaurants are frustrated. Not their fault but they are feeling the flack.
- You are paid travel time to and from the place of business where you are. Not a lot but not bad overall.
- Delivery bags a must and most places want to see you bring it in.
- you don't see what is ordered so you can't check things over.
- You are limited to the area they set you up in. So you can't just go online downtown if you are in North York. (But haven't fully researched that yet if they can put you in a different area on request)

Uber

- Not much needs to be said about Uber. They are busy but don't expect any tips. It's rare on the platform. There is no bag requirements and you are paid for the delivery only. They drive to the place is on you. So you could drive 5 min top deliver across the street. Uber is changing that a bit now as you are given a min payment amount to drive a long way to get the food. It's something better than it used to be.
- You can do it anytime anywhere.
- Food is almost alway ready to go. (McD's is the exception as you wait 9/10 times)

So with that said what was I making.

On average sticking to Skip as the primary I was sitting at about $20 -$25 an hour. Long as the consistently were sending me orders. I would supplement with the other 2 if I waited too long with Skip. But Skip for earnings looked to be the true winner. I have been using less KM on my car and you don't need to worry about any of the following.

Positives

- HST submissions
- PTC licence issues
- No 7 year car restriction (Get a used Prius and go is your best bet)
- Car washes are purely optional.
- Clean car not required
- Don't need to unload my child seat to do it.
- I can listen to Audio Books and learn some stuff.
- Drive like a maniac. (Well not endorsing this but you don't have somone looking over your shoulder on your driving)
- Take whatever route you see fit and if you make a mistake no one needs to know.
- Learn about new places to eat oil your city. I discovered new places to eat that I would have never consiodered before walking in the door
- No need to get a safety done
- no winter tire requirement
- Stay close to home
- Get some exercise and be active

Negitives

- No surge
- You need to buy yourself bags. (Skip charges $50 for a bag set but use it on all platforms) They also require you to have a pizza bag to hold 4 pizza. Most don't have that.
- You will cap out at $25 an hour. Some might be hitting more but I haven't yet. Average is $20
- your car will have some interesting smells in it, some good some bad.
- Parking can be an issue. This is where creative parking comes in.
- Each delivery on average takes longer than a ride.
- Sucks in the rain. Get a good rain jacket
- You could be waiting a long time till next order

So in summary I would tell anyone who is going to hit their 7 years on their car and don't want to get suckered into a new one, Delivery is a good option. nOr for anyone who is sick of doing Uber/Lyft. With saturation being at an all time high right now and with summer with students excited to do Uber while school is off this might be a good alternative. Skip and Dash both put limits in place per shift so there I some protection built in there. And to be honest I drive less KM now and make slightly lower what I made doing Uber. To me the trade off is good provided I get the shifts I want.

Next week they only put me on the schedule for 1 day. Thats why you need backup. There is no telling what you will get for your hours.

Hope this was helpful to the horde out there.

P.S. there is no Skip signup bonus. So don't ask me for a code. You are all on your own to sign up.

Treecar

You say there is no bag requirements for Uber, but for some restaurants there is bag requirements. You get a special message with every delivery. The message might say, "please bring the delivery bag." Usually pizza places and those higher-class restaurants will say delivery bag is requirement. McDonalds uses its own bags.

I wouldn't call food delivery a "money maker." It doesn't take much skills except having a driving license, maybe. The real money makers are jobs that actually use a big skill set.

dmoney155

So I have been doing a bit of hands on research for the past few weeks with Delivery as an option instead of pushing passengers around to see if it's actually viable to make money. And if it's a profitable venture. Here is what I was able to find out.

Services Tried

- DoorDash
- Skip
-Uber Eats

Hours run

Kept it consistent running 3:30 PM till about 7:30 PM on Tuesday Thursday Friday and Weekends from 10 AM will about 2PM. (Varried a bit depending on when the schedule came out)

DoorDash

-Scheduled Hours or jump on if spots available. This is good because they cap the drivers in an area in an effort to keep busy. You could drive to other areas if the need rises. Almost a flexible option.
- Pickups tend to have wait times. I have had to wait for food more times than not and the App tells you when the food should be ready. They give you plenty of time to get there so many times you are early on the time hence the wait. They will inform you in app when the food is ready at the place.
- You sometimes will need to pay for the food using the DoorDash red card. (basically a prepaid visa debit) Money is transferred to the card so you can pay for it. But some fast food places you actually place the order.
- You are given what you are paid up front. But you don't know how much is a Tip and what is for travel time. They tell you what your tip is on a shift at the end. Not per order so there is no penalizing a cheep skate.
- DoorDash expects the delivery driver to check each delivery and ensure it in good shape. you are the quality control in the equation. Therefore heat bags are a must.
Not very busy in some areas. Could be hours before an order. Best to use this with a supplement income.

Skip the Dishes

- Scheduled hours only. could get on during busy times but rare. Sometimes options come up to extend shift but you are completing as a pool so it could disappear fast.
- Most food is ready but some you need to wait if you are close to the place of business. Some don't get some items ready till you are actually there. (Like fries). Talking to some of the owners of the restaurants they say there are times they wait a long time for drivers to show up and they need to prepare the food all over again and waste it. So some are in final prep as you drive to avoid spoilage. You are paid wait time bit it's not much. Something like $1 every 5 min after 10 min.
- You are told what the transit time and the Tip is when the order comes in. There is now a countdown timer to reject an order after 2 min. Before you had to write to support to bounce an order if it didn't have a tip. Most tip but you still have some who think not tipping or a $0.50 tip is all that's required. I now bounce all of those orders. Before when I first started with Skip I took everything thinking I had to. @Pyton I need to thank for his tip on that. Since then my profitability has increased. I have seen some non tip orders with times of over an hour waiting for a driver. Now we know why restaurants are frustrated. Not their fault but they are feeling the flack.
- You are paid travel time to and from the place of business where you are. Not a lot but not bad overall.
- You are limited to the area they set you up in. So you can't just go online downtown if you are in North York. (But haven't fully researched that yet if they can put you in a different area on request)

Uber

- Not much needs to be said about Uber. They are busy but don't expect any tips. It's rare on the platform. There is no bag requirements and you are paid for the delivery only. They drive to the place is on you. So you could drive 5 min top deliver across the street. Uber is changing that a bit now as you are given a min payment amount to drive a long way to get the food. It's something better than it used to be.
- Food is almost alway ready to go. (McD's is the exception as you wait 9/10 times)

On average sticking to Skip as the primary I was sitting at about $20 -$25 an hour. Long as the consistently were sending me orders. I would supplement with the other 2 if I waited too long with Skip. But Skip for earnings looked to be the true winner. I have been using less KM on my car and you don't need to worry about any of the following.

Positives

- HST submissions
- PTC licence issues
- Clean car not required
- Drive like a maniac. (Well not endorsing this but you don't have somone looking over your shoulder on your driving)
- Take whatever route you see fit and if you make a mistake no one needs to know.
- Learn about new places to eat oil your city. I discovered new places to eat that I would have never consiodered before walking in the door
- Stay close to home

Negitives

- No surge
- You need to buy yourself bags. (Skip charges $50 for a bag set but use it on all platforms) They also require you to have a pizza bag to hold 4 pizza. Most don't have that.
- You will cap out at $25 an hour. Some might be hitting more but I haven't yet. Average is $20

So in summary I would tell anyone who is going to hit their 7 years on their car and don't want to get suckered into a new one, Delivery is a good option. nOr for anyone who is sick of doing Uber/Lyft. With saturation being at an all time high right now and with summer with students excited to do Uber while school is off this might be a good alternative. Skip and Dash both put limits in place per shift so there I some protection built in there. And to be honest I drive less KM now and make slightly lower what I made doing Uber. To me the trade off is good provided I get the shifts I want.

Next week they only put me on the schedule for 1 day. Thats why you need backup. There is no telling what you will get for your hours.

P.S. there is no Skip signup bonus. So don't ask me for a code. You are all on your own to sign up.
thanks for sharing.

Actionjax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You say there is no bag requirements for Uber, but for some restaurants there is bag requirements. You get a special message with every delivery. The message might say, "please bring the delivery bag." Usually pizza places and those higher-class restaurants will say delivery bag is requirement. McDonalds uses its own bags.

I wouldn't call food delivery a "money maker." It doesn't take much skills except having a driving license, maybe. The real money makers are jobs that actually use a big skill set.
I would say to do it right it does take some skill. For example parking, proper food care. Keeping the bag level? Delivering in odd places. I come up with about just as many challenges with delivery as picking up passengers. Sometimes more.

As for the bag requirement I was referring to the company doctrine. Uber does NOT require a driver to have a bag. The place of business does. Where the other services like DoorDash and Skip says you must have the bag at all times.

instalyfuberfy

I would say to do it right it does take some skill.
Just curious - your English is perfect, posts are well-worded, intelligent and smart. Obviously you are not fresh from the boat, like most of us frikin immigrants. Why you stuck with uber and deliveries in general?

RideshareDog

Also left out parking tickets as I'm sure a lot of delivery drivers get frequently during rush hours
Post automatically merged:

Oh and navigating these rediculous condos. Both to get in and to get to the apartment isn't fun.
Just cuz these a holes aren't in your car doesn't mean they can't be a holes during deliveries.
MacDonalds enough said

If I do delivery it would be in the summer on an ebike

Last edited:

Speedy_Gonzales

I would say to do it right it does take some skill. For example parking, proper food care. Keeping the bag level? Delivering in odd places. I come up with about just as many challenges with delivery as picking up passengers. Sometimes more.

As for the bag requirement I was referring to the company doctrine. Uber does NOT require a driver to have a bag. The place of business does. Where the other services like DoorDash and Skip says you must have the bag at all times.
I drove same-day courier in the city in early 2000’s, and I can say, delivering packages is much more challenging than people. Parking and routing (with time limits) is way more challenging than driving people around. The only challenge I have with driving people around is removing the damn cigarette smoke out of my cabin before pickup, all else is easy peezy.

dmoney155

Would doing it on the bike be more profitable. I know number of trips you able to complete would go down, but expenses would also be next to none. I consider doing the bike thing, mostly cuz it will be exercising and getting paid for it :smiles:

Speedy_Gonzales

Just curious - your English is perfect, posts are well-worded, intelligent and smart. Obviously you are not fresh from the boat, like most of us frikin immigrants. Why you stuck with uber and deliveries in general?
Are you saying a fluent English speaking white person cant do deliveries? In the 70’s and 80’s all taxi drivers were grimey white hicks, Italians, Greeks and Eastern Europeans... Now it’s indians, Pakistanis , Africans and Arabs. It’s all good, times change. But Jax has another job, to answer your question, he, I assume, does this for extra income and interest in the industry.

Services Tried

- DoorDash
- Skip
-Uber Eats

Hours run

DoorDash

Skip the Dishes

Uber

Positives

- HST submissions
- PTC licence issues
- Clean car not required
- Stay close to home

Negitives

- No surge

Thanks for this info Jax. My buddy does skip and he makes about $1000 per week between 40-50 hours. Not bad but not great. I mean most Uber drivers make less when you take out HST anyways. He also drives less KM and has a crap box of a car, spends less on gas too.

Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, Jax. Some questions:

For Skip, how does the scheduling work exactly? Can you request 4/6/8 hour shifts only? Will they send the schedule for the upcoming week at the beginning of the week?
Are you designated for a specific area of the city?
Any idea how suburbs compare with downtown in terms of volume?

Are you saying a fluent English speaking white person cant do deliveries? In the 70’s and 80’s all taxi drivers were grimey white hicks, Italians, Greeks and Eastern Europeans... Now it’s indians, Pakistanis , Africans and Arabs. It’s all good, times change. But Jax has another job, to answer your question, he, I assume, does this for extra income and interest in the industry.
^^This. Not all of us on here are new immigrants.

Actionjax

I think you miss the point I also don't mind learning for my own curiosity and to share to help others. I'm not stuck with anything. I just like reducing my taxes at the end of the year that used to be in the thousands.

As an immigrant you could also learn that not all imigrants are doing odd jobs to get by.

For Skip, how does the scheduling work exactly? Can you request 4/6/8 hour shifts only? Will they send the schedule for the upcoming week at the beginning of the week?
You give them availability and the put a schedule around those hours. I was getting 3 hour and 4 hour blocks. But if you have more time they can give you X2 4 hour blocks to make 8. But I don't think they schedule just 5 hours for example. Unless last minute an opportunity comes to extend the shift.

You can set Availability every Wednesday for the following week. You can also say it reoccurs every week on that so it's on autopilot.

Are you designated for a specific area of the city?
I chose North York. That is from Leslie to the airport North to #7 and South to Lawerence so it's a big area.

Any idea how suburbs compare with downtown in terms of volume?
No idea...only did North York. It's busy but I am sure downtown is slammed.

uber_from_the north

Well thanks for the info. I used to do Uber Eats and I was making a consistent $25-30/hr. I even have 2 eats accounts with them. But when the boost disappeared and saturation kicked in harder. I lost interest after I made $10/hr a few times.

I had a thread that I gave eats a second chance but it didn't impress me at all.

Maybe in the future if i feel like my uber X car has been getting beaten up too much, and got sick with all these paxholes I'll use my 2005 second car and go back to "delivering only" as my side gig.

uber_from_the north

Yeah I got a negative feedback from Popeyes. The manager asked for my bag and I argue that it's not required for uber you can check with them. He downrate me and posted a negative feedback on my profile for not having a bag. It still sits on my profile. Not sure when can I have uber removed it for me.

Actionjax

Yeah I got a negative feedback from Popeyes. The manager asked for my bag and I argue that it's not required for uber you can check with them. He downrate me and posted a negative feedback on my profile for not having a bag. It still sits on my profile. Not sure when can I have uber removed it for me.
Comes off after 100 deliveries from that point.

I also convert to doing delivery only. It suits my circumstances well than driving people. My concern is next year tax time, I will not collect any HST for this entire year because delivery income doesn't come with HST. So do we still have to do HST report as self employed and 0$ HST collected? (Since we have business number with CRA). Is there a different business code for Ubereats to classify when doing tax return?

Stephentong

I also convert to doing delivery only. It suits my circumstances well than driving people. My concern is next year tax time, I will not collect any HST for this entire year because delivery income doesn't come with HST. So do we still have to do HST report as self employed and 0$ HST collected? (Since we have business number with CRA). Is there a different business code for Ubereats to classify when doing tax return?
When filing HST report, enter your Ubereats income in your total sales and enter zero in HST amount collected.Use industry code 492110 (Courier). As a courier you are not required to register HST as you are not charging or collecting GST (interlining). but you can benefit from registering HST since you are able to claim input tax credits for hst you pay on expenses related to your interline services.

Delivery is my money maker since four years ago. Last year I made $68,000 for UberEats. For the first three months of this year I made $17,000 for Eats. I need to do less starting from this month as soon as I knew I would receive $13,340 appreciation reward. I cannot afford to pay too much income tax. It is nightmare for last year income tax.

Last edited:

Yam Digger

My little bro did UberEATS only (car too old for X) until recently. He used to go out on Monday Friday, and Saturday. I was talking to him about it last night and he says it’s so slow, he doesn’t bother with it anymore. Not worth his time.

Too many drivers, he says. Told me how he saw this really old Chinese couple who could barely walk doing EATS as a team. They came into Micky D’s with an iPad that had cellular data on it to do a delivery. When he saw that, he realized, that’s it. This gig is done.

djmc

The new money maker is being creative and original instead of doing what everyone else is doing :wink: