1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

is 200 a week part time in Houston unrealistic?

Discussion in 'Houston' started by tootsie, Sep 12, 2015.

1. tootsie

tootsie Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    A lot of people do not appear to be happy driving for Uber. I'm curious is it people working full or part time. What were your financial expectations? If I can net 200 a week Part time I'll be happy. Is this unrealistic?

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Old Rocker

Old Rocker Well-Known Member

My goal is $250 a week (before expenses). I drive five days a week, between three and five hours a day. This week will be close since a couple of days I had to cut the day short, Thursday it took forever to get anywhere in the rain, and I haven't had any airport trips this week.

I'm going to work tomorrow morning before the football game, I'm not sure about after the game.

tohunt4me and Richard Cranium like this.
  3. tripAces

tripAces Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It depends on where you drive and riders. If you get alot of short trips it could be a up hill battle.
    When you get TNC and chase guarantees think it would be doable. Working in suburb could be hit or miss. There is alot more drivers on the wknd. And about to be alot more drivers all the time. The burbs are the last place to catch on to Uber.

tohunt4me and Richard Cranium like this.
  4. Old Rocker

The last Sunday I worked, I drove for about 3.5 hours, had six pax, and made just a tad under my $50 goal.

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. Kmiles

Kmiles Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I can do $200 in a day. You've got to know what areas to avoid.

6. itsablackmarket

itsablackmarket Well-Known Member

Isn't that all areas...? I mean every area is potentially bad from my experience. It's a hit or miss wherever you go.

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. UberMensch2015

UberMensch2015 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    200 a week. Your best hourly take home after ubers cut will be 25 an hour on busy nights with a lot of lucky surges. Most nights will be 12.50 an hour after uber cut. So figure 15 an hour to be safe as long as you are willing to drive inside the loop late weekends. So figure 14 hours a week. If you just want to drive weekday evenings it will be close to 20 hours a week.

Factor in depreciation on your car and gas you'll need to drive 18-30 hours a week to net back "real" 200.

If you live in the suburbs add another 15% of time since you have to drive to the busy spots. Subtract 15% if you're lucky enough to have an uberselect car.

Here's what will happen though. You will drive like a madman and accept every ride and see a gross of 200 after 10 hours and think you're great and uber is awesome. After 2 months you'll realize it's a joke. A few bad nights of losing money after factoring in real costs and you'll quit. Or like most drivers you will never favor in depreciation and convince yourself that you're making money.

UberOn.

8. UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Oh you'll also get 3 dollars in tips a week so don't forget to count that!

nowiwannabeyourdog and tohunt4me like this.
  9. Bukrub

Bukrub Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't forget your 15.3% self employment tax. Also Uber will put milege on your 1099 so if you don't have another business your dead miles are on you.

10. UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Correct good point. Half is tax deductible and I earn out of social security because I make more than 119k at my regular job. If you don't, take (6.2 + 1.45)/2 + (6.2 + 1.45) off as well.

If you make over the taxable wage base the calculation is (1.45) + (6.2 + 1.45)/2

Shorter math is 5.275 percent for those making over 119 a year or 11.475 for those who don't.

doing this fast on my phone so someone should check my math but I think it's dead on.

There is an additional small tax for those in the highest tax bracket as well, but it hits around 2% of filers.

11. UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Remember this all on net so after you deduct mileage expense your taxable income on your 200 gross will be about 10 bucks. Proof of how dumb driving for uber is if you don't just drive select and surges.

12. tootsie

Driving:
    UberX
    That's a lot of info and I greatly appreciate it! The only part I don't get is the depreciation part everyone speaks of. Shouldn't that only matter to me If I wanted to sell my vehicle at a later date? I don't sell cars I drive them till the wheels fall off lol. Before gas went up, I used to drive aimlessly for free every weekend. Driving really was my hobby so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

13. UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Ugh. Sorry to sound rude but this is how uber makes money off people like you. Of course depreciation matters. your car is an asset just like your house. It has value. If you plan to ride it until it dies driving uber will make it die faster. Then you'll have to replace it. That costs money. So does gas, and brakes, and tires, and windshield wiper fluid. All of these things will need to be replaced faster because you drive your car for uber. And that costs money.

If you don't think it's a real cost why aren't you out driving people for free? If you never plan to sell your car why would giving free rides matter to you? Just do it for the experience man! Meet new people!

14. itsablackmarket

That's not even a valid reason to drive anymore. You're not going to meet any interesting people on Uber anymore. All of the interesting people fled, and all that's left now is cheap scum.

15. UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I guess i forgot my sarcasm tag

16. itsablackmarket

I just think it's amazing how the riderbase has degenerated so much in one year.

17. UberMensch2015

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Agreed. That's why I won't take an uberx ride if it's not surge. The worst of the worst won't even pay surge so it becomes a decent filter. Uberselect only otherwise.

18. tootsie

Driving:
    UberX
    Lol what do u mean u people! I used to give rides to people for free all the time I call those people friends. Now I want to make money off of it! I will be taking into factor the upkeep, gas but depreciation not so much. Usually it's not a car that breaks down its a part and parts are replaceable. My 06 Chevy Impala transmission went out in 09. 180k miles and that was my most expensive repair and ran me bout 700 parts n labor . N I promise 100k of those miles came from joy riding and speeding . It's now almost 2016 and the wheels still have not falling off.

19. Bukrub

Bukrub Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And you can't use that car anymore once it hits 150k miles.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  20. Old Rocker

Depreciation doesn't get factored in because it's not a factor unless you are buying the vehicle as a capital expense and use it only for Ubering. Then, you can depreciate it over five years. If you sell it after it has been fully depreciated (if you bought it as your Uber vehicle), then you pay taxes on the salvage income.

If you want to trade in, say an eight year old car, unless you have some sort of astronomical number of miles on it and trashed it out, the difference between a high mileage and average mileage car is only going to be a few hundred dollars per year spread over those eight years.

Just go to Edmunds or some other site. For example, the difference in trade in value between a 2007 Prius with 200,000 miles and 90,000 miles is $2,400. That's a lot, but if we're 'deprecating' it over eight years, that's $300 a year difference, or less than a dollar a day in 'depreciation.'

This deprecation argument people use only works if the item in question has infinite value and is in some endless cycle of depreciation.