• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Inspection

CompKing

Thank god Uber got some new companies on board to do inspections. Getting mine done tomorrow by InstaMek at my home.

The tire shops are overwhelmed with Winter tire changes, and are booking 2-4 weeks out. Canadian Tire by my place wanted $210 for the inspection.

Hell, the dealer I bought the brand new car from 1 month ago wanted $200. It should have passed when the car was delivered... No faith in their own product! lol

I'll update how the inspection goes. Shouldn't be an issue for a new car. Too bad Uber didn't recognize this and allow for an exception for the inspection requirements for a brand new vehicle. Been a total waste of time and money so far..

P.S. No enforcement yet here. 100+ trips. Fingers crossed.

UberYYC

I'm going for my inspection on Friday at Inspectacar, which is another company Uber recommend. They charge $35 and I was able to get in right away.

Tom Mash

I recently bought a car from a dealer and have their 120 day inspection sheet. That should be enough...right?

UberYYC

Did my inspection, took 15 minutes and would definitely recommend Inspectacar. However, I failed. My windshield has a crack over 3 inches which is a fail. I asked the inspector about this and he said he has been trying to get more detailed info on pass/fail criteria and has had no response. So, he then defaults to Alberta government vehicle inspection guidelines.

So, I sent in my form to Uber, with fail circled, as 1 fail means you fail the whole thing. Haven't hear anything back from uber yet. Pretty sure they will want me to replace windshield, but not sure if I will. That means I may just stop doing it., we'll see.

UberYYC

Also, inspector told me guy before me had the engine check light on and vehicle shudders when he drove it and he got a pass cause of the way the form is set up. I'm sure those things may affect his rating, lol.

CompKing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My inspection was easy with InstaMek. Very friendly fellow, and did it in no time at all. He called before arrival to confirm and was very prompt. I passed with flying colours since the vehicle is only just over a month old.

Now, does anyone know whether Winter Tires are going to be required? What about on full time 4-wheel drive vehicles? Ares there any exceptions?

Jibber

Blaskin & Lane was the first partner set up to do these inspections, and if you were lucky enough to book an appointment right away, they will honour that price. However, upon passing my inspection today, I was told the current price for this inspection at their stores is $80.

Just an FYI.

eireking

So this time last year I got an inspection, forget the name of the outfit but noticed that Canadian tire and tire kings are the only listed inspection facilities on the uber web page. I wasn’t sure what exactly was involved with the inspection last year, so took the car and figured they’d let me know what issues needed addressing, which they did, I did the necessary work, took the car back and it was all done and dusted. When I saw the same outfit was no longer listed I took it to Canadian tire by McKenzie town. I was sure the car would pass but discovered 2 little marker lights needed replacement, and for the princely sum of $87 Canadian tire would look after that, well no thanks I told them $6 for the bulbs alone and I would change them myself. So drove all the way down to the store when they told me if I took the car they would have to fail it and I would have to pay $40 for them to re inspect it(check that I put the bulbs in correctly ). This felt very much like money gouging by Canadian tire, and I was quite irate, so I took the car changed the bulbs, was on my way back to get the car rechecked, when I called them to let them know I was en route, I was told not to bother they wouldn’t look at it till Monday. So annoyed. So basically if you are going to take your car to Canadian tire for your inspection, you better make damn sure it is beforehand, or you will just end up parting with more money. I personally have spent thousands of dollars at CT over the years and after I gift them the $40 on Monday I won’t be spending another dime in that store.

Lolinator

Thank god Uber got some new companies on board to do inspections. Getting mine done tomorrow by InstaMek at my home.

The tire shops are overwhelmed with Winter tire changes, and are booking 2-4 weeks out. Canadian Tire by my place wanted $210 for the inspection.

Hell, the dealer I bought the brand new car from 1 month ago wanted $200. It should have passed when the car was delivered... No faith in their own product! lol

I'll update how the inspection goes. Shouldn't be an issue for a new car. Too bad Uber didn't recognize this and allow for an exception for the inspection requirements for a brand new vehicle. Been a total waste of time and money so far..

P.S. No enforcement yet here. 100+ trips. Fingers crossed.
ontario charge is 80 plus hst