Is 16 MPG in a Camry About Right? Also, Thinking About UberSUV

Inshur

Slow Joe

Fuel costs are unexpectedly high for me. But 16 MPG in a four banger Camry? That can't be right, can it?

I talked it over with my wife and I'm probably going to buy an SUV of some kind, because she owns a tour guiding business and I could drive for some of her tours with a big vehicle (at $80-140/hour for a minimum six hours!) but with this rental Toyota killing me on gas, I'm scared what a Highlander or--God help me--Tahoe would do to me on UberX.

Are the higher fares worth it?

censoredbytheFCC

Fuel costs are unexpectedly high for me. But 16 MPG in a four banger Camry? That can't be right, can it?

I talked it over with my wife and I'm probably going to buy an SUV of some kind, because she owns a tour guiding business and I could drive for some of her tours with a big vehicle (at $80-140/hour for a minimum six hours!) but with this rental Toyota killing me on gas, I'm scared what a Highlander or--God help me--Tahoe would do to me on UberX.

I work on automobiles and small sport aircraft.

I get like 20-21 on my 2014 Camry and 38 on the highway. These are some common causes:

-Low air pressure on a tire or two. This makes your mileage suck hard. Be sure it is filled at the shop and check it in your walk-around inspection before you drive
-Air filter is clogged or caked in dirt. Engines need air to mix with fuel to properly combust in the cylinder heads. The less air your engine gets due to clogged air filters, the more fuel the computer will send out to the injectors to do the job. Have the shop replace the air filter.
-You are probably driving too aggressively and revving up. Keep your speed steady and don't randomly rev the engine.
- Head gasket leakage. If you check your engine oil and find spots of white and green, this means your head gasket might be blown and is mixing coolant and oil in the cylinders. Have the shop inspect the head gasket and verify it's not leaking. This can be catastrophic if it blows out entirely on the road.

UBERPIMP69

Do no get a Tahoe. Get a Suburban and sign up with a black car base and do Uber on the side. If not buy any pieceof shit hybrid you can and sign up for any livery base that would let you do Uber (see other thread). The less overhead you have the better

observer

I once had two company cars, both Camrys, one four cylinder the other six cylinder. Both identical except for engine size. I got almost same MPG. I think the 4 cylinder is too small for the weight of the car.

Slow Joe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do no get a Tahoe. Get a Suburban and sign up with a black car base and do Uber on the side. If not buy any pieceof shit hybrid you can and sign up for any livery base that would let you do Uber (see other thread). The less overhead you have the better
Is there a significant difference between a Suburban and a Tahoe? I know the Suburban is longer and has more storage space. Isn't that it?

UBERPIMP69

A traditional black car base will accept a Suburban not a Tahoe. Or they will give you black car calls not SUV calls. Uber takes everything for SUV though, so if you are going to do uber exclusively get a Tahoe. If you want to make more money with a black car base get a sub

Slow Joe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why are there so many Toyota Highlanders on the road? On Uber, they're nothing but an UberXL. Are there bases that pay well for having a Highlander?

UBERPIMP69

Yeah, altohugh im not sure which ones but I spoke to a driver who was using his highlander for a black car base as well.

ubernyc

dont get a short version of an suv, NEVER. bases wont accept it. and ye many highlanders/suburbans u see are affiliated with bases and do uber when slow.

RightTurnClyde

16MPG in a four pot Camry? That's not right even for all city driving unless you drive like a maniac. Do you wait around idling a lot or something? I doubt much of anything not easily noticeable would mechanically cause THAT bad of gas mileage except maybe a completely failed mass air flow sensor, and even that would most certainly pop a engine code for a lean mixture. Something doesn't add up...

Inshur New York