• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

IRS Standard Mileage Rates for 2019 See Increase and a Major Change

FLKeys

I just have a hard time trusting any electronic methods of tracking my mileage. If I did start using one I guess I would still keep a paper record to confirm it is correct. I have seen people report that their electronic record keeping is off by a certain percentage. One person said 6%. 6% of 20,000 miles is a big loss of deductible miles.

george_lol

I tried one of these apps; problem I find is that none of them can record each individual trip origination and destination addresses. Which therefore is useless to me. An IRS auditor will insist on this info.
Triplog can record the addresses simply by taping the stop button on the widget. No need to restart the app, it's automatic once you start driving again.

I just have a hard time trusting any electronic methods of tracking my mileage. If I did start using one I guess I would still keep a paper record to confirm it is correct. I have seen people report that their electronic record keeping is off by a certain percentage. One person said 6%. 6% of 20,000 miles is a big loss of deductible miles.
Electronic methods don't take into consideration things like tire size and gear ratios that are individual to a car make and model. If they did they could be more accurate. Also, the GPS available for commercial use is not as accurate as say for the military. I use Triplog and it records more miles than my odometer so I adjust the odometer in the app every other day.

Darrell Green Fan

With Triplog use one of the widgets and just tap the stop button whenever you want to record an address. It will automatically restart when you start driving again. The log also includes your route on a map.
This is a great tip, thanks. I did confirm with my tax person that you need to record each stop and I had no idea how that can be done. I mean we've got all kinds of things to keep track of when running both Uber and Lyft guess this is one more. Sucks.

Leo130

Guys I need help..first year doing Uber and I’m not sure how much I’m going to owe In taxes. Is it typically a lot? I just need to get a rough estimate

mmn

Probably somewhere between 20-25% of your income with no deductions. However, most take at least the standard mileage deduction which for 2019 is $.58/mile (online miles). That's pretty significant. - $58 for every 100 miles.

My advice is to pony up and get some professional tax advice from one who knows the rideshare business. And btw that's a deductible expense!

Stevie The magic Unicorn

What market your in has a bigger impact on how much you will owe than how much you make. Also XL classed vehicles will generate more in taxable profit that X-only vehicles. With Select being even higher.

Additionally... if your generating high percentage of surge fares you will owe more in taxes.

On top of this..

The more of your income that's based on incentives, the more you owe in taxes.

So if you have lots of base rate orlando uberX fares you won't owe anything, even if you made $20,000

But if you had $5,000 in Seattle with all surges you'll owe money.

tohunt4me

Unless you are driving black I don't know how anyone can have any taxable income on U/L. For simple math, you drive 125 miles in a day. You are the worlds best Uber driver and have a pax for 100 of those miles. You write off 125 x .545 per mile which translates to $68.13 in deductions. Let's say you earn $.65 per mile, (clt is $.607), you have income of $65, plus your hourly for those 100 miles. So before you receive your hourly, you are at a $3.13 LOSS. More common would be that a driver drives 200 miles ($109) deduction and income of $65 for 100 miles driven with passenger. Even when hourly is factored in, the driver will have no taxable income. For those of you that have Android, google keeps track of all your miles in the cloud. In the event of an audit, it would be very easy to print out with your mileage from purchase of car to audit date. The information is overwhelming and includes stops and duration of stops.
You can only write off losses for 3 years in a Row !

Thus i deliver Pizza all year Last year only job.

Now i can return to Uber and Lose for 3 MORE YEARS !

When i had my own business
Changing title of co. D.B.A. slightly every 3 years did the trick.
So if you are operating under local business license you can continue to lose by changing name.

Darrell Green Fan

I use Miles IQ for my sales job but it's tedious, it won't record each stop until you wait for like 5 minutes, so it won't record a stop light or gas station stop. I found Stride is far better for this. It is imperative that you document each ride for audit purposes. With Stride when you stop a ride in the Uber app you just go to the Stride app and stop, then start. 3 taps and you are covered, just a good habit to get into.

tohunt4me

I use Miles IQ for my sales job but it's tedious, it won't record each stop until you wait for like 5 minutes, so it won't record a stop light or gas station stop. I found Stride is far better for this. It is imperative that you document each ride for audit purposes. With Stride when you stop a ride in the Uber app you just go to the Stride app and stop, then start. 3 taps and you are covered, just a good habit to get into.
Apps have us doing more " Tapping & Pecking " than Chickens !

Attachments

george_lol

This is a great tip, thanks.
They send me a detail report every month of all the stops.
It's really the best program out there for what we do. I think it doesn't get promoted by The Rideshare Guy and others because they might not pay high enough referral fees if any. I also track my gas mileage with it by entering price/gallon, current mileage and gallons. It will keep photo copies of gas receipts in its cloud storage. At any time you can easily reclassify a trip from what you have chosen as a default. It also displays the value of your mileage deduction.
Also, your mileage can be more accurate if you choose to use an ODB-II bluetooth interface instead of GPS tracking.

FLKeys

You can only write off losses for 3 years in a Row !

Thus i deliver Pizza all year Last year only job.

Now i can return to Uber and Lose for 3 MORE YEARS !

When i had my own business
Changing title of co. D.B.A. slightly every 3 years did the trick.
So if you are operating under local business license you can continue to lose by changing name.
No entirely true. The IRS has guidelines for reporting losses and many companies do it for many years in a row. If the standards are met you are fine.

Darrell Green Fan

I've been using Stride and just getting in the habit of stopping and starting it with each drop, 2 taps and I know I'm in compliance. I was surprised to see that even with all the dead miles to and from home as I live in a rural area I'm still showing a slight profit, not sure how you guys living closer to town are able to find enough miles to bring the profits to $0.

FLKeys

I've been using Stride and just getting in the habit of stopping and starting it with each drop, 2 taps and I know I'm in compliance. I was surprised to see that even with all the dead miles to and from home as I live in a rural area I'm still showing a slight profit, not sure how you guys living closer to town are able to find enough miles to bring the profits to $0.
Depends on what the market rate is. In some markets it is so low that it would be impossible to show a profit. Also I'm sure many drivers lie about their mileage to make sure they don't show a profit.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Depends on what the market rate is. In some markets it is so low that it would be impossible to show a profit. Also I'm sure many drivers lie about their mileage to make sure they don't show a profit.
Orlando rates require either surges or approximately 88% paid miles to unpaid miles, as in for every 100 miles driven 88 (or so) need to be paid in order to turn a profit. It's about 30-40%.

FLKeys

Orlando rates require either surges or approximately 88% paid miles to unpaid miles, as in for every 100 miles driven 88 (or so) need to be paid in order to turn a profit. It's about 30-40%.
Is that realistically possible to have 88% paid miles? Seems like it would be pretty hard to do in any market.

vtcomics

Try app called Triplog - Car Mileage Counter & Gas Tracker. Automatically tracks all your mileage and provides reports, lets you reclassify segments from a default category, calculates gas mileage if you want to track that, maps all your drive, etc.
Android version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bizlog.triplog
Thanks to your post I've switched to Trip Log. Been using it for about a month now and it works well. Sometimes I forget to end trip/start new trip; took me awhile to figure out how to edit the app to include those missed stops/starts. No more spending hours on an Excel sheet! Just download everything from Trip Log! Thanks!!

tmpnick16

Unless you are driving black I don't know how anyone can have any taxable income on U/L. For simple math, you drive 125 miles in a day. You are the worlds best Uber driver and have a pax for 100 of those miles. You write off 125 x .545 per mile which translates to $68.13 in deductions. Let's say you earn $.65 per mile, (clt is $.607), you have income of $65, plus your hourly for those 100 miles. So before you receive your hourly, you are at a $3.13 LOSS. More common would be that a driver drives 200 miles ($109) deduction and income of $65 for 100 miles driven with passenger. Even when hourly is factored in, the driver will have no taxable income. For those of you that have Android, google keeps track of all your miles in the cloud. In the event of an audit, it would be very easy to print out with your mileage from purchase of car to audit date. The information is overwhelming and includes stops and duration of stops.
Last year- $13k on 16k miles. There's still taxable income.

george_lol

Thanks to your post I've switched to Trip Log. Been using it for about a month now and it works well.
YW. When I started out 2 years ago I tested about 8 different apps and found Triplog runs circles around all the others. There's one bug to watch out for and that is if your device crashes for whatever reason don't try to recover it on the fly while you're driving (while it's logging). Stop driving. Stop Triplog logging and go into the settings and turn off auto start, exit the app then restart your device and reset Triplog to auto start. I've never reported this to them. Also, if you travel as a passenger it's going to record that mileage also. You can either turn off auto start or reclassify those miles.