• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Is a compass on the phone needed that much?

calrodz23

Hi! I'm about to start as an Uber driver but can't find any info about wheter it is necessary to have a compass on the phone, I've seen the requirements like: A-GPS and GLONASS... but nothing about compass... I'm asking because I bought a phone a couple of months ago and it doesn't have it and depending on the tips I will consider of changing it. So, in your experience is it really needed? Does it help when trying to find a way to the customer or in general city guidance? Also any tips are appreciated!

Iann

A flip phone should work as long as you have a paper map and a compass on your dash.

ratethis

Nope, it’s not necessary, you can drive without it... you know which is the northern star right? Just always keep the sun on your right and the moon on your left.. ?

Just kidding, you’ll be fine with the map on your phone ?

Skepticaldriver

Woah. What do u mean theres no compass. All modern smartphones have internal compass. Even circa 2012 ones. What are you trying to use. A nokia brick.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Hi! I'm about to start as an Uber driver but can't find any info about wheter it is necessary to have a compass on the phone, I've seen the requirements like: A-GPS and GLONASS... but nothing about compass... I'm asking because I bought a phone a couple of months ago and it doesn't have it and depending on the tips I will consider of changing it. So, in your experience is it really needed? Does it help when trying to find a way to the customer or in general city guidance? Also any tips are appreciated!
Welcome to the forum.

I can tell you’re a little bit older and perhaps new to smart phones. A compass isn’t necessary to do rideshare. However all smartphones do have internal compasses.

I suggest you google videos of basic smartphone use, then google videos about operating the Uber app for beginners. If you have questions after that post it and the community will be happy to help. Good luck!

ZenUber

One of the GPS views will give you a map oriented to due north. You won't need a compass.