IRS mistakenly sent me $20,000

everythingsuber

Bank made a mistake with my account once but it was only 800 dollars so I gave them a call. There was a New Zealand couple that had 6 million put in their account by mistake and it took about a year to find them. 20k is not enough to have any real adventure with I'd just give the bank a call. Maybe a million or two you'd think twice.

SinTaxERROR

Just received my very last weekly unemployment benefit and upon checking, I see there is $20,000 deposited into my bank account from my state’s unemployment insurance.

I am freaking out as Iam writing this. Should I use the money or IRS will find out soon?
If you are not happy with an extra $20g, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands... :roflmao: :thumbup:

25rides7daysaweek

Just received my very last weekly unemployment benefit and upon checking, I see there is $20,000 deposited into my bank account from my state’s unemployment insurance.

I am freaking out as Iam writing this. Should I use the money or IRS will find out soon?
Go buy a new car as quickly as you can
When they come around asking about it tell em you thout it was a loan
When they say it wasnt tell em
finders keepers losers weepers
Let us know what happens !!!!

Oscar Levant

You need to return it. If you spend it, you could be charged with embezzlement, "IANAL" seek legal advice.

mbd

Do day trading and make 30% a day. Once you hit 1 million $, send the 20,000$ back... it will only take about 17 trading days . :thumbup:
Send back 21,000$.

Wildgoose

You can keep it for a while but EDD will be going to ask you back. It was their mistake but they will figure it out later time because all the money sent out to you are recorded along with your name and SSN. Don't use it and You have to keep it for a long time. If you couldn't be able to return the money, penalty and interest will be added on your account.

Wildgoose

What does the IRS have to do with your state unemployment insurance? Seems like the ones to worry about would be the people sending out those payments. :p
You are right on that. His problem would be in the middle of IRS and EDD next year. IRS will consider that money as his income and he needed to pay with higher income tax rate, Then EDD asked him the money back and he had to. Then, He will be doomed.