1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Insurance for this???

Discussion in 'Asheville' started by ahorrasi, Nov 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ahorrasi

ahorrasi New Member

Hi all

am thinking of doing Uber but I can't figure out where in this godforsaken state I can find insurance that will cover commercial/uber usage. I already discovered that mine (geico) does not in NC and don't know where else to go/who else to ask

what do y'all use?

thanks in advance

2. Mags

Mags New Member

I have USAA and just found out that I have a gap of coverage while the APP is on and waiting for a passenger. I'm looking for coverage for that time frame. Has anyone found any in NC? USAA covers me before the APP is on. Uber covers while I have a passenger only. If I am wrong, please let me know! I am new to this. Thanks.

3. ahorrasi

ahorrasi New Member

literally just talked to USAA - they don't offer it, no insurance co. save possibly some ****ty overpaid local mafia offers this in this state

did USAA allow you to remain covered or did they somehow threaten to cut you off?

the only real issue is when the insurance co. decides to ignore ALL your claims bc of that small gap, elsewhere in this forum it even says that at times whenever you file a claim the company now checks your DL and VIN and if you show up as Uber driver and you have the gap it denies all claims

Older Chauffeur likes this.
  4. Mags

Mags New Member

USAA doesn't offer business insurance, which, is what I need.

I'm currently researching options.

No, they did not threaten to cut me off.

Thanks for the information.

5. ahorrasi

ahorrasi New Member

the ****ing joke ppl who run this forum won't let me put stuff that could actually help us both solve this problem, sorry about that, I had a lead from 2 previous entries on this forum and was just going to put in the link but oh well

"Hi everyone, name is Jamie. I am new to this site and relatively new to North Carolina. I love the interaction. Wanted to share quick story, I just moved to North Carolina a few months ago from Pennsylvania. I have been doing rideshare just over a year. In PA there are many many options for ridesharing insurance Didn't relize my insurance through Geico and Allstate (swicthed to) both didn't cover me when I moved to NC for UBER/LYFT. Come to find out very few companies actually cover ridesharing and even if you are not on the app won't cover you if take part in rideshare business. I found this young man online searching for insurance options in North Carolina by the name Yaakov Lichter 718)877-4597. I posted to someones comment earlier about him because I think very highly of him. He explained to me the coverages clearly and also saved me money with a rideshare friendly insurance company. With regards to the business I have not had as much success monetarily in NC as of yet with riders but the competition here in Wilmington is not as fierce as it was in Philadelphia. Adjusting can take time but its definitely getting more and popular in the bigger cities here. I am really happy to have found him because I did not realize when you switch from one State to the other Insurance companies don't insure their clients the same way. I think its ridiculous but good for you all to know and wanted to share with you. I think he is licensed in a bunch of States but not sure which ones aside for PA, CT and NC. Hope this helps! :)"

"Progressive has an uber friendly policy for rideshare. Basically, it is a normal insurance policy with an increased "mileage to work" total. This will cover you outside of accepting a ride and after the dropoff. It's pretty cheap. Google "uber insurance" and you will get a number for an independent insurance carrier out of Raleigh that can help you."

""nc" Uber "insurancec om is the place I called. I'm pretty sure they said it was from Progressive but could have been wrong. I ended up calling my current insurance carrier (major company I had for 25 years and currently insure 5 vehicles) and their legal department looked over uber's insurance and two day after my call, they sent me a letter confirming they will cover me before and after ride share commitments (from accepting ride to dropping off). No increase in premiums. Although I said I'm only part time ride share (5-10 hrs per week), I still have real-life regular use of my vehicle."

i will check up on these leads b4 the weekend but ifyou make it b4 me would love insight

6. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Welcome to North Carolina... you'll find things lagging behind the nation on quite a few fronts unfortunately. I love living here, especially in the WNC mountains, but things are what they are.

I went with Progressive myself and got an okay deal for rideshare insurance with a commercial policy. Definitely going to keep my options open in case we get more competition. Just make sure you get the proper insurance though cause of people writing down plate numbers and sending them to insurance companies. You could find yourself dropped or up a creek should things go south. Best of luck! Idk about the winter but the other seasons are great for rideshare here in Asheville.

Older Chauffeur and ahorrasi like this.
  7. Darrell Green Fan

Darrell Green Fan Member

Just wondering how much the gap insurance is for someone who will be looking to do this in retirement. In other words not that often, just for a little spending money and to avoid the couch. But if the insurance will offset the earnings it does not make a lot of sense.

8. 781623

781623 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My understanding is while the app is on, Uber provides liability insurance of different limits. They provide collision insurance only when the driver has accepted a fare and until the ride is complete. When the app is on, and no ride is in progress, the driver is no collision insurance coverage.

9. Jamie Coalsten

Jamie Coalsten New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That is my understanding as well, not just no collisionbut no comprehensive. Liability is 50/100. Need to make sure the insurance we hve is 50/100 on regular insurance

781623 likes this.
  10. IndyUber86

IndyUber86 New Member

I have Erie Insurance with Uber/Lyft ride sharing endorsement. Its about $250 extra on your premium a year.

781623 likes this.
  11. 781623

781623 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Erie does not have that endorsement in North Carolina...

12. Mrlucky

Mrlucky New Member

Geico offer coverage but you have to get a commercial policy not a personal policy.