• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Inspections in Reno?

Bauberon

Well, as of Thursday, I will be heading down to Vegas to get my 2014 Chrysler Town & Country inspected. I have been trying to get ready for the launch since the bill was passed earlier this year. Unfortunately, I've ran in to hurdle after hurdle.

I started asking Uber Support when, where, and how and they would vaguely reply with,"that's a good question" and things like that. Meanwhile, I shopped cars online and thought out my plan. I would send an occasional email asking for more info, but to no avail. Just another (different) person not knowing anything.

So as I'm waiting to see what is happening I hear that Uber has launched in Nevada. Las Vegas specifically. I turn on my passenger app and sure enough there are cars on the road in Vegas. So I figured I'd look in Reno. There was one car on the road. How? I wasn't notified of anything. I've been emailing.

So now I have to make a move. I head to Carmax to get my vehicle. The salesman was with other customers and told me to come back later. I drove off and it dawned on me that was not right so I went back and they said he shouldn't have done that. So on with the purchase.

They ordered my car from Sacramento. More time. It gets here and is damaged. More time! Meanwhile, I find a better one in Sacramento and had them ship it. More time (ugh!). Then I get a call saying the better one I ordered had a slight cigarette odor. I told them to ship it anyway and I'll decide between the two (after the first one had been repainted).

Well I chose the 2nd one and there was no smoke smell and the emails keep rolling to Uber Support. Are they sure I have to drive all the way to Vegas? Final answer: Yes! I chased down a couple drivers and they say there was an activation event at GSR. How did I miss that? Oh well. I guess I'm headed south!

getanzt

Good luck, and please keep us updated on what you find out! I wish I had known about the activation event at GSR as well. I sent an inquiry about how to get the TNC sticker, and got vague replies of "go to the activation center" in Las Vegas, when I clearly stated I am in Reno. I asked if it could be sent via mail, or if they really expected me to drive 450 miles, and again got an unhelpful, generic reply.

My personal vehicle is slightly too old, so I would be looking at purchasing a used one from Craigslist that would be Uber approved. However, with all of these hoops to jump through, and the risk of being dropped from insurance that I keep hearing about if they find out you are driving for Uber... I am really starting to second guess if this would be worth it or not. I hope some other current Uber Reno drivers can chime in.

ckswihs14

Anyone have any alternative suggestions for getting a TNC permit in Northern Nevada. Are there any other options available locally?

Oscar Sessions

That really sucks we have to drive to Las Vegas. Don't they know how far that is for us? I am surprised they assume Nevada is so small. The headquarters is in SF so you think they would know better. I am signing up for Lyft today and they come out to inspect vehicles so I should have that. You are allowed to drive for both Lyft and Uber which is my plan. I really don't have time to go to LV though. That is a whole 2 day trip. Maybe they can have another event at the GSR if enough of us bug them.

TrueBlue

Yeah I recently decided I would look into this to make some extra cash and hopefully pay off some student loans. But VEGAS! Really? I can't do that, probably will look into Lyft especially if Oscar is right and they come to you for the inspection. That's asking a lot. If anyone hears about them doing another event please post it! Safe Travels

TrueBlue

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but is this TNC Lics/Inspection the same as the inspection we need to get at an auto place? I was on the LV board and there was a comment about her getting it done at Firestone. They sent me a link of multiple locs in Northern NV and are $20. Can we just do this? If not I'll have to head over to Lyft until Uber gets their stuff together. Thanks in advance.

getanzt

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but is this TNC Lics/Inspection the same as the inspection we need to get at an auto place? I was on the LV board and there was a comment about her getting it done at Firestone. They sent me a link of multiple locs in Northern NV and are $20. Can we just do this? If not I'll have to head over to Lyft until Uber gets their stuff together. Thanks in advance.
From what I understand, I think we can get the inspection done up here but it sounds like we have to go to Vegas to get the TNC sticker as I don't think the inspection shops give that out. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding so far.

Bauberon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I got everything done and here's the process: Drive to Las Vegas. Take your driver's license, registration, insurance, and the vehicle to the Hampton Inn on Tropicana and Dean Martin. First go inside the convention center that opens at 10:00 am and sign up on iPads they have at the sign in desk in the lobby. Then go in to the convention room and have a seat. They have stations set up along the walls of the room with employees and your name will appear on the big screen showing where you are in line (similar to the way DMV operates). They will call your name and you go to the numbered station and they will go over your paperwork. They will enter your info into the system and give you your TNC and "U" sticker and an AUX cable for your car stereo. You'll also get a help sheet that has info on how to download the driver app. Then take your car to the parking area in the rear of the property (just drive around until you see the line. You won't miss it.) There, the staff from Tire Kickers will inspect your car and will guide you through the process. They ask you to get out and will drive your car over to the inspection area and a crew of guys will inspect your car and ask you to wait in the pick up area. Once done, they'll call you over and if your car passed they have you take a picture of the passed inspection sheet for you to upload to Uber. They keep the sheet so have your camera ready. Then all you have to do is wait for your driver app to get activated once all your papers are approved by Uber.

Now be prepared for some hiccups. I have had all kinds of hurdles to overcome and it can be very frustrating. I had duplicate accounts somehow and they conflicted and caused delay. I had my background check done and documents uploaded already done online at home. But the activation center restarted the whole process and now I'm waiting even longer for the background check to go through. It came back and I should be ready to go, right? But now, since I went to the activation center, I'm waiting (again) for another BG check to come in. So be patient, and try to have everything in order. Think ahead and do your research. I overheard a lot of people asking questions and there's a ton of misinformation and no one really knows what's going on. There are driver's going there to complain about things like getting ticketed at McCarran Airport for dropping off. The county hasn't come up with their licensing program yet and Uber is operating anyway. But that's a Vegas problem which, by the way, you can work in if you want to try it out before making the drive back to Reno. But be aware, you should know what you're doing in Vegas before trying that. I am an experienced Las Vegas taxi and limo driver. I plan on working in both cities depending on winter conditions and conventions and sporting events and such. (But that's another post)

By the way, I have not done my first trip yet. I am waiting to see if my app will be activated while I'm down here. I'd really like to at least do one trip to satisfy my need to know everything is working properly. However, I may end up going home before it is done. I plan on going back into the activation center before I leave and see if I can get immediate help seeing that Uber Support takes longer and doesn't always directly answer my questions. Maybe they don't even read the emails and just give a robotic, generic answer. I asked why they had 2 separate background checks going after I got the email that my background check was passed and they sent me an email telling me how to start by signing up with my driver's license, AFTER already going to the activation center and getting everything done! There is NOTHING that should be holding me up. But it's their system's confusion that is causing delay. So after going back and forth with emails from Uber Support, I'm at the mercy of having to just sit and wait until the activation center opens tomorrow at 10 am and go in and tell them what's going on. Maybe (or not) I'll get this thing going before making the trek back to Reno. Meanwhile everyone else is probably just skating through with no problems, getting signed up with everything working just fine and dandy!

Also, you are required to get a Nevada State business license online at nvsilverflume.gov and it's $200

Hope this helps anyone in Reno planning on signing up with Uber. Use my referral code if you like, it's posted over on Facebook/Northern Nevada Uber Drivers.

Bauberon

Update: Drove down Thurs. Inspected Fri. Activated Tuesday. I will work today and tonight for the Democratic Debate. Drive home to Sparks in the morning.

getanzt

I was told via email support today that they could send me a TNC sticker via mail after I upload my car information, so that is good to know once I get an eligible car. So it sounds like there are inspection places here in Reno and then getting the sticker in the mail might be a possibility.

TrueBlue

Hey All,

UPDATE for me, UBER mailed me my TNC Sticker, THEN I went to Nevada Automotive Diagnostics for the inspection. Cost me $50 but better than driving to Vegas (Which I wasn't willing to do). Too about 4 days to get the sticker. I am hoping to start driving tonight. I also heard that UBER is into Carson City now. Any one have any luck in Carson? Or what's your favorite area to hang out in. Don't forget Wild Erotic Ball is tonight hoping that will bring people out. Good Luck!

rusnnja

Just so everyone else knows that's signing up, you can get a free inspection at Jiffy Lube on 1055 S Rock Blvd Sparks, NV 89431
As well, not sure if everyone is aware of this but we do need business license
http://reno.ubermovement.com/local-regulations/

Best of luck to all.

Edit: not able to post the website for the local regulations for Reno Uber as I'm new. Gah. Someone give me a like so I can, please.

Edit2: updated with website link

Last edited:

TrueBlue

hey all, drove Fri night for about 2 hours just to get a feel for the whole thing, not bad at all. Looked like their was a nice surge Sat as well, but stayed at home with the family for Halloween. I am still surprised how many people dont know UBER is in Reno, Carson, etc... trying to spread the world as much as possible. Im curious though are we allowed to pick up or drop off at RNO? Also how are days in the Reno area for everyone. They seem slow, but reno is a small market as if now. Curious what others are seeing.

rooker

Getanzt and TrueBlue, congrats on the TNC stickers... what was the process to get them sent to you? Inspection and then an e-mail message to the Uber people, or...? And in a related note, getanzt expressed concern about insurance carriers dropping Uber drivers... this may be the case for some carriers, but I'm a sales agent for an office here in Reno and that isn't our policy... with our policies, it's just important to know that your personal auto insurance essentially 'clicks off' during the time that you are driving for Uber...

rusnnja

Still not able to post that link :frown: I need more than 1 like I guess :frown:
I just e-mailed the support and they said they will send the TNC sticker, however, they are being given out at the inspection location at the Jiffy Lube. I have yet to report to my insurance about Uber, I'm not driving yet anyway, I'm not sure how driving for Uber should really matter. Sure you are out on the road more often so there is more likely-hood of being in an accident, but if you have a good driving history record, I don't see why that should be a problem, considering that most likely you have already paid quite a bit for insurance that you have never really used anyway.

Kenja

rusnnja,
have you gotten your sticker yet??? Im not support said they sent the sticker out over a week ago. I got my inspection done on monday at tires plus and paid because I wanted to start working. I Know jiffy lube does it free thursday ~ sat. After getting it done. I sent the picture of the report and was told my sticker will be in the mail. While i was waiting I got replies from my previous email from other members and they said I can start driving even though I dont have sticker yet. Another rep told me. I have to go to jiffy lube to get the inspection done again in order to get my sticker. I complained and asked why? It dont make sense. If i paid already, why would I have to go through the whole process again. They said dont know but you have to. My big mistake. respoinding to every email. because I got different answers and nothing has been resolved. It doesnt make sense. I been trying to drive for the last week and im not going anywhere. I updated my licensce via chat as well as email amd it still shows my CA. Licencse. My number changed and it goes back to my old number. This is frustrating. I spent my entire night last night trying todrive and get my application on my phone to work and it never worked. Suggestions? sorry for the typos. I just dont understand why this is so complicated.

Bauberon

Hey all! I have a Facebook page -Northern Nevada Uber Drivers. A place we can all share experiences and team up on this area. I have strategic ideas and other business related ideas that need your participation if you are a Reno uber driver. We need to be able to share everything we can so go sign up!