Inspections

Park Ranger

Just a Maryland Inspection and you can get it done free from one of Ubers suggested places. You can also use the same inspection for Lyft.

Park Ranger

If I remember when signing up the inspection needs to be within 30 days. Feel free to ask away. I signed up and went to a place in Cockeysville which was free. I wish I knew about this site when signing up.

DelaJoe

You have to watch the garages that do it for free...Suddenly they find things on your car that fail and charge you an arm and a leg to get them fixed...hence the free inspection. If you go to a garage of your choice you might have to pay $50 or $60 but you will pass the inspection and they won't rip you off on the small items that need fixed.

Here on the Eastern Shore there is only one location that does "free" inspections and it is a dealership which charges an arm and a leg for repairs. Plus you have to wait several weeks to get in for the "free" inspection. A lot of folks drive down to Virginia because that inspection is a lot simpler than the Maryland form.

IrishIronMike

You have to watch the garages that do it for free...Suddenly they find things on your car that fail and charge you an arm and a leg to get them fixed...hence the free inspection. If you go to a garage of your choice you might have to pay $50 or $60 but you will pass the inspection and they won't rip you off on the small items that need fixed.

Here on the Eastern Shore there is only one location that does "free" inspections and it is a dealership which charges an arm and a leg for repairs. Plus you have to wait several weeks to get in for the "free" inspection. A lot of folks drive down to Virginia because that inspection is a lot simpler than the Maryland form.

Another reason to get a VA state inspection is so you can pick up riders in VA. MD inspection allows you to pick up in MD and DC only. VA inspection allows you to pick up in all three. I am thinking of doing it now that I have had a few rides to Reagan from Baltimore/Towson.

And the inspection fee is tax deductible.

DelaJoe

I can't pick up in DC because I have a Delaware drivers license. In order to pickup in DC you need a DC-MD-VA drivers license. So many rules....

harcouber

My solution for that is easy .......

I go to one place for inspections, and tell them up front that anything they find will be taken care of by another garage.
If they find something, I take it to another garage and tell them what needs to be done for inspection.
Generally speaking if you maintain your car well, the only thing they find will be stupid stuff like a light bulb burnt out.
My last inspection failed for a License Plate bulb ..... the inspector just popped one in for me.
Now if you are a person who ignores your vehicle ..... the inspection could be expensive.

The garage that does my inspections gets other work from me, but they know that I will never give them work that results from an inspection they do.

surgchaser

Another reason to get a VA state inspection is so you can pick up riders in VA. MD inspection allows you to pick up in MD and DC only. VA inspection allows you to pick up in all three. I am thinking of doing it now that I have had a few rides to Reagan from Baltimore/Towson.
MD inspection is recognized in VA. Had my inspection done is Severna Park for free. Called on Monday, inspected on Tuesday morning and check sheet uploaded to Uber and Lyft by 11:00am. They had 2 people in front of me and one came in after me so best to call ahead.

Severna Park Crown
502 Ritchie Hwy, Severna Park · (443) 906-2162

harcouber

Yeah inspections
Another reason to get a VA state inspection is so you can pick up riders in VA. MD inspection allows you to pick up in MD and DC only.

If the vehicle is registered in Maryland, it has to be inspected in Maryland.
Virginia recognizes any inspections so long as the state the vehicle was inspected in, is the state the vehicle is registered in.
At least that is what Uber and the insurers are saying.

Autofahrer

Went to Pep Boys in Frederick. Yea, free inspection. Still have to buy tires, do alinement, rear brakes were 3/32 --went ahead and replaced them too.