• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Invasion of the electric scooter: can our cities cope?

Karl Marx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because @ANT 7 was doing his usual anti-Liberal trolling.

There is a big difference. Take policy regarding global warming for example. One is real and the other is fake.
You're correct except the Tories for the most part deny climate change whereas you have the Liberals who agree that man made climate change is a problem and than they go and approve a new oil pipeline to the west coast. It is indeed nonsensical but there you have it. Not sure which party is worse. I still can't get out of my mind that Trudeau had to fire his campaign manager in the last election because it was discovered he was a oil consultant. Capitalism always makes strange bed fellows.

Athos

You're correct except the Tories for the most part deny climate change whereas you have the Liberals who agree that man made climate change is a problem and than they go and approve a new oil pipeline to the west coast. It is indeed nonsensical but there you have it. Not sure which party is worse. I still can't get out of my mind that Trudeau had to fire his campaign manager in the last election because it was discovered he was a oil consultant. Capitalism always makes strange bed fellows.
I agree with you. The oil, and especially the coal, should be left in the ground. But it's not politically doable right now. The Liberal compromize is to invest oil profits into green technologies. It's not perfect but it's not, as you say, "nonsensical".

Karl Marx

I agree with you. The oil, and especially the coal, should be left in the ground. But it's not politically doable right now. The Liberal compromize is to invest oil profits into green technologies. It's not perfect but it's not, as you say, "nonsensical".
If we have some ecological collapses going into the federal election and people become truly frightened at the possible or imminent collapse of their communities and a bold NDP leader says, f_ck it and kills the Tar Sands that could be a game changer not just in Canada but around the world. Fossil fuels are making the planet uninhabitable. You know, I know it and many intelligent people know it, the oil capitalists are and will be in denial right up until the end of all of us.

Athos

If we have some ecological collapses going into the federal election and people become truly frightened at the possible or imminent collapse of their communities and a bold NDP leader says, f_ck it and kills the Tar Sands that could be a game changer not just in Canada but around the world. Fossil fuels are making the planet uninhabitable. You know, I know it and many intelligent people know it, the oil capitalists are and will be in denial right up until the end of all of us.
We can't count on a catastrophe to change peoples' priorities. We have to do what we can. Right now the best thing to do is to work to keep Scheer and his wealthy oil backers from slowing our migration away from fossil fuels. The Conservatives would set us back five years. Do you want to close your eyes and vote for a candidate that makes you feel good but has no chance? We have to vote strategically.

Progressives are the majority in Canada and the Conservative's only hope is that we split out votes wastefully. In my longtime Conservative riding there is a chance of a Liberal win. It was very close last time. The NDP and Green candidates were know-nothing, new-age dipsticks. The Green lady would have been right at home in a séance! They were an embarassment in the local debate. Why would I vote for incompetence?

I will vote Liberal. I won't waste my vote. The Ecology is too important to allow my pride to rule me. I will not be ruled by ideology. I hope you feel the same.

Last edited:

Karl Marx

We can't count on a catastrophe to change peoples' priorities. We have to do what we can. Right now the best thing to do is to work to keep Scheer and his wealthy oil backers from slowing our migration away from fossil fuels. The Conservatives would set us back five years. Do you want to close your eyes and vote for a candidate that makes you feel good but has no chance? We have to vote strategically.

Progressives are the majority in Canada and the Conservative's only hope is that we split out votes wastefully. In my longtime Conservative riding there is a chance of a Liberal win. It was very close last time. The NDP and Green candidates were know-nothing, new-age dipsticks. The Green lady would have been right at home in a séance! They were an embarassment in the local debate. Why would I vote for incompetence?

I will vote Liberal. I won't waste my vote. The Ecology is too important to allow my pride to rule me. I will not be ruled by ideology. I hope you feel the same.
I went to to school with these blue blooded Tories and I can say with some expertise that many of these dye in the wool Tories never say die. Its' simply not in their DNA. The entire society we live in is based on rational thought or in the case of these Tories irrational thought. Listening to the talk shows in Britain, it is getting as bad or worse than American right wing nutter radio. I see little hope for the planet going forward and have decided to just chuck it up for the most part. Trumpian politics is not going away any time soon and populism is now quickly combining with fascist power politics. Neoliberalism is morphing into this more authoritarian white nationalism, not just in the U.S. but in and around western and eastern Europe. The evil we thought we extinguished with the end of Hitler and the Nazis has returned with a vengeance and this time it is force from within. Capitalism has created the conditions of enormous in equality that has fed this new economy that is being totally exploitive beyond even a Feudal Lord's wildest imagination.

Athos

I see little hope for the planet going forward and have decided to just chuck it up for the most part.
Well don't chuck it until after the election.

Are you a gradualist @Karl Marx or a revolutionary? Lenin and the Bolsheviks were revolutionaries. They wanted things to get worse in order to trigger a populist reaction against the Czar. They were an evil, crazy, murderous lot. Singleminded and totalitarian they truly believed that history was a science. The result was murder on an unequalled scale.

Putting aside all the human tragedy that global warming will trigger, look at the plight of the animals of the world. They don't care about all of this politiking. Species extinction is happening at a rapid pace. We have to do what we can now. We can't be Quixotic. We have no time for that luxury.

Karl Marx

Well don't chuck it until after the election.

Are you a gradualist @Karl Marx or a revolutionary? Lenin and the Bolsheviks were revolutionaries. They wanted things to get worse in order to trigger a populist reaction against the Czar. They were an evil, crazy, murderous lot. Singleminded and totalitarian they truly believed that history was a science. The result was murder on an unequalled scale.

Putting aside all the human tragedy that global warming will trigger, look at the plight of the animals of the world. They don't care about all of this politiking. Species extinction is happening at a rapid pace. We have to do what we can now. We can't be Quixotic. We have no time for that luxury.
Depressing.

Bearhunter

Athos and Karl
you two are so wrong it is painful. It is however a free country and you are welcome to your opinion.
Well.
I will not even attempt to counter your views as it is futile

Last edited by a moderator:

Athos

Henry Giroux is an amazing intellectual. I have a book of essays by him. Very powerful writing but very dense. It's pretty much imposible for the average reader to follow him as he dances.

I liked that he emphasized the corrupton of discourse, the deliberate campaigns of misinformation, the lying and the manufacturing of ignorance. History and the humanities have been gutted and this has left us open to these Fascist manipulators.

I, too, think the corruption of discourse is behind so much of the decay of democracy. That, I think, is where we should be attacking these Fascists. We have to take back the narrative.

He concludes with a revolutionary solution and I part with him there. He advocates a General Strike but, frankly, that will not happen in this fractured, atomized society. It's just a pipe dream. We first have to take back the narrative. That means, among other things, increasing our support for the study of History and the humanities. We have to stop the Doug Ford, Betsy DeVos types. That means we first have to take control of the government. We can do that through the ballot box. That is not a pipe dream.

In Canada progressives have to vote strategically. We have to get out the young people. We are drivers. We meet a lot of young people. We can encourage them to vote. We can tell them the future is theirs if they want it. We can excite and motivate them. Really, as drivers, we can punch above our weight.

So let's do it! As old Karl Marx said: "Philosophers have only interpreted the world. The point is to change it."
Post automatically merged:

Athos and Karl
you two are so wrong it is painful. It is however a free country and you are welcome to your opinion.
Well. some are welcome to their opinions, I will no doubt be banned again for being so presumptuous as to dare and voice disagreement.
I will not even attempt to counter your views as it is futile and i don't like drinking Kool Aid anyway.
Why would you be banned? You haven't said anything.

Karl Marx

Henry Giroux is an amazing intellectual. I have a book of essays by him. Very powerful writing but very dense. It's pretty much imposible for the average reader to follow him as he dances.

I liked that he emphasized the corrupton of discourse, the deliberate campaigns of misinformation, the lying and the manufacturing of ignorance. History and the humanities have been gutted and this has left us open to these Fascist manipulators.

I, too, think the corruption of discourse is behind so much of the decay of democracy. That, I think, is where we should be attacking these Fascists. We have to take back the narrative.

He concludes with a revolutionary solution and I part with him there. He advocates a General Strike but, frankly, that will not happen in this fractured, atomized society. It's just a pipe dream. We first have to take back the narrative. That means, among other things, increasing our support for the study of History and the humanities. We have to stop the Doug Ford, Betsy DeVos types. That means we first have to take control of the government. We can do that through the ballot box. That is not a pipe dream.

In Canada progressives have to vote strategically. We have to get out the young people. We are drivers. We meet a lot of young people. We can encourage them to vote. We can tell them the future is theirs if they want it. We can excite and motivate them. Really, as drivers, we can punch above our weight.

So let's do it! As old Karl Marx said: "Philosophers have only interpreted the world. The point is to change it."
Post automatically merged:

Why would you be banned? You haven't said anything.
Henry is / has been a beacon to many on the left, he describes the plight and decay of a now failed democracy. My fear is the collapse of civil society is well underway. The backlash is a fight or flight response we are now witnessing. The massive movement in out migration from Africa, Asia and Central America is just at the very beginnings. Trumps immigration tactics at the border is an opportunity to exploit this climate refugee influx as away to further his white nationalist policies. You simply can't ignore the endemic hate that courses through the American psyche. The civil war never ended and that combined with the climate wars has created a new toxin that has affected and polarized American society.

We are on the verge of a new social backlash that will inevitably bring violence onto American streets. Charlotte Virginia is a case in point. That was really the beginning and now with Trumps incendiary tweets we can now mark this past week as the beginning of this new war on people of colour and people and politicians of leftist convictions. Canada now faces many of the same hate problems confronting Americans and we are not immune from the horrid bile this occupant of the White House has spewing out the past several days.

Yes a general strike would be a way to engage this new hate but in the media saturation this president has realized a power that Hitler never had in the forum of social media. I think he is deliberately creating a social climate where people will use the slightest excuse to use violence at the slightest opportunity. These four Congress Woman are essentially sitting duck targets as well as ordinary people going through their normal day. The violence that is about to be unleashed will shock the world but not the American public. Canadians are about to be a witness to Part II of the American Civil War.

Last edited:

Athos

I'm not as apocalyptic as you @Karl Marx . I think you underestimate the ability of modern state power to contain riots. Even the troubles of 1968 could not happen again. But more importantly you overestimate the will and solidarity of the public. Under extreme stress, what is more likely is a societal retreat into drugs and amusements. We are already seeing a decline in that most important index, the US lifespan. This happened in Russia in the dark years after the fall of the Berlin Wall when men took to vodka.

Furthermore the US public does not have a goal. The propagandists have disrupted anything that could become a common social value. As Giroux points out in the essay you posted above, the education system has been sabotaged and people can't see their true position or compare things with the past. Society has been blinded.

I would like to respond to your Hitler comment. In the 1920's radio was new and had an unusual power. We don't see that power today but the novelty and the media monopoly multiplied radio's ability to influence. Hitler could talk his way right into people's heads. His thoughts became their thoughts. If you want a Canadian example of this radio impact look to Bible Bill Aberhart of Alberta. He founded the Social Credit Party in Alberta. It was a powerful movement that lasted into the long-running Conservative governments. Both Hitler and Aberhart were charismatic and used radio effectively. They also had much less differentiated societies, impoverished by the hyperinflation of 1923 in Germany's case and the depression in Alberta's case.

The common element shared by radio of the '20's and '30's and Internet Social Media today is the novelty and the lack of immunity. Both medias became powerful, in part, because there were not any critical tools to understand them. Though well understood now, talk radio still has persuasive power with uninformed listeners, people who look to others to create their opinions and voice their resentments, Social Media is now going through an awakening of its dark side.

I think legislation and media awareness will eventually be able to curb, though not eliminate, the ability of Social Media to distort the truth. We may be at the peak of the problem now. I say that because I use as a barometer the prevalence of conspiracy theories and the spread of misinformation. It's really bad now.

last-list-of-terms-4-638.jpg

donny donowitz

I'm not going to be as wordy as you two fellas but I see things a lot differently...
With regards to race and so called white nationalism, it's only the alt right nutjobs that lust for that.
Slavery was going on in Africa by other Africans centuries before Columbus discovered north America. It was going on in many other parts of the world as well.
If anything, it was the US that can be thanked for abolishing slavery, and the rest of the civilized world followed. I say civilized because there are still a few 3rd world cultures still doing it.
The civil war was over slavery with the Democrats fighting to keep it. Fortunately the Republicans won the war, and slavery was no more. Then the Democrats created the Jim Crow era, which they fought hard to keep as well.
This ended when the civil rights act was passed in the 60s. With blacks being able to vote now, the Democrats had to reinvent themselves, otherwise they would never get elected again. They needed the black vote. So, along came the welfare state. Large government housing projects were built, and they were filling them with blacks. To keep blacks dependent on the government, the government incentivized the breakdown of the family unit, encouraging single motherhood and fatherless homes. That ensured an endless cycle of poverty, and voting base for Democrats. We have been in this era ever since.
Today, racism has become an industry. Aside from the very little that still exists, most racism is manufactured. The political left depend on this industry. They claim to be the ones wanting to eradicate it, yet they are the purveyors of it. If MLK was alive today, he would denounce the tactics of those 4 female radical leftist DNC members, as they represent the polar opposite of what he stood for.
Identity politics is sinister and divisive, and that's why we are divided more than ever.

Karl Marx

I'm not as apocalyptic as you @Karl Marx . I think you underestimate the ability of modern state power to contain riots. Even the troubles of 1968 could not happen again. But more importantly you overestimate the will and solidarity of the public. Under extreme stress, what is more likely is a societal retreat into drugs and amusements. We are already seeing a decline in that most important index, the US lifespan. This happened in Russia in the dark years after the fall of the Berlin Wall when men took to vodka.

Furthermore the US public does not have a goal. The propagandists have disrupted anything that could become a common social value. As Giroux points out in the essay you posted above, the education system has been sabotaged and people can't see their true position or compare things with the past. Society has been blinded.

I would like to respond to your Hitler comment. In the 1920's radio was new and had an unusual power. We don't see that power today but the novelty and the media monopoly multiplied radio's ability to influence. Hitler could talk his way right into people's heads. His thoughts became their thoughts. If you want a Canadian example of this radio impact look to Bible Bill Aberhart of Alberta. He founded the Social Credit Party in Alberta. It was a powerful movement that lasted into the long-running Conservative governments. Both Hitler and Aberhart were charismatic and used radio effectively. They also had much less differentiated societies, impoverished by the hyperinflation of 1923 in Germany's case and the depression in Alberta's case.

The common element shared by radio of the '20's and '30's and Internet Social Media today is the novelty and the lack of immunity. Both medias became powerful, in part, because there were not any critical tools to understand them. Though well understood now, talk radio still has persuasive power with uninformed listeners, people who look to others to create their opinions and voice their resentments, Social Media is now going through an awakening of its dark side.

I think legislation and media awareness will eventually be able to curb, though not eliminate, the ability of Social Media to distort the truth. We may be at the peak of the problem now. I say that because I use as a barometer the prevalence of conspiracy theories and the spread of misinformation. It's really bad now.

View attachment 336517
The education system as Giroux points out is in a serious decline and has been for several decades. In the last 10 years with the imposition of Charters schools into the public domain the curricula has been seriously watered down and teachers unions have been dismantled in this transformation. This is all part of the neoliberal Christian right agenda. Not only that but charter schools also have the whiteness factor back in vogue.

The medium of radio is and was definitely a hot medium back in the 30's and 40's and no doubt it played a substantial role in populist politics and the rise of the Nazi Party. I would equate the new radio medium of that time to today's social media effects and affects. The disinformation that runs endlessly throughout the social discourse I would contend is even more pronounced and dangerous than radio ever was. Right wing hate radio just further reinforces what people see on their screens. Much of social media is hidden from public view, ie.) ICE agents having their own secret social media platforms. Social media is a cool medium and one less inclined to be controlled although AI could perhaps do some of the heavy lifting.

As to your point about serious social media governance and legislative bills to curb hate and disinformation I think this is highly improbable. The political climate right now is so divisive it seems highly unlikely we'll be seeing this new world media ecology in the near future. Media literacy was an important part of Marshall and Eric McLuhan's research in identifying the importance of teaching media literacy in the classroom. This was a serious discussion in academic circles throughout the 80 and 90's but has fallen by the wayside. BTW there is a wealth of material that was created by Eric McLuhan.

I do not enjoy being the bearer of apocalyptic outcomes but as someone who has been the victim of hate and discrimination my perspective might come as a shock to our reading audience. I have been for most of my life considered to " look Jewish" although I am English Protestant/ Catholic from Dorset England. It just so happens I did spend a lot of my career in New York City and may have inadvertently picked up many of the mannerisms of a New Yorker. This mistake in identity has given me an unusual and grim perspective of American culture. America hasn't lost its' way but rather never had it to begin with. Having survived being in the middle of a burning and very violent Summer Detroit Race Riots of 1967, I experienced the hate and the violence I know American culture has created and tried to placate. The times we our in now are uglier than just the black white divide. We stand at the precipice of an even more violent America than we have ever known.

Last edited:

Athos

Thanks for that post, @Karl Marx .

I dug out my copy of Giroux' Zombie Politics and Culture in the Age of Casino Capitalism. In one of the essays he talks about the Powell Memo of 1971. That may have been the start of the big money flowing into right wing think tanks. Here is the memo:

Grioux' book is a tour de force. If you can find a copy you might want to check out the essay: Zombie Politics and the Challenge of Right-Wing Teaching Machines, though all of the essays are good.

For anyone reading here there is an excellent history book that covers James Buchanan. He was the one who laid out the agenda of the Right-Wing think tanks. It is Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America by Nancy MacLean.

If we are going to avoid social amnesia and politically influenced interpretations of history I think we have to directly attack the control points. I think the worst thing that has happened to the US is the success of the Citizens United ruling. That opened the doors to huge corporate donations to political causes. It handed control of the agenda to the wealthy. They have hired psychologists to plant their propaganda deeply into the minds of uncritical low-information voters. It's a violation of those people but these propagandists don't care.

Other control points can be addressed with legislation. One thing working against these right-wing propagandists is that they are in a constant uphill trudge against the weight of truth. Legislative tweaks can therefore have a leveraged value. Controlling Facebook, Twitter and Youtube might have large effects, tightening donation rules might similarly give smaller donors a truer balance and making think tanks and astroturf groups more visible would help too. Dark money has to be purged from the system.

One last thing. I would like to see it made law that authors divulge their funding. We are swamped with right-wing books that never should have seen the light of day.

Bearhunter

It has been proven time and time again, that whilst capitalism may not be perfect it is by far the best and most equitable system. It is only when the parasites out number the providers that the wheels come off and trouble starts. Give a man a fish feed him once teach him to fish, feed him for ever.
As Liza Minnelli once sang " money makes the world go round"
Legislation is the cancer of progress and stifles the economy to the determent of all.
I have lived in communal situation for a couple of years and I am here to tell you that your fanciful dreams are just that.
Liberal and democrats rise to the surface in an affluent society that was built by conservatives, they then gain power, run it into the ground until the conservatives rise again and restore prosperity. Rinse and repeat.

Karl Marx

Thanks for that post, @Karl Marx .

I dug out my copy of Giroux' Zombie Politics and Culture in the Age of Casino Capitalism. In one of the essays he talks about the Powell Memo of 1971. That may have been the start of the big money flowing into right wing think tanks. Here is the memo:

Grioux' book is a tour de force. If you can find a copy you might want to check out the essay: Zombie Politics and the Challenge of Right-Wing Teaching Machines, though all of the essays are good.

For anyone reading here there is an excellent history book that covers James Buchanan. He was the one who laid out the agenda of the Right-Wing think tanks. It is Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America by Nancy MacLean.

If we are going to avoid social amnesia and politically influenced interpretations of history I think we have to directly attack the control points. I think the worst thing that has happened to the US is the success of the Citizens United ruling. That opened the doors to huge corporate donations to political causes. It handed control of the agenda to the wealthy. They have hired psychologists to plant their propaganda deeply into the minds of uncritical low-information voters. It's a violation of those people but these propagandists don't care.

Other control points can be addressed with legislation. One thing working against these right-wing propagandists is that they are in a constant uphill trudge against the weight of truth. Legislative tweaks can therefore have a leveraged value. Controlling Facebook, Twitter and Youtube might have large effects, tightening donation rules might similarly give smaller donors a truer balance and making think tanks and astroturf groups more visible would help too. Dark money has to be purged from the system.

One last thing. I would like to see it made law that authors divulge their funding. We are swamped with right-wing books that never should have seen the light of day.
Damn it, you are thought provoking. James Buchanan was the right wing brain. I remember when he ran for the Republican nomination. He broke open the republican party to where it is today, I remember watching him as a regular on The McLaughlin Group. Looking back on all this is surreal and now in retrospect it makes this even more horrible. This Orwellian nightmare hasn't just started now, its' been going on for the last several decades. The democrats are just as complicit. Dark money and the corporate agenda are firmly fixed into the digital ecology and I believe it may be too late. Being that I was in publishing I can attest to the strong ties between the republican and right wing political establishment. " Waiting in the West Wing " stories are legendary and Wolfe is but one testament to the incompetence and stupidity of the current WH occupant.

I vividly remember the Supply Side Economics ( David Stockman ) and ( Lucas ) Rational Expectation, just unbelievable nonsense. All this passed off as serious economics. The misnomer of " Free " Trade. How did this all transform itself into all this drivel? How did it get passed onto millions of students, through their textbooks. I was there at the beginnings of free trade and globalized markets, rational expectations, the Chicago school, fresh water and salt water economic departments. The academic corruption was awful to watch and I was just as complicit in not challenging it. I thought maybe I didn't understand it, I didn't understand it because it was complete rubbish. I hate kicking myself. The most important thing we do as human beings is make things and ask questions. The entire system was fraudulent and capitalism has been in crisis since Thatcher destroyed the coal miners. Neoliberalism is crashing faster than I ever thought possible. The last kick at the cat was Teresa May and she couldn't pull the wool over even to her own party. My horrible nightmare last night was a Brexit crash out of the EU and Deutsche Bank implosion. The European banking system and American financial instability could provide the next crisis that will be unmanageable in stopping the contagion to the fiat system.

Last edited:

Bearhunter

i was in college in England at the time dear'ol Maggie took out the thugs of the coal miners unions. It was exciting times to see civility return and mob rule suppressed. We had black outs, brown outs and some inconvenience but when all was said and done, majority ruled, unions like the tyrants of the coal miners were history. They dealt a death knell unto themselves by their unrestrained greed.
Reagan showed a few guys in literal towers, flight control workers that they were not as powerful as they thought they were, bye bye.
Then cars workers amongst others , thought that they could continuously keep making demands until the jobs left. They now have a %100 of nothing and of course it is everybody else's fault.
Uber drivers think they should and even deserve a union. What, you were forced into this ? to paraphrase Trump "if you don't like it, leave"
You want something WORK, you want more WORK HARDER

Judgeetox

Damn it, you are thought provoking. James Buchanan was the right wing brain. I remember when he ran for the Republican nomination. He broke open the republican party to where it is today, I remember watching him as a regular on The McLaughlin Group. Looking back on all this is surreal and now in retrospect it makes this even more horrible. This Orwellian nightmare hasn't just started now, its' been going on for the last several decades. The democrats are just as complicit. Dark money and the corporate agenda are firmly fixed into the digital ecology and I believe it may be too late. Being that I was in publishing I can attest to the strong ties between the republican and right wing political establishment. " Waiting in the West Wing " stories are legendary and Wolfe is but one testament to the incompetence and stupidity of the current WH occupant.

I vividly remember the Supply Side Economics ( David Stockman ) and ( Lucas ) Rational Expectation, just unbelievable nonsense. All this passed off as serious economics. The misnomer of " Free " Trade. How did this all transform itself into all this drivel? How did it get passed onto millions of students, through their textbooks. I was there at the beginnings of free trade and globalized markets, rational expectations, the Chicago school, fresh water and salt water economic departments. The academic corruption was awful to watch and I was just as complicit in not challenging it. I thought maybe I didn't understand it, I didn't understand it because it was complete rubbish. I hate kicking myself. The most important thing we do as human beings is make things and ask questions. The entire system was fraudulent and capitalism has been in crisis since Thatcher destroyed the coal miners. Neoliberalism is crashing faster than I ever thought possible. The last kick at the cat was Teresa May and she couldn't pull the wool over even to her own party. My horrible nightmare last night was a Brexit crash out of the EU and Deutsche Bank implosion. The European banking system and American financial instability could provide the next crisis that will be unmanageable in stopping the contagion to the fiat system.
Latest blog from ClusterF__kNation sums up my predictions as well https://kunstler.com/cluster@@@@-nation/what-looms-behind/