• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Insurance blues

hustle and drive

Hello, I have just completed my sign up process to become an UBER partner. However, there is one issue that is preventing me from driving.
It seems that UBER's current insurance policy only covers the driver with liability insurance during the unmatched phase (phase 1), while waiting for a ride request. My current insurance carrier is one of the largest in the country and they will not cover me while online on the UBER partner app (this is understandable). This leaves me with UBER's "liability only" policy while awaiting a ride request.
My car is currently financed, and they require for there to be full comprehensive and collision on the vehicle at ALL times as long as the vehicle is financed by myself (as do all other auto lean holders/financiers).
I have looked into getting "Rideshare Gap Coverage" for the state of Kentucky, however, no major insurance carriers currently offer this coverage in the state of Kentucky. This makes me wonder how anyone is driving in Kentucky with a financed vehicle, and keeping their lean holders satisfied.
Is there a solution to this issue that I have overlooked? If not, I can say that I will be unable to ever "go online" as an UBER partner, until this issue is resolved.

Slon

Yeah. So - don't drive in Phase 1. Go sit in a parking lot waiting for a fare.

Solved.

hustle and drive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Still a couple of issues,
1. How does this stand legally with my finance company/lein holder that requires that there is FULL comp/collision on the vehicle.
2. What about coverage for things like hail damage, the wind blows a shopping cart into my car, my car catches fire, etc?

5 Star Guy

You're right, you're screwed and can't drive. Set up a Google Alert for TNC Gap coverage in KY, something like that. Follow the legislature if they are introducing a bill soon. I bet most states will have it by the end of the year.

hustle and drive

that's what I figured. :frown:
You're right, you're screwed and can't drive. Set up a Google Alert for TNC Gap coverage in KY, something like that. Follow the legislature if they are introducing a bill soon. I bet most states will have it by the end of the year.

SEAL Team 5

Hello, I have just completed my sign up process to become an UBER partner. However, there is one issue that is preventing me from driving.
It seems that UBER's current insurance policy only covers the driver with liability insurance during the unmatched phase (phase 1), while waiting for a ride request. My current insurance carrier is one of the largest in the country and they will not cover me while online on the UBER partner app (this is understandable). This leaves me with UBER's "liability only" policy while awaiting a ride request.
My car is currently financed, and they require for there to be full comprehensive and collision on the vehicle at ALL times as long as the vehicle is financed by myself (as do all other auto lean holders/financiers).
I have looked into getting "Rideshare Gap Coverage" for the state of Kentucky, however, no major insurance carriers currently offer this coverage in the state of Kentucky. This makes me wonder how anyone is driving in Kentucky with a financed vehicle, and keeping their lean holders satisfied.
Is there a solution to this issue that I have overlooked? If not, I can say that I will be unable to ever "go online" as an UBER partner, until this issue is resolved.
Welcome to commercial driving. There's already a few drivers that are still making car payments on their totaled out vehicles. Driving for many years, I can give you some very good advice. DONT TRUST Uber's word, and Listen to your insurance agent.

5 Star Guy

Never tell your insurance company you are doing this, they have the right to toss you, even if you don't Youber after you tell them. If you are not sure about your coverage Google your state and Youber, only a few states have the insurance that everyone needs to do this.

hustle and drive

Never tell your insurance company you are doing this, they have the right to toss you, even if you don't Youber after you tell them. If you are not sure about your coverage Google your state and Youber, only a few states have the insurance that everyone needs to do this.
well, i just told my insurance company that i was thinking about signing up to drive with uber and that I wanted to check coverage. My insurance company actually offers rideshare gap coverage for several states, just not the one that I live. However, they are not aware that I actually signed up as an UBER partner. But I have never driven for UBER and will not until this issue is resolved.

They never mentioned anything about "dropping me, if i do" during the conversation.

Hopefully they don't drop me for "asking questions":confused:

5 Star Guy

Gecko is the worst, these companies drop you faster than you can hang up the phone. Never call them, the info you need is online in the news these days.

ATX 22

If you don't disclose, that is insurance fraud. You need a commercial livery policy to be truly covered. This has been beaten to death in the insurance threads.

Greguzzi

Are the rates in your area even worth driving for? Even if they are, Uber will soon drop those rates. You're way better off doing something that will actually reward you with anything near minimum wage.

hustle and drive

I agree, that's one of the reasons why I WILL NOT drive for Uber until 1 of 2 things happen...

1. Rideshare Gap coverage is offered in my state

or

2. UBER extends it's comp/collision coverage to cover phase I of the trip.

Until then, my car will not be a rideshare vehicle

5 Star Guy

You never mention you're doing this in a state that does not have the TNC Gap coverage, which are most states. Yes, if you are asked by someone at the insurance company, not an auto body shop, appraiser, or insurance agent then you would need to disclose you do this or that is fraud. The problem is the companies are asking now when you file a claim, even for a broken windshield or when you renew. That's when they will get you. Yes it has been beaten to death and there are millions of drivers who will get screwed for not knowing this.

hustle and drive

Are the rates in your area even worth driving for? Even if they are, Uber will soon drop those rates. You're way better off doing something that will actually reward you with anything near minimum wage.
UBER just dropped rates here to $1 a mile.

between this and the added cost of rideshare gap insurance (when it gets offered in my state), will make it almost a joke to try and financially make sense.

hustle and drive

You never mention you're doing this in a state that does not have the TNC Gap coverage, which are most states. Yes, if you are asked by someone at the insurance company, not an auto body shop, appraiser, or insurance agent then you would need to disclose you do this or that is fraud. The problem is the companies are asking now when you file a claim, even for a broken windshield or when you renew. That's when they will get you. Yes it has been beaten to death and there are millions of drivers who will get screwed for not knowing this.
Just for clarification, I HAVE NEVER actually driven for UBER. I have only signed up as a driver. I have never actually DONE IT. So , technically the vehicle is NOT being used for commercial purposes (nor has it ever) , i've never even pressed the "go online" icon on the app.

That's funny that you mention the above quote. USAA has actually posted an article titled "Insight:ridesharing requires coverage. " on their own website. The second to last paragraph in the article actually states, "If you’re a USAA-insured driver thinking about working for a TNC, you should know you are not covered by your personal auto policy during the unmatched phase of the ride-sharing process

Why would they say that you are not insured during the "unmatched phase" if their true intention is to drop you like a bad habit?

Insight: Ridesharing Requires Coverage
‎04-02-2015 08:24 AM

Ridesharing companies such as Uber® and Lyft® are working to build up their ranks, and one of their strongest recruiting efforts is aimed at military members.

The rapid rise in popularity of these services in big cities is creating many job opportunities as drivers. If you’re thinking about signing up to join the “sharing economy,” we suggest you make sure you and your car have appropriate insurance coverage.

Ridesharing companies, more formally known as “transportation network companies" (TNC), use online links or smartphone apps to connect passengers with drivers who use their personal vehicles as alternative taxicabs.

Uber has been particularly ambitious in targeting current uniformed personnel, veterans and their spouses. Last year, it launched an initiative called UberMilitary that aims to employ 50,000 members of the military community by early 2016. The company reported in mid-February that it had hired 10,000.

The sales pitch by Uber is that, by attaching themselves to the company, military members become self-employed transportation entrepreneurs with the flexibility to work full time or part time. In appealing to spouses, the company makes a valid point that frequent household moves — an integral part of military life — make it difficult to have a traditional job.

There are insurance considerations to keep in mind.

Ridesharing drivers are typically covered by their personal auto insurance prior to activating the TNC’s mobile app and then by a commercial insurance policy when they are matched with a passenger. Between those events — after turning on the mobile app but before connecting with a passenger — they may face an insurance coverage gap.

Colorado was the first state requiring TNCs to provide primary coverage to drivers in the “unmatched” phase if coverage is not available through another source. That state’s law sets minimum coverage limits, which may not be sufficient to adequately protect a TNC driver in the event of a claim.

If you’re a USAA-insured driver thinking about working for a TNC, you should know you are not covered by your personal auto policy during the unmatched phase of the ride-sharing process.

USAA now offers this gap coverage for drivers in certain states. USAA members interested in obtaining ridesharing coverage can learn more by calling 1-800-531-8722.

5 Star Guy

USAA does offer the optional TNC Gap Coverage in some states including MA now. People need to know they need that policy so they're completely covered and could be screwed without it.

USAA now offers this gap coverage for drivers in certain states. USAA members interested in obtaining ridesharing coverage can learn more by calling 1-800-531-8722.

Novus Caesar

USAA does offer the Ride Share coverage. They realize they need to do this because the average Joe Schmoe is going to do it anyway, so they might as well make money off it. Otherwise Joe Schmoe gets in an accident and just says he was out for a ride. No mention of working for Uber.

Novus Caesar

State laws affect this. For instance, in SC, insurance cannot charge you to replace a cracked windshield. In Georgia, they can. All bureaucracy.