Infants and car seats

PsychoMiko

Earlier today I picked up from an office building in the Richardson/Garland border and once the trip started a woman told me she would be picking up her son from school on her direct route. I was slightly perturbed already about a stop, but figured it should be fairly quick as the end destination would have been justifiable for that particular time.

Ends up she was picking up from a day care facility and while it was a quick pick up, she brought an infant with her and obviously without a car seat. I had not been in this situation before, but quickly knew I could not continue the ride.

While I'll never regret my decision, because it was a simple one; I know a few drivers won't even bat an eye for the opportunity to make $10-$15 and jeopardize deactivation, fines, and court costs should anything happen.

Why would a parent not bring a car seat with them on a ride?

TexasSteeler

I've had that happen several times. Of course refused all such rides. Got a couple of ones for my trouble. Parent who would do that is ridiculous. Reported all but got the usual canned responses from the helpline morons.

andaas

Just FYI, but in Texas (and many states), child seat laws do not apply to vehicles for hire. However, this only removes legal liability from you, and not personal moral liability should something happen.

Here is an excerpt from the TxDPS website:
Are any passenger vehicles exempt from the child passenger safety law?
Yes – vehicles for hire: taxi cabs, limousines, hired shuttles, public transit buses and also passenger vehicles in which all seating positions equipped with safety seat systems and safety belts are occupied.

Mark Campagna

Maybe not. The last line says where all seats with safety systems are occupied.

What if you are carrying 1 adult and a child. In a 4 or 5 passenger vehicle with seatbelts for every seat, that would leave seats unoccupied which could leave you open for legal responsibility.

Moral as well.

TennesseeTrash

I don't believe Uber qualifies as vehicles for hire as does a taxi (but could be wrong). None the same I refuse all such requests and keep a copy of the Texas code in the car if the moron parents want to argue. Most come from other countries where no such laws exist.

Uberbrent

Picked up in Starwood in Frisco last week. 4 adults 3 children under 3. When they walked out of the house I asked where are the car seats (didn't even get to the fact of 7 passengers). They asked why they needed them and I told them it was state law . One lady said "well we're from California". I told her that she is currently in Texas. They then said what will we do with the car seats when we get to the destination. I told them I have no idea, but I won't take them without car seats. They then decided to cancel and call another Uber. I tried to explain to them that the next Uber driver will probably have the same issue and drove off. I reported them and Uber's response was I will not be paired with them in the future. Fix the issue Uber...

dirtylee

Just FYI, but in Texas (and many states), child seat laws do not apply to vehicles for hire. However, this only removes legal liability from you, and not personal moral liability should something happen.

You say that like it will keep you from getting sued & losing a judgement.

Mikek999

And how does that cop on the side of the road know you are an Uber?

WeDreams

I had this lady back in March put her little ninja in my car while she went back into the house for a long time. I made eye contact with the little creature it was not plseant. She finally came back out but I was seriously considering taking it to Mexico with me.

TennesseeTrash

Ok, I did have one good experience. Pinged by an Indian family and upon arrival had an infant. I was ready with my car-seat-its-the-law story and after I started the dad went back in and got a car seat and installed it in my Expy. After I dropped them off at Ikea thanked them for being so understanding and complying (it was a first). As luck would have it picked them up later in the day to take them back home. They had taken the car seat around with them in Ikea all afternoon. I don't expect that to happen again.

On a side note asked Uber about the car seat service coming to Dallas. I was told no time soon. They should add two reasons for cancellations (I always use fraudulent rider): Under Age, and No Car Seat. Maybe (I doubt it) they'd get the idea.

Bpr2

Picked up in Starwood in Frisco last week. 4 adults 3 children under 3. When they walked out of the house I asked where are the car seats (didn't even get to the fact of 7 passengers). They asked why they needed them and I told them it was state law . One lady said "well we're from California". I told her that she is currently in Texas. They then said what will we do with the car seats when we get to the destination. I told them I have no idea, but I won't take them without car seats. They then decided to cancel and call another Uber. I tried to explain to them that the next Uber driver will probably have the same issue and drove off. I reported them and Uber's response was I will not be paired with them in the future. Fix the issue Uber...
Sorry to hear that my fellow Californians gave you a hard time. Funny though, it's the same law in California too. They were just being paxholes

Cary Grant

My attorney said don't do it, no matter what the law says.

As a rule, I tell them I cannot accommodate them without a car seat. If they don't cancel, I wait five, then cancel. I don't care if they get angry, either. I doubt many of them are ignorant of this issue, they KNOW it's not kosher, but don't care -- until there's an accident, and at trial, they WILL blame the driver for allowing them to ride without a car seat.

I write them up, every single time, too. I don't cancel on people just willy nilly. If I have a valid reason, it goes on the record.

Ezridax

Well, I’m not a taxi, bus, shuttle, or limo, and most of the time, it is just one parent and one child who should be in a car seat, so this exemption does not apply morally or legally. They can do the responsible thing and get a car seat or they can walk.

andaas

But you *are* a vehicle for hire.

As I said, this removes potential LEGAL liability, but does not make it safe/OK/right.

I stopped driving people ages ago, so this doesn't apply to me anyway. Just sharing information.

Monkchoi

I had this lady back in March put her little ninja in my car while she went back into the house for a long time. I made eye contact with the little creature it was not plseant. She finally came back out but I was seriously considering taking it to Mexico with me.
Wtf

Mikek999

Sell them to the gypsies they pay much more... small hands equals highly specialized work in metal factories.