Insurance Will be Based Actual Hours

haldriver

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...vers-to-pay-more-under-new-gps-system/7566348

NSW is introducing insurance policies based on usage for both Taxis and Ride-Share.
Taxi costs down Uber costs up.

For those that claim Uber won't have to pay same insurance as Taxis read this.

NSW now, WA will follow. Insurance companies will not want to subsidise Uber. I have been saying this since joining this forum. You have to factor insurance into costs.

Welcome to the party.

lui6155

Yes Haldriver you have been consistent on this issue and equally so have I and others in that if you are a part time monkey/ use the car private and uber then the arrangement with SGIO is unchanged.
For taxis and SCV if I am correct there is no or minimal private usage but for my vehicles I have communicated 50/50 on one and 25/75 on the other and on that basis SGIO factored in a premium adjustment that in the scheme of things was bugger all!

Last edited by a moderator:

haldriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only cause SGIO is State Government Insurance Organisation and had to do something in the interim.
Read the article. Is NSW but insurance will be pro-rata on GPS data.
Insurance companies aren't fools and will not sit buy and let us use cars excessively to normal usage with out making us pay for it.
Why? Cause they can.

Wait for it and get ready to factor it in.

lui6155

Haldriver SGIO are part of the NRMA group of companies a publicly listed mob no longer any government ties ...yes time will tell but suggest you are scaring the children with your tales.

haldriver

So Lui6155 how long do you think Insurance companies will subsidise us?
It only took 8 months for NSW (where NRMA was pro Uber) to realise problem.

Insurance companies aren't here to do us a favour.

lui6155

Apologies Hal I should have read the article that apparently u read and also misinterpreted....the article is only referring to CTP insurance/nothing to do with SGIO/NRMA comprehensive insurance.
In WA as u are aware the DOT changes have specified that yes the class of CTP insurance should increase and be amended from A to F. That's in stone and the cost too is known...no surprises, finito and an extra $556 as I have read elsewhere.
It would appear WA is a little ahead of NSW in this regard (and much cheaper)

haldriver

Drivers will pay an initial green slip cost, followed by incremental "top-up" payments, depending on how often they drive.

"This is a very fair system for ride-share operators because it means if you're driving a lot and you're making a lot of money, you're going to be paying a premium set on that," Mr Dominello said.

Ride-booking drivers currently pay class one compulsory third party (CTP) premiums, ranging from $537 to $886.

It is expected an Uber driver who works 40 hours a week will pay about three times that amount, bringing them closer to the premiums paid by taxi owners.

So we pay $556 now which is comparable to what NSW were paying.
How long before Government does same as NSW or are Perth ride-share better safer and more conscientious than NSW ride-share.
Note also the complicity of ride-share companies in giving out GPS information.

That's in stone and the cost too is known...no surprises, finito and an extra $556 as I have read elsewhere.
And you think Colon will never change government costs inflicted on WA public (well Colon thinks Uber is the bees knees so you might be right).

UberPig

Not 100% sure but don't you have to organize your own 3rd party ins in NSW with an approved company?? Just thought I remember something about that.....

UberDriverAU

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...vers-to-pay-more-under-new-gps-system/7566348

NSW is introducing insurance policies based on usage for both Taxis and Ride-Share.
Taxi costs down Uber costs up.

For those that claim Uber won't have to pay same insurance as Taxis read this.

NSW now, WA will follow. Insurance companies will not want to subsidise Uber. I have been saying this since joining this forum. You have to factor insurance into costs.

Welcome to the party.
If anything, you have been advocating that taxis get a massive free kick compared to "ride-share" operators by suggesting that both groups should pay the same premium regardless of the time on the road, distance travelled, or risk profiles of each group. That sure as hell isn't a level playing field, because a full-time taxi is on the road more, travels further, and is much more likely to be in an accident compared to a part-time Uber vehicle.

Drivers will pay an initial green slip cost, followed by incremental "top-up" payments, depending on how often they drive.

"This is a very fair system for ride-share operators because it means if you're driving a lot and you're making a lot of money, you're going to be paying a premium set on that," Mr Dominello said.

Ride-booking drivers currently pay class one compulsory third party (CTP) premiums, ranging from $537 to $886.

It is expected an Uber driver who works 40 hours a week will pay about three times that amount, bringing them closer to the premiums paid by taxi owners.

So we pay $556 now which is comparable to what NSW were paying.

How long before Government does same as NSW or are Perth ride-share better safer and more conscientious than NSW ride-share.
Note also the complicity of ride-share companies in giving out GPS information.

And you think Colon will never change government costs inflicted on WA public (well Colon thinks Uber is the bees knees so you might be right).
CTP premiums in WA have risen across the board with the introduction of "no fault" cover days ago on the 1st of July. CTP premiums for Uber vehicles have risen by $150.61/year, and for taxis by $259.94/year. NSW also has a different setup to WA, their CTP insurance is provided by multiple private insurance companies, whereas ours is provided by a single state run insurance commission. I certainly wouldn't be upset if they introduced a user pays system here in WA, full-time vehicles will continue to pay substantially more per year than part-time vehicles (whether they be taxi or "ride-share").

haldriver

If anything, you have been advocating that taxis get a massive free kick compared to "ride-share" operators by suggesting that both groups should pay the same premium regardless of the time on the road, distance travelled, or risk profiles of each group. That sure as hell isn't a level playing field, because a full-time taxi is on the road more, travels further, and is much more likely to be in an accident compared to a part-time Uber vehicle.
No I have been saying that both should pay their due amount for the same usage which means if an Uber is doing 168 hours a week they should pay for 168 hours a week and if a Taxi is doing 50 hours a week they should pay for 50 hours. Not all uber do occasional 5 hours. That is just the mantra sold by Uber HQ. Just look at dog's recent efforts. Lot of Uber out there all night every night.
Technology means the insurers can now judge more accurately exactly what you are doing with your car. And you can bet SGIO etc. will start checking to make sure you are doing ride-share as a minority use of car. So if your running 300-500km over the weekend and doing only 200 for personal use questions will be asked.

Guess I am the harbinger of doom but you got to factor these things into your cost just like wear and tear and depreciation.
Yeah reality is a B**** but rose coloured glasses is for the doomed.

Gazza1953

No I have been saying that both should pay their due amount for the same usage which means if an Uber is doing 168 hours a week they should pay for 168 hours a week and if a Taxi is doing 50 hours a week they should pay for 50 hours. Not all uber do occasional 5 hours. That is just the mantra sold by Uber HQ. Just look at dog's recent efforts. Lot of Uber out there all night every night.
Technology means the insurers can now judge more accurately exactly what you are doing with your car. And you can bet SGIO etc. will start checking to make sure you are doing ride-share as a minority use of car. So if your running 300-500km over the weekend and doing only 200 for personal use questions will be asked.

Guess I am the harbinger of doom but you got to factor these things into your cost just like wear and tear and depreciation.
I do the occasional 5 but I'm only new to Uber. If I see a profit after taking in all considerations, I will go FT and make a living. If not, I'll cut my losses and bug out.

Gazza1953

That has been my argument all along, "taking in all considerations" from insurance to wear and tear and abuse and vomit.
Well, you have to, don't you? It's a business. If you can't make a decent profit/living why do it?
I have 4 other streams of income. All small but they all add up to a decent living . If any one of them was losing money or not worth my time, I would drop it like a hot rock.

Loz

I concur. I am allowed to drive 58 hrs a week but only drive a max of 30 hrs but my part time insurance this year was $3,460. after the 20th this month the DOT has said I can only work a max 26hrs a week to accomodate the arrival of Uber.. I contacted my insurance company and was informed my Insurance will remain the same so how can this be fair?

UberDriverAU

Oh you certainly are the prophet of doom. Why don't you have a review of this post of yours:

https://uberpeople.net/threads/ready-for-new-regulations-july-1st-2016.65143/

... and let us know how accurate your predictions were. :wink:

Reality is indeed a @@@@@ when you're a prophet of doom.