• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Insurance Definition

JaySonic

If, as some insurers claim, the policy covers 'part time use' for rideshare at 20 hours/week, i wonder how they determine the hours. I would argue that online time is inaccurate, as I might sit at home waiting for a ping for several hours a day. Surely I cannot be considered using my car for rideshare when it's sitting in my driveaway.

And by extension whether Im in between jobs driving or not, 'rideshare' only starts when I have a pax in my car!

Has anyone raised this with your insurer?

M3uber

Good point. On trip time (pax in car only) is very short compared to overall Online time.

JaySonic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I go to visit my mother in Campbelltown, I like to take the scenic route back home instead of the motorway
Its over an hour trip and I am online but never get a ping. I would certainly argue with an insurer that this is not ridesharing.

I'm going to seek written clarification from NRMA on rideshare when I return to Australia from holidays.

Does anyone else have some questions they would like me to include in my communication with them?

M3uber

When I go to visit my mother in Campbelltown, I like to take the scenic route back home instead of the motorway
Its over an hour trip and I am online but never get a ping. I would certainly argue with an insurer that this is not ridesharing.

I'm going to seek written clarification from NRMA on rideshare when I return to Australia from holidays.

Does anyone else have some questions they would like me to include in my communication with them?
So try and clarify whether time online means Total online time or On trip time. These two times we can get from our dashboard but I don't think we can get the total En-route to pick up time.

Also, does 20 hours a week mean you can't have any week over 20 hours or do they mean an average taken from say the last 6 months?

JaySonic

Yes sure. Point 1 I am already raising. Point 3 I will ask of its an annualised average or per actual week.

Who is John Galt?

Author
If, as some insurers claim, the policy covers 'part time use' for rideshare at 20 hours/week, i wonder how they determine the hours. I would argue that online time is inaccurate, as I might sit at home waiting for a ping for several hours a day. Surely I cannot be considered using my car for rideshare when it's sitting in my driveaway.

And by extension whether Im in between jobs driving or not, 'rideshare' only starts when I have a pax in my car!

Has anyone raised this with your insurer?

Jay, this has been mentioned in a million threads (Okay I will try and find for you :biggrin: )
Short answer - Allianz
No hour(s) restriction
Km noted on the policy as per the setup quote (i.e. I have an annual limit of up 50,000km)

I will try and find relevant threads for you tomorrow.:smiles:

JaySonic

I will be approaching NRMA, as I get a good policy rate. They have in the past stated to me "part time".

My question is about the definition of when ridesharing begins from the insurer's perpective. To date Ive not seen a single thread discussing this.

Who is John Galt?

Author
I will be approaching NRMA, as I get a good policy rate. They have in the past stated to me "part time".

My question is about the definition of when ridesharing begins from the insurer's perpective. To date Ive not seen a single thread discussing this.
If there are no time restrictions i.e. 20 hours, 20 minutes or whatever: it just doesn't matter.
Why would you deal with a policy that may (yes, may) trip you up with some convoluted time restriction, if you don't have to?
I'm sure this was discussed (again.....extensively just yesterday)

Sheeeesh....as if I haven't got enough to do.....if you want something done.....give it to a busy person.
Here is a start:
[look :eek: here]

JaySonic

That time of the month, mate? :smiles:

As stated.. I get a good rate with NRMA

SydneyUber Chick

Ask them where in the PDS does it mention "part time" and where is the definition of such. I can't find anything regarding number of hours etc in my PDS. If it's not in the PDS then anyone you talk to can tell you anything and it means nothing. (and for me NRMA was $300 cheaper than Allianz so not wanting to switch if I dont have to)

ZacHudson777

Where does it specify on the NRMA policy that it's limited to 20 hours part time? It doesn't appear on mine, and operator at the time of enquiry didn't mention it - not that you'd expect them to.

54sept

Im with NRMA and they want an extra $20 a month for rideshare with no extra benefits. This insurance is for your car only, if u have a prang no differance if you driving any other time. Make your claim and get it fixed. If you have a pax at the time its up to you what you do with them. Any injuries are claimed on Greenslip. Just their way of getting more from you. I had a claim last year, was never asked if i was ride sharing. Did claim over the phone while towie was hooking up my car. Got payed out in 24 hrs.