• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Irregularities with Eats dispatching

Nats121

Along with the bad pay and lack of tips, the fishy dispatching of Eats orders keeps me from doing Eats very often.

Among the fishy things that happen on a regular basis are...

Waiting close to a restaurant and being passed over by other drivers who come waltzing in and drive off with orders.

Frequently being sent on crappy deliveries to large housing developments in the middle of nowhere far away from any restaurants, especially during busy periods

Frequently being sent on deliveries to traffic clogged areas, especially during busy periods.

I suspect that not only do drivers have to contend with uber's devious dispatching schemes, we have to contend with cheating drivers who via software and/or hardware are using multiple accounts, GPS spoofing, hacked phones, and possibly smuggled hardware to not only get more orders but also the best available orders.

The later would explain why decent deliveries are so hard to come by during rush periods.

There's more than one thread on this forum about this, including a story about it in the London Telegraph newspaper.

dgates01

Along with the bad pay and lack of tips, the fishy dispatching of Eats orders keeps me from doing Eats very often.

Waiting close to a restaurant and being passed over by other drivers who come waltzing in and drive off with orders.

Frequently being sent on crappy deliveries to large housing developments in the middle of nowhere far away from any restaurants, especially during busy periods

Frequently being sent on deliveries to traffic clogged areas, especially during busy periods.

I suspect that not only do drivers have to contend with uber's devious dispatching schemes, we have to contend with cheating drivers who via software and/or hardware are using multiple accounts, GPS spoofing, hacked phones, and possibly smuggled hardware to not only get more orders but also the best available orders.

The later would explain why decent deliveries are so hard to come by during rush periods.

There's more than one thread on this forum about this, including a story about it in the London Telegraph newspaper.
I'm not sure it's as nefarious as you might think. We all get crap deliveries to places we'd prefer not to go. If only every delivery of mine was to a cleavage-bearing milf in a nice neighborhood 6 minutes away, I'd be happy. It just doesn't work that way. And there are multiple delivery apps going to the same restaurant. Seeing others come and go doesn't mean they're all UE.

Nats121

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure it's as nefarious as you might think. We all get crap deliveries to places we'd prefer not to go. If only every delivery of mine was to a cleavage-bearing milf in a nice neighborhood 6 minutes away, I'd be happy. It just doesn't work that way. And there are multiple delivery apps going to the same restaurant. Seeing others come and go doesn't mean they're all UE.
The FREQUENCY of the crappy deliveries is what makes me suspicious.

If things are on the up and up, there should be a mix of better and worse deliveries, but during prime time, the worse clearly out number the better.

I've been doing this long enough to be able to spot Eats as opposed to DD and the others by looking at their phones.

dgates01

The FREQUENCY of the crappy deliveries is what makes me suspicious.

If things are on the up and up, there should be a mix of better and worse deliveries, but during prime time, the worse clearly out number the better.

I've been doing this long enough to be able to spot Eats as opposed to DD and the others by looking at their phones.
Do you turn down a lot of pings? I think those that do alter the algorithm to where they're not the first person to get the nearby pick-up offer, even if they're the closest.

Nats121

Do you turn down a lot of pings? I think those that do alter the algorithm to where they're not the first person to get the nearby pick-up offer, even if they're the closest.
I turn down plenty.

If you watch uber's old training videos, they state that the closest driver gets the pings. If they changed that policy, they should have had the decency to tell the drivers, especially when drivers are waiting at restaurants and being passed over.

Of course uber has no decency, so unethical behavior by them is expected.

Drivers are nothing more than disposable trash to them, so they have no problem with making drivers wait at restaurants for nothing.

UberSnoober

Speaking of weird pings I've been getting a few lately that says pick up is a minute or two away and when I accept the distance is several miles away instead.
Has that happened to any of you?

uberboy1212

Pretty sure the main factor in deciding which driver gets an order would be promotions. Uber wants to pay out a little as possible on every order so they probably give it to the driver with the lowest/no promotions. Distance is probably the 2nd deciding factor. Yesterday I was chasing a quest and got 14/15 orders. Didnt get a single order for the next 2 hours so I just gave up. Been doing this long enough to know that there was no way Uber was going to let me hit that quest.

Rickos69

Two days ago, I was sitting in the Sonic parking lot because it has some tree shade. I got a ping for Panda Express which was the next restaurant over. I could have walked over.
The ping had a guarantee of $5, and I can't figure out why. I would have gone even without the guarantee, which wasn't like a million dollars anyway, but just saying.

Doowop

Speaking of weird pings I've been getting a few lately that says pick up is a minute or two away and when I accept the distance is several miles away instead.
That is precisely why uber reveals you the distance only in minutes rather than Miles. Now you're unaware of what you're up against when you select the job. It's deception. Do you think for one second Uber does Not know the exact mileage from you to the restaurant? Think about why they don't share that information.

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

Ah yes the "conspiracy" is strong with this one.

Sitting right inside the restaurant you are going to get that ping IF and only if you are the only driver currently available. Another driver who just left with food and would be able to get back just in time for the next order to be ready or almost ready will get that ping.
Not a bad way to run it, actually the best way.

There is no "hack" they just have figured out what you don't get.
It works just like how you can have a passenger in your car and the ping goes to a different driver because of complex information your not capable of imagining that is neither nefarious nor bad programming/business practices.

Rickos69

Sitting right inside the restaurant you are going to get that ping IF and only if you are the only driver currently available. Another driver who just left with food and would be able to get back just in time for the next order to be ready or almost ready will get that ping.

It works just like how you can have a passenger in your car and the ping goes to a different driver because of complex information your not capable of imagining that is neither nefarious nor bad programming/business practices.
So how does the "system" manage to get you to the restaurant and you have to wait 10-15 minutes, if its so knowledgeable?

So how does the "system" manage to get you to the restaurant and you have to wait 10-15 minutes, if its so knowledgeable?
Noone else in the area further from restaurant willing to accept the long distance request.
Restaurant "ready by" time given to uber is grossly under estimated.
Seriously you couldn't come up with that?

I could have, but I question it.
Too many times to be an exception this theory has failed.
Are you serious? Something is so logical and happens often because it's logical therefore invalidates the theory that is logical.
This is not how that works.

Look Uber is certainly incompetent.
They have often done what they can to screwdrivers out of getting paid.
But they aren't competent enough to somehow intentionally make it so that drivers show up early. It makes far more sense that they don't know how to keep you from showing up early because they're stupid rather than think they are doing it for nefarious reasons.

Rickos69

Are you serious? Something is so logical and happens often because it's logical therefore invalidates the theory that is logical.
This is not how that works.

Look Uber is certainly incompetent.
They have often done what they can to screwdrivers out of getting paid.
But they aren't competent enough to somehow intentionally make it so that drivers show up early. It makes far more sense that they don't know how to keep you from showing up early because they're stupid rather than think they are doing it for nefarious reasons.
On your point that they have you show up early due to incompetence as opposed to evil intentions, we are in agreement.

Nats121

Every rotten thing uber does to the drivers is the result of a "conspiracy" at uber HQ.

Uber's own training videos used to state that the closet driver gets the pings. That was part of Travis' sales pitch to lure taxi drivers over to uber in the early days. Uber made a big deal out of their claims that they were going to "free" taxi drivers from all of the various shackles that were imposed on them by the taxi industry. Dispatch bullshit has always been a major source of complaints from taxi drivers.

If they decided to change the "closest driver" policy, basic decency dictated that they should have told the drivers about the change and at least given the drivers some idea of what their criteria was for dispatching trips in order to avoid wasting the driver's time and money.

Of course unethical uber has no decency.

Whether or not uber's system is the "best way" is debatable, but it's a "bad" way to run it when drivers aren't told about it.
Post automatically merged:

Two days ago, I was sitting in the Sonic parking lot because it has some tree shade. I got a ping for Panda Express which was the next restaurant over. I could have walked over.
The ping had a guarantee of $5, and I can't figure out why. I would have gone even without the guarantee, which wasn't like a million dollars anyway, but just saying.
It had a guarantee because the order was running late. Another driver who was probably further away cancelled.

Pretty sure the main factor in deciding which driver gets an order would be promotions. Uber wants to pay out a little as possible on every order so they probably give it to the driver with the lowest/no promotions. Distance is probably the 2nd deciding factor. Yesterday I was chasing a quest and got 14/15 orders. Didnt get a single order for the next 2 hours so I just gave up. Been doing this long enough to know that there was no way Uber was going to let me hit that quest.
Uber's a scummy company, period

We need AB5 in California.

You don't know if there's hacking going on or not.

I think there is.

Yes, many times.

Uber's so desperate to get a driver to accept that they resort to lying about the ETA to the restaurant.

I've been getting a ton of 15 mins $6.00/7.00. I feel like if I cancel one, I'm punished for the rest of the night lol. I'd have to agree that we're all getting shitty orders.
Not "all" the drivers are getting shitty orders.

I think there's a real possibility that a group of cheating drivers are siphoning the better orders.

Last edited: