Introduction: Hi Folks

Yankee

Hi everybody, I'm introducing myself (sorta) as a way to get going here. I've been driving Uber in Austin for about 5 months now. I drive a luxury vehicle, and usually do about 30 hours per week. This is not my primary source of income. I'm a post-graduate level professional with my own business, and enjoy the freedom this gig allows me to do my own business while still keeping some steady cash coming in. I've come to this forum because #1 being an Uber partner is isolating, and #2 there are many frustrations and seemingly shady dealings with Uber that I find impossible to sort out with the Uber Support folks, and I feel the need for some objective feedback and support. I do not get the sense that Uber (the company itself, represented by Support) is really FOR the driver, so I would not risk putting my name or identifying info on here, but I would like to be honest about some of the nonsense I see going on, and get some honest feedback for it. I'm very glad to have stumbled upon this forum, and look forward to connecting with you. Thanks!

Ext7484

Saw your post... stop by to say hi.. Strongly agree with your point 1 and 2.. i have been in some website such as reddit and other forum that seem have been no updated since july 2014.. but seeing active forum and user that post thing up every 1 hours somehow make me feel relieve...^^

Yankee

There are quite a number of issues that come up during this gig that seem shady, and my experience with Uber support is consistently this: #1 they are generally polite and professional, pretty cool and usually prompt; #2 they are consistently inconsistent with each other, so I rarely get the same answer to questions , which leaves me with a sense of distrust that they are being 'transparent' with me. Of all issues, my primary frustration has to do with the Surge Zones that they blast on the screen, followed up with incessant texts about how things are "booming". Time and time again I find myself in the midst of a Surge Zone, and then get an X fare, which typically takes up half an hour of time for a 5 fare. I've received a dozen different answers from Uber Support about the reality of Surge Zones. Only one Support person actually admitted to me that it might only be ONE STREET that is actually surging, even though the entire zone is lit up. Once in a blue moon (usually at 3 a.m.) I hit the jackpot with the Surge Fares. Most of the time, the area is shown to be surging, and the texts are blasting about it, but I'm getting these nickel & dime fares. Anybody else have experience with this? Is there another thread that addresses this?

Ext7484

i just started.. and dont do much time driving with uber.. so i dont really pay any attention to this.. well.. i'll keep my eyes on this from now on..