• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Indy #freshmeat

Uber_Indy

Hey,

So I've just signed up for both UBER and LYFT. Hoping to pull a reasonable part time income with these gigs. My mentor at lyft said he's making 60k a year working 40 hours a week. I hope to get half as much.

Question:
Do the Uber and Lyft navigation systems work very well?

Any good apps?

Thanks for your input.

Hopefull in Indy,

cybertec69

Hey,

So I've just signed up for both UBER and LYFT. Hoping to pull a reasonable part time income with these gigs. My mentor at lyft said he's making 60k a year working 40 hours a week. I hope to get half as much.

Question:
Do the Uber and Lyft navigation systems work very well?

Any good apps?

Thanks for your input.

Hopefull in Indy,
Your mentor is full of fud.

renbutler

Good luck. (I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.)

Downtown has been pretty busy the few times I've driven there.

The airport is always a disappointment, though. Too many Uber cars waiting for fares. I've dropped off there several times, but never come back with a passenger.

Uber_Indy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good luck. (I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.)

Downtown has been pretty busy the few times I've driven there. The airport is always a disappointment, though. Too many Uber cars waiting for fares.
Thanks Man. This is only a part time income thing for me. I live by the airport and since lyft don't require me to be in the limo lot to get pings I hope to get one into the city in the am. Pull some hours here and there mostly in the evenings and on the weekends. From my past experiences I think I can make this work since it's not my only line of income. In fact it's a great tax break.

How long have you been driving? Do you offer free waters or water for $1 or anything to bump up the $ when the tips are lacking?

cybertec69

Thanks Man. This is only a part time income thing for me. I live by the airport and since lyft don't require me to be in the limo lot to get pings I hope to get one into the city in the am. Pull some hours here and there mostly in the evenings and on the weekends. From my past experiences I think I can make this work since it's not my only line of income. In fact it's a great tax break.

How long have you been driving? Do you offer free waters or water for $1 or anything to bump up the $ when the tips are lacking?
I suggest you do a bit more reading on these forums, free water, LOL. You will learn soon enough the truth about this business, don't say you were not warned, at the end of the day you will have a car that will end up in the shitter with nothing to show for it. And don't believe anything these people at Lyft or Uber tell you, they will tell you anything to get you and your car on the road for their own gain.

Uber_Indy

I suggest you do a bit more reading on these forums, free water, LOL. You will learn soon enough the truth about this business, don't say you were not warned, at the end of the day you will have a car that will end up in the shitter with nothing to show for it. And don't believe anything these people at Lyft or Uber tell you, they will tell you anything to get you and your car on the road for their own gain.
Ok well I'm all ears. Seems you're a bit bitter. Driving in NYC? I bet that sucks!

Besides the over saturation, and low mileage pay what other complaints could there be?

cybertec69

Ok well I'm all ears. Seems you're a bit bitter. Driving in NYC? I bet that sucks!

Besides the over saturation, and low mileage pay what other complaints could there be?
Then what are you really working for, at the end of the day it's the pay, so what are you implying, do you really think you will earn 60K driving with Lyft or Uber in your neck of the woods with the hours that where mentioned, heck here in nyc with the demand you will never in a million years make that, unless of course you sleep in your car, and that would be GROSS earnings "before your expenses and your car going to the shitter", as a Taxi driver you are self employed, which means you will have to purchase your own health insurance and pay for all your business expenses, no sick days and no vacation days "when you take off, it costs you double" , 1099 at the end of the year. Good luck.

Uber_Indy

Then what are you really working for, at the end of the day it's the pay, so what are you implying, do you really think you will earn 60K driving with Lyft or Uber in your neck of the woods with the hours that where mentioned, heck here in nyc with the demand you will never in a million years make that, unless of course you sleep in your car, and that would be GROSS earnings "before your expenses and your car going to the shitter", as a Taxi driver you are self employed, which means got will have to purchase your own health insurance and pay for all your business expenses, 1099 at the end of the year. Good luck.
Yawn. I run two other businesses so this is nothing new. Sounds to me like you want to scare people away from this business as you have not provided one reason to not be a driver. Other than a bunch of bitter bs. Find a new thread to piss on son.

poopy

My other complaint is the water isn't cold enough in the summer!
Some of these drivers need to step it up and buy coolers... and not the cheap kind that need ice. I don't want a wet bottle messing up my culottes.
The type that's plugged into a power point outlet... and it needs to be a quiet cooler.
I need to hear my Spotify.

As for your Lyft mentor -- IF he was being truthful about that $60,000 a year...
donuts to dollars at least $20,000 of it is from the $35 mentoring fee.

As ct69 suggested, read the crap out of the forums before you dive into the deep end of an empty pool.

Good luck

cybertec69

Yawn. I run two other businesses so this is nothing new. Sounds to me like you want to scare people away from this business as you have not provided one reason to not be a driver. Other than a bunch of bitter bs. Find a new thread to piss on son.
No one here is trying to scare anyone away, just trying to give you some logical advice, to each his own, don't say you weren't warned, there is a reason the turnover for drivers is 3-6 months. Go ahead, go trash your car and ways your time, it's your life, not mine. Good luck.

Uber_Indy

As ct69 suggested, read the crap out of the forums before you dive into the deep end of an empty pool.

Good luck
I'm quite excellent at customer service and I enjoy working with people. I don't think you understand my skill set.

Again other than the over saturation and low milage pay what other down sides are there?

Also if you read my post I found the 60k hard to believe also. However I do plan on turning about $300 a week in my part time.

I know my city, I know the events, and I know how to work.

cybertec69

I'm quite excellent at customer service and I enjoy working with people. I don't think you understand my skill set.

Again other than the over saturation and low milage pay what other down sides are there?

Also if you read my post I found the 60k hard to believe also. However I do plan on turning about $300 a week in my part time.

I know my city, I know the events, and I know how to work.
$300 gross part time =maybe.
Also this is not a customer service job, as you will soon learn.

renbutler

I've been driving Uber a little more than a month, to keep a little cash going between more permanent jobs.

I started offering water, but nobody ever wanted it, so I stopped. I still have a 4.9 rating anyway. I think being a good and personable driver in a clean car is the real key.

Most of my business starts in Carmel/Fishers/Castleton/Geist. I get tips a little less than 10% of the time. It's important to keep expenses as low as possible and greatly limit dead miles.

renbutler

There are some things to learn here, but don't let out-of-market drivers tell you how it's going to be here. Most of them are sad sacks who know nothing about running their own business, and they blame everybody else for their failures.

renbutler

However I do plan on turning about $300 a week in my part time.
I made over $300 for the first time last week, and I'm not even working surges or peak times. I drive almost exclusively during the late morning and early afternoon, with some post-rush-hour evening hours too.

poopy

Well see,
that's why I said read the crap out of the forums.
There's about 68,999 downsides in a poorly paying market.
So many that I don't want to do a 200 page thesis on them.

I will list the upsides:
Flexibility and flexibility.

I never questioned your skillset.
The best skill to have to make decent $ in a low-rate market, would be expert counterfeiting.

If you need to scoff and state I'm just someone who wants to guard their golden egg, and send you on a wild goose chase, OK.

Good luck

cybertec69

I made over $300 for the first time last week, and I'm not even working surges or peak times. I drive almost exclusively during the late morning and early afternoon, with some post-rush-hour evening hours too.
Is that $300 what uber deposited into your account, I am sure it is, and no I am not a sad sack, I have a brain between my ears, that I constantly use. And since I am not in your state, I could care less if you or anyone else drives, that goes the same in my state, to each his/her own. After 4000 plus trips I should know how this game works.