Insurance requirements for Uber

Hannibalb

Anyone know the exact personal insurance requirements for Uber?

I know 2 million personal liability is required. Is comprehensive or collision necessary as well? I had a broker say that they are...is this the case??

Are there any other requirements other than the standard policy?

Hannibalb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anybody? Is collision and comprehensive coverage necessary on your private policy if driving for Uber?

Actionjax

Anybody? Is collision and comprehensive coverage necessary on your private policy if driving for Uber?
If you don't have it then Uber won't give it to you. Part of the claims process is they want to see what personal insurance you had before they give you the same type of coverage.

And I recommend even though Uber has a $2,000,000 liability for Uber covered it's a good idea for yourself to up your personal from 1 mil to 2 million for outside of Uber. In this day and age a million is nothing and the government has not caught up to mandating this to everyone.

Also from 1 Million to 2 Million is not that much difference overall in the policy. Cost me about 100 more a year I think.

Hannibalb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The agent I was talking to was basically saying that 2 million liability, collision and comp coverage are necessary on your personal policy if you are doing Uber. Is this actually the case? I understand Uber may only match whats on your private policy, but is it actually the case they would require you to have the same coverage on your private policy?

TomP

See https://www.intact.ca/uber-ride-sharing, and look at the chart explaining the coverage. There is an asterisked footnote that says "Comprehensive and Collision insurance coverage for physical damage is only available under the commercial policy to participating Uber drivers who have this coverage on their personal insurance policy." So it doesn't say you have to have this coverage and thus I am not fully answering your question but given what it says I recommend getting the comprehensive and collision coverage.

I would like to commend Uber for improving the insurance. It is not perfect but is a significant improvement. I'd like to see higher liability coverage and comprehensive and collision coverage that matches what the driver has under the personal policy. I'd like to see more insurance companies accept Uber drivers but that is a matter for those insurance companies.

UPDATE: While I was composing my post, Actionjax and Hannibalb posted, so my initial post doesn't reflect their input.

Last edited:

momo14

As far as i know, you don't need 2 million insurance policy,,, as long as you have insurance with Uber friendly insurance company ( intact, novex, bell direct ) you are good to go even if you have 1 million insurance policy.

Harry70

Uber and intact should come out with there insurance policy in bold; insurance always has tricky clauses ; city should step in and make things clear; don't know what they want from uber drivers : all here trying to make money out of poor uber drivers

Actionjax

As far as i know, you don't need 2 million insurance policy,,, as long as you have insurance with Uber friendly insurance company ( intact, novex, bell direct ) you are good to go even if you have 1 million insurance policy.
That is correct...you don't need it. You still have 2 Million when the App is being used. and 1 million when you don't have a passenger. But On a personal note I wouldn't recommend anything under 2 million for yourself regardless of Uber.

In fact when I was with my old insurance company before switching I used to run % million because I was doing Uber. And had a 6a endorsement in force.

And yes it was expensive. almost $400 a month for 2 drivers.

Manhoos

For you personal insurance, by law you must carry a "minimum" of $200,000 in Third-Party Liability coverage.
Rest depends on the deal and options you're offered from Insurance company/agent.

Actionjax

For you personal insurance, by law you must carry a "minimum" of $200,000 in Third-Party Liability coverage.
Rest depends on the deal and options you're offered from Insurance company/agent.
Ya...$200,000 is what the law requires. I haven't seen a single company offer this policy. Not that I have looked that hard.