Insurance

JMaxima

Should I get added insurance through my personal insurance company if I'm a part time driver? Thoughts?

Kaal

Yes you should get rideshare endorsement from your provider. If you don't have it, and get into a fender bender -with or without pax- and your insurance finds out, they will drop you.

They'll also drop you if they don't happen to offer a ride share endorsement and you tell them you've been driving Uber... not all ins cos offer it.

JMaxima

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just found out that my current insurance company does not offer a rideshare endorsement in MN. They referred me to Progressive and the new monthly fee went up $85 a month! For a part time (5 hr a week) driver I don't see that to be worth it. Could anyone let me know of a more reasonable insurance company I can check on that does the rideshare endorsement in MN?

Mpls55345

I probably should take this more serious than I do. Anyone know how GEICO deals with this? If they offer? Obviously do not want to call with my number.

Tdizzle22

i had progressive and they have it now..a few years ago they made you get commercial insurance..i got rear ended with pax in the car and progressive didnt do anything..they saw my uber stickers and asked if i drive..said yes and i had a pax with me...they said ok..well lets you get quotes on commerical..they never sent me quotes..and they fixed my car still.

JMaxima

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have progressive and mine only went up 15 dollars a month. Do you drive a Bentley?
Ha no. I just called Progressive myself and the rates were much more reasonable than what my current Insurance Company told me they would be. Glad I verified it straight from the source.

Kaal

Geico wants to sell you their "hybrid" which isn't really one. It's a commercial policy that will cover your personal use.

AlexCom

Progressive only extends your auto coverage to period 1
But rental, roadside, Personal injury benefits are not covered, only your car and liability to others.
I like statefarm one, they extend their coverage over all 3 periods so this eliminates dealing with 1000 2500 uber/lyft deductible

BillC

Ha no. I just called Progressive myself and the rates were much more reasonable than what my current Insurance Company told me they would be. Glad I verified it straight from the source.
Of course your current insurance company greatly inflated what they thought another company would charge you. They don't want to lose your business.

I pay $15/mo for my TNC rider from State Farm. And to echo everyone else out here, driving U/L without a TNC rider is suicide. If you get into a fender bender, your insurance will not cover you and will likely drop you. If you have a pax and/or anyone involved is injured? They're coming after YOU.

I had to move my TNC vehicle to Mercury, as Amica didn't offer any ride share coverage at the time. They do now, but it's limited. Mercury covers all 3 phases of driving. Unfortunately Mercury vs Amica costs me $100 more per month than Amica w/o TNC coverage. Just gotta drive more trips...

uberCh

Just did the insurance thing. Went with Allstate for everything including rideshare insurance, home, auto and umbrella. Saved about $75 a month vs Liberty Mutual.

I probably should take this more serious than I do. Anyone know how GEICO deals with this? If they offer? Obviously do not want to call with my number.
For rideshare you have to go through Geico Commercial. It's not cheap, but it's FULL commercial insurance, so you ass is always covered.

Stumreiter

i had progressive and they have it now..a few years ago they made you get commercial insurance..i got rear ended with pax in the car and progressive didnt do anything..they saw my uber stickers and asked if i drive..said yes and i had a pax with me...they said ok..well lets you get quotes on commerical..they never sent me quotes..and they fixed my car still.
They should have dropped you and refused coverage. Why should everyone else have to pay for your risks?

Ignatowski

Progressive and the new monthly fee went up $85 a month!
I had Progressive with collision but low liability, like 50/100/100. My bill went up by $18/month, and that included raising the liability (which they required, in order to add rideshare).

If I were shopping right now, I'd look at State Farm.

Mikejay

been in an accident with riders in the car. Got super lucky it was a hit and run. It was also the most horrible experience I have ever had and was through lyft at the time. Have not picked up with them again

Stumreiter

been in an accident with riders in the car. Got super lucky it was a hit and run. It was also the most horrible experience I have ever had and was through lyft at the time. Have not picked up with them again
Why wouldn’t you pick up with Lyft again?

Was the opposing party ethnically challenged?