Involved in a hit and run not at fault accident with no ride share insurance..help!

DontGoToPaterson

last night was side swiped by a driver as I was dropping off a passenger. 100% not at fault. after pulling over...the other driver blamed me then she drove off without the police coming. I got her license plate.

I live in NJ and have liberty mutual and am not covered by rideshare.

I filed a claim with my insurance provider but I'm now in a predicament with UBER

they took me offline and now want documentation of everything. i guess the passenger reported it? I don't know how they knew right way.

either way what do I do with uber? if i report it with them, do they go to my insurance company and they drop me and won't cover me?

BTW, the car is fine except the rear passenger door is scraped and my rim is scraped as well.

also, since I won't be able to drive for a while, would I be able to sue this driver for lost wages assuming they catch them (and i don't have rideshare insurance)?

islanddriver

Did you report the hit and run to police. If so she her if not you will get nothing from right you insurance or uber

25rides7daysaweek

You'll need to get a police report and then goto a greenlight hub. They will have you take pics of the car to show it's not too messed up to drive it. If you choose to repair the car you may need to pay the deductable. Hopefully the hit and run driver will be found at fault and you can pocket the money from the repairs for tires brakes and or other mechanical repairs. Good luck!

DontGoToPaterson

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course I called the police. I have a police report and everything. My question is what do I do with uber. Will they tell my insurance company etc....

Uber Arnie

Of course I called the police. I have a police report and everything. My question is what do I do with uber. Will they tell my insurance company etc....
Just keep letting them know you need to get back online immediately so you can service poo rides. They'll be happy and get you back online.

Wildgoose

As long as you didn't slide Drop Off customers tap, Uber insurance should come in play ($1000 deductible though). You should report to Uber and they are going to work with your insurance company Only if you have full coverage insurance. If you have no fully coverage, It would be on you alone.

BigBadJohn

Run home and lock the door! Whatever you do, DON'T call your insurance company or the Police! After a few days slowly exit your home and nonchalantly waltz over to Walmart and buy a can of spray paint that somewhat matches your car color. Exact paint match isn't necessary since you are using the car to Uber. Then, you're good to go!

Wildgoose

Uber Provides (Some) Auto Insurance Coverage… When The App Is On

Uber requires all of their drivers to have car insurance, and provides supplemental insurance coverage, but only while the app is on. Here’s how it works: When the Uber app is off, a driver is covered by their own personal car insurance. When the Uber app is turned on, a low level of liability insurance becomes active. When a trip is accepted, a higher level of coverage kicks in and remains active until the passenger exits the vehicle. Previously Uber had only offered coverage when a passenger was in the car, but the company updated their policy after a series of accidents which resulted in various lawsuits.

Lyft and some of the other ride-sharing services point to the $1 million per incident excess liability coverage that certain states require them to carry. The policies are designed to deal with liability claims, which a driver’s insurance doesn’t cover. But these policies won’t cover a driver’s car – you must rely on your own personal auto insurance policy.

UberX Drivers May Also Need A Commercial Driver’s License ( Some states )

If you drive for UberX or a similar service, whenever you pick up a passenger you are driving professionally. Even though you are an independent contractor, some states will consider you to be a commercial driver. While each state’s laws are different, UberX and Lyft drivers should be aware that your state may require you to have a commercial driver’s license. (Note: Some states only require drivers to have a commercial license if they drive as a full-time occupation.) Check with your state’s DMV for their requirements.

If your state requires you to have a commercial driver’s license when driving for Uber, you could be subject to prosecution if you get into an accident and don’t have a commercial license, even if you have a commercial auto insurance policy. Things may soon get less complicated though. Several insurance companies have recently created unique auto policies that are tailored specifically to drivers of Uber, Lyft, etc. These insurance plans are currently only available in select states, but provide an alternative to a traditional commercial auto insurance policy.
Post automatically merged:

This is from Uber website..

Ride request accepted and on trip
On your way to pick up a rider and during a trip
While you drive to pick up a rider after accepting a request and during an Uber trip, you are insured for three things in case of a covered accident:
1. Third party liability coverage
Insures bodily injuries or damages you’ve caused to your riders, people in other vehicles, pedestrians, or property. Coverage limits vary by state but are at least $1,000,000.
2. Uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage
This insurance covers you and anyone else in your vehicle in case of an accident where another driver is at fault, but does not have sufficient insurance. This also covers hit and run accidents where the at-fault driver cannot be identified. Coverage limits vary by state, but are at least $250,000 per accident.
3. Contingent collision and comprehensive coverage
As long as you maintain comprehensive and collision coverage on your personal auto insurance, Uber’s insurance will kick in and provide physical damage coverage for your car up to its actual cash value, regardless of who is at fault.
There is a $1,000 deductible that you must pay first before this coverage applies.

Wildgoose

Yes but I filed with my insurance and I didn't tell them about uber.

Here's the dmg, very minor
Damage was at passenger's side. Unless it were one way street and you were parking at left curb, it would be you at fault. Door might cost around $900 if it was too bad. Deductible is higher than repair cost. Why you want to claim insurance?
You don't even know who the hit and run driver was unless you figure out owner address yourself by helping of police, running the license plate number. Knock on the door and explain the house owner, here I am whose car got hit and run be your car last night, let's share insurance information. So I could contact to your insurance company.
Do you think you could do that? I know I wouldn't. Unforeseen outcome could come.

Just save your time on talking to insurance company, and you should try to fix yourself as shown in video.

Last edited:

2Cents

Your insurance company is allowed to request information from ride share companies in most states. Just hope that your insurance doesn’t get info and drops you because of it.

The Texan

WHY, are the second paragraph above, and then in #3, are Totally contradicting each other.

Second paragraph- 'will not cover drivers car'
#3, Uber will pay after $1000 deductible?

Which is it??????????????

BigJohn

WHY, are the second paragraph above, and then in #3, are Totally contradicting each other.

Second paragraph- 'will not cover drivers car'
#3, Uber will pay after $1000 deductible?

Which is it??????????????
Because member Wildgoose is either dumb in the way he made his post or playing a game.

If you go back to read his post, everything ABOVE "This is from Uber website.." is from an entirely different website trying to explain in plain English to a certain extant about insurance and rideshare companies.

What that paragraph is talking about is LIABILITY insurance which is different than comp/collision insurance. LIABILITY insurance coverage is exactly what it seems, covering LIABILITY for actions the at fault party caused to others. LIABILITY insurance NEVER covers damages to the AT FAULT party whether physical damages to a vehicle or medical damages to the person. Damages to the at fault party's vehicle would only be covered under comp/collision coverage.

https://www.answerfinancial.com/insurance-center/how-does-car-insurance-work-for-uber-drivers

BigJohn

I'm just going to go to the hub tomorrow and get it sorted out.
Well, since you already filed a claim with your own insurance provider, if you do file with Uber and Uber's provided insurance, you will be technically committing insurance fraud. But aside from that, what are you going to tell your insurance provider if you want to stop that claim? Problem is even if you stop it, the accident is now a part of your record and WHEN (not if) they find out you were doing rideshare at the time...

PEOPLE PLEASE do your research and ask questions BEFORE a problem occurs or before you act after a problem has occurred.

DontGoToPaterson

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, since you already filed a claim with your own insurance provider, if you do file with Uber and Uber's provided insurance, you will be technically committing insurance fraud. But aside from that, what are you going to tell your insurance provider if you want to stop that claim? Problem is even if you stop it, the accident is now a part of your record and WHEN (not if) they find out you were doing rideshare at the time...

PEOPLE PLEASE do your research and ask questions BEFORE a problem occurs or before you act after a problem has occurred.
so w hat do you recommend? don't go to uber until I gt the claim and fix the car THEN go to UBER when everything is done?

can't I Just go to UBER and tell them my insurance is handling it I don't need your insurance? why would they want to go through insurance?