Insurance

mmn

Can anyone say how much their insurance increased by adding rideshare?
The rate is not a constant. It's based on a number of factors, just like your base insrance rate. Numbers I've seen on here vary from $10-$15 per month to $100-$120 per month.

touberornottouber

$80 a month. But I also lowered my deductible from $1000 to $250, went from 10/20/10 to 50/100/25 and added stacked uninsured motorist also. I had really crappy insurance before adding rideshare.

Florida. Progressive.
Post automatically merged:

The rate is not a constant. It's based on a number of factors, just like your base insrance rate. Numbers I've seen on here vary from $10-$15 per month to $100-$120 per month.

Right. Also in some states such as Florida rideshare insurance seems to mandate a minimum of 50/100/25 coverage. However without rideshare insurance the minimum is 0/0/10 from what I understand. So going from personal insurance to rideshare for Florida people with bad policies before can show a significant increase. But that increase might not be mostly due to the rideshare but rather all the other changes which were required along with it.

Reactions: mmn

mmn

$80 a month. But I also lowered my deductible from $1000 to $250, went from 10/20/10 to 50/100/25 and added stacked uninsured motorist also. I had really crappy insurance before adding rideshare.

Florida. Progressive.
Post automatically merged:

Right. Also in some states such as Florida rideshare insurance seems to mandate a minimum of 50/100/25 coverage. However without rideshare insurance the minimum is 0/0/10 from what I understand. So going from personal insurance to rideshare for Florida people with bad policies before can show a significant increase. But that increase might not be mostly due to the rideshare but rather all the other changes which were required along with it.
True, that. I already had the required minimums with Progressive (even though I like Geico's commercials better).

FLKeys

Progressive in Florida, my policy increased $130 every 6 months adding Rideshare insurance. That is $21.67 per month. Since I pay in full every 6 months I get a discount and actually pay less than $130 every 6 months.

BigJohn

Which insurance is better for car? Can you please ensure.

That is a loaded open ended question.

A) NO ONE can "ensure" you have the correct insurance since the entire subject of insurance is subjective.
B) Which insurance is better is again completely and highly subjective. Things such as your age, financial situation, vehicle, what you do, how much you drive, your record, how often you engage in commercial activities in your vehicle, do you owe anything on the vehicle on and on and so forth.

FLKeys

That is a loaded open ended question.

A) NO ONE can "ensure" you have the correct insurance since the entire subject of insurance is subjective.
B) Which insurance is better is again completely and highly subjective. Things such as your age, financial situation, vehicle, what you do, how much you drive, your record, how often you engage in commercial activities in your vehicle, do you owe anything on the vehicle on and on and so forth.

Agree, that is why I use an agent instead of going to insurance companies directly. My agent presents me with many options and the pros and cons. I make an educated choice at that point. Same routine every 6 months. Helps protect my rates from going up as well since I am not locked into one company long term.

BigJohn

Agree, that is why I use an agent instead of going to insurance companies directly. My agent presents me with many options and the pros and cons. I make an educated choice at that point. Same routine every 6 months. Helps protect my rates from going up as well since I am not locked into one company long term.

However, "trust" but verify. You ultimately are still solely and exclusively responsible for knowing and understanding the insurance you need and have.

And FYI, frequently changing insurance companies (more than 2 in a rolling 5 year period) actually works against you, as it raises a flag in the insurance underwriting database.

FLKeys

However, "trust" but verify. You ultimately are still solely and exclusively responsible for knowing and understanding the insurance you need and have.

And FYI, frequently changing insurance companies (more than 2 in a rolling 5 year period) actually works against you, as it raises a flag in the insurance underwriting database.

It may be a red flag but I also think it keeps companies that know you are shopping from just automatically raising your rates. People get locked into one company and before they know it they are paying double what they should be.

BigJohn

It may be a red flag but I also think it keeps companies that know you are shopping from just automatically raising your rates. People get locked into one company and before they know it they are paying double what they should be.

Not quite. An insurance policy will never increase solely based upon longevity. Actually, the opposite is true, most insurance underwriters will give a longevity discount based upon years of continuous coverage and lack of claims. What CAN and DOES happen is an insurance policy will creep up year by year WITHOUT any review for changes and such. That is called a STAGNATION increase and is solely at the fault of the insured "being asleep at the wheel."

Ballermaris

Not quite. An insurance policy will never increase solely based upon longevity. Actually, the opposite is true, most insurance underwriters will give a longevity discount based upon years of continuous coverage and lack of claims. What CAN and DOES happen is an insurance policy will creep up year by year WITHOUT any review for changes and such. That is called a STAGNATION increase and is solely at the fault of the insured "being asleep at the wheel."
That is true. I did a review and noted I had roadside assistance on my policy but also having AAA I dumped it, added rental coverage, and of course rideshare coverage.
If one has not done a review in at least two years, it would be prudent to do so and with a local agent and not a dimwit in a call center somewhere.