Is deadheading back from AP to the Eastside worth the gas consumption?

Marco Solo

I've found some consistent success in early-morning AP runs from the Eastside, but the downside of my strategy is that I never catch any rematches from 0500-0700. I've been deadheading back from the AP to the Eastside to put myself back in position for more AP runs, and often get a second AP run from there.

I start my AM shift driving up I-405 from the south to my fishing hole. After an initial AP run down I-405, followed by deadheading back up to the Eastside, I will have used 1/8 tank of gas. (My tank holds nearly 11 gallons, and I get about 35 mpg.) After 2 roundtrip AP runs, I might be down to 3/4 of a tank.

This is getting expensive. Since I began eschewing Boost zones in Seattle during the AM commute in favor of early-morning AP runs, my full tanks are only lasting me about 1.5 days, instead of 2-3 days.

Should I skip returning to my Eastside fishing hole after the first AP run, and just deadhead in a different direction into DT Seattle instead? (Or to Federal Way?) It's a lot closer than the Eastside, and would save me gas. In my Eastside fishing hole, I can reliably expect that pings before 0530 will be AP runs. But in DT Seattle before 0700, my experience has been that most of the pings I get are for people commuting to work. Granted, sometimes they'll turn out to be someone going from a DT hotel across the lake to MS, but I hate getting trapped in DT for short AM commute trips.

Of course, a single $25 AP run will pay for an entire fill-up...

Last edited:

The Ghost of Travis

I couldn't imagine voluntarily going to the Eastside. But I dont have any fishing holes over there, I just want to get back to Seattle ASAP.

heynow321

Uh I think you answered your own question. You’re wasting gas

I couldn't imagine voluntarily going to the Eastside. But I dont have any fishing holes over there, I just want to get back to Seattle ASAP.

Yeah the eastside is the worst. Stay away from it! Too many cheap msft employees

Dammit Mazzacane

I. In my Eastside fishing hole, I can reliably expect that pings before 0530 will be AP runs. .... course, a single $25 AP run will pay for an entire fill-up...

That fishing hole must be near Renton or something. I perceive I have found myself fishing in the same area with success.
To answer the Q, in my opinion: I’d do it if the ROI compared to gas cost and time scrambling back north works (this depends on traffic). But while it may be effective I doubt it’s optimal.

One hampering factor is by having a car that gets 35 mpg, you can’t sit at the lot because of mpg requirements.

dimwit_driver

I'm curious: are you actually expecting rematches in the 5-7 time range? You really might want to research flight arrival times.

Risab1981

East side can be a gold mine. My first time out with my new XL/Select car was a Sunday. I started with a Select AP run from Kent. Since I have no TNC sticker, I had to drop and go without being able to go down to X and grab a re-match. I decided to drive up 405/ I90 instead of I-5. Got an AP run again from over there, so I decided to do it again, and again. I made almost $600 that day between rides & tips, never had more that 4 people in my car and burned about 3/4 of a tank of gas ($30-$35)

Marco Solo

I'm curious: are you actually expecting rematches in the 5-7 time range? You really might want to research flight arrival times.
No, I've never expected rematches at those times. I mentioned it only because it was a factor in why I was deadheading back up to the Eastside.

East side can be a gold mine.
Concur. I can make my daily goal in just 4 hours on the Eastside. Then I can knock off before lunchtime starts.

mark_mark

East side can be a gold mine. My first time out with my new XL/Select car was a Sunday. I started with a Select AP run from Kent. Since I have no TNC sticker, I had to drop and go without being able to go down to X and grab a re-match. I decided to drive up 405/ I90 instead of I-5. Got an AP run again from over there, so I decided to do it again, and again. I made almost $600 that day between rides & tips, never had more that 4 people in my car and burned about 3/4 of a tank of gas ($30-$35)
now every XL -X - UberEats, knows your route... kiss you $600 good bye

Marco Solo

Seriously. I’ve never known the eastside to ever be worth anything. You might get lucky for an airport ride once a week
I get an AP run from the Eastside almost every morning, and get at least 3 afternoon AP runs from there each week.

Two AP runs is $50 bucks, if I read that correctly.
Typical AP run is $25-$28. With tip (usually at least $5-$7), 2 runs = more like $60-$70.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
It's only worth it if you have a Prius (50+ MPG) and you do this before 405 starts getting backed up. Once I did 5 back to back airport runs from a certain tech conference in Bellevue. This was before Re-Match. I stopped around 3:30 pm even though there were more runs to be had. At $20.00 a ride it's great as long as your moving, but by 3:30 pm traffic had made it so it was an hour each way.

Skinny1

I sometimes cringe at a base airport run from the city.... much shorter distance ... if there’s a possibility I have to dead head back.

What does that tell you?

Cheese (surge) or boost... now that changes things. I actually skipped an airport run this AM (45min ping) that was base with all the boost going on around it.

Yooper

3173434120_dd7dec10d3_n.jpg