• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Insurance Dongle thingy…Good/Bad idea?

SATX

I apologize in advance if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I also recognize that I could pose the question to a larger forum; but, I happen to value the posts/replies that I’ve read here…so…

Would you advise against/for using the plugin “research” device offered by insurance companies to receive a discount? (the one that tracks speed, location, driving patterns etc.) I read the legal agreement (for USAA) which essentially says that they will not raise my rates based on the information obtained; but, (of course) the information would be made available for legal purposes as required by law (i.e. someones lawyer requests it to prove that I was…fill in the blank). Obviously, this could cut both ways. Thoughts/Opinions?

ATX 22

Not in a vehicle being used for Ubering, unless you've already purchased a rideshare rider to your policy.

renbutler

I used one from State Farm before I ever drove for Uber, and it reduced my premium noticeably because I was scored highly in safe driving.

After a free year, I had to pay OneDrive to use it, so I dropped it. The cost would have negated most of the premium savings.

But I proved that I'm being penalized for the fact that most people can't drive well.

LAuberX

using such a device while "ubering" is a very bad idea.

Insurance companies do no want to see that kind of activity on your car. They charge less when you drive less.

The lowest cost policies go to drivers who do less than 3,000 miles per year... an Uber driver does 3k per month!

ATX 22

using such a device while "ubering" is a very bad idea.

Insurance companies do no want to see that kind of activity on your car. They charge less when you drive less.

The lowest cost policies go to drivers who do less than 3,000 miles per year... an Uber driver does 3k per month!
True, but non disclosure is the same as fraud, no?