Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 303 Posts
Short trips are not desirable anymore.

after putting some thought into this, my first thoughts of it being a pay increase is wrong. yes on surge rides and minimum fair (if they keep minimum fair) is higher but on most other rides our pay stays the same. if anything it's a price decrease for passengers unless they change the mile or time multiplier for the driver.

I'm talking about a trip going a mile or two down the road. $10 flat pays more than 2.0

no, you're assuming there is no minimum price. but they dont mention minimum fairs. if the minimum is still going to be a hair over 6 bucks, the minimum driver rates will have to be 4.50+. it's definitely better than the 2.62

no, you're assuming there is no minimum price. but they dont mention minimum fairs. if the minimum is still going to be a hair over 6 bucks, the minimum driver rates will have to be 4.50+. it's definitely better than the 2.62
They will always have a base fare....
Short rides were king with the flat surge, that's no longer the case. You want decent trips of 15 miles (ideally 20+ miles) and up on a surge ride ride. With all the information being provide, it will be easy to get them unless they time you out for not accepting a ride.

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
It got moved because I suggested it as a featured thread. :smiles:
No, it's not National, only in California!

I suggest everyone read the FAQ section on the bottom of the Uber blog. There are a lot of interesting tidbits.

Bottom line? Everything they're changing is to make Uber actually look like a service to match drivers to riders, in response to AB-5. Every change matches one philosophy - It's a tech platform that takes a limited percentage of the overall fare. Extra benefits are all in the form of Uber taking a smaller percentage. It's all to justify the "We're a tech platform, not a transportation company" philosophy.

Personally, I like what I see, so far. But I've made that mistake before. I want to see how it actually works out after a month! Let's see how much overall earnings go up!!! I'm still optimistic though. Hopefully, general earnings go up and we will start seeing more surges in OC!

BTW, is OC posting multiplier surge yet or is it still on fixed amounts?

I'm talking about a trip going a mile or two down the road. $10 flat pays more than 2.0
oh you didnt clarify. you actually meant short trips with a sticky surge. of course they are worse. but long trips with surge will be much better again.

my response was about short trips with no surge. im just hoping the keep the same base price for pax.. which translates to an increase in driver pay. if they keep base pay for short trips.. it just means the passenger base price will drop..

now we will get more of riders saying "drive faster! im getting charged by the minute here mr uber driver!"

on a positive note, this whole thing should be great for the california uber driver
They can still limit the hours you can drive. Or not send you requests.
Remember you serve at the will of Dara

Companies like Uber need to regress back to their old ways. I wish they would roll out these sweet features countrywide. After 4 years and knowing my area I could be making a killing with these new features. If anything, 25% is still a bit too much. They should make it 20%. If they want to get paid more, they should charge the pax more instead of letting the driver take the hit.

I just opened my driver app and multiplier surge is already live, the little 1.2x warmed my heart. Also very curious to know if our minimum will go up based on the 25% cap. When I choose a minimum distance trip in my uber rider app right now it shows the price being like $8.60 still, meaning we should get $6.45, I guess it just depends on if that bullshit $2 "booking fee" still exists. I will update as soon as I complete a trip.

I just opened my driver app and multiplier surge is already live, the little 1.2x warmed my heart. Also very curious to know if our minimum will go up based on the 25% cap. When I choose a minimum distance trip in my uber rider app right now it shows the price being like $8.60 still, meaning we should get $6.45, I guess it just depends on if that bullshit $2 "booking fee" still exists. I will update as soon as I complete a trip.
awful for premium drivers who were using x, xl and select ride bonuses to tip themselves... Smh.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Very good question. I did see, buried in their FAQ on the blog page:
  • What happened to the Booking Fee, and why isn't it on my trip receipt?
    Until January 2020 in California, the Booking Fee was a flat fee charged to the rider on your behalf that Uber collected from you. As of January 2020, Uber charges a separate fee (called the Marketplace Fee) to riders directly, to connect parties within the marketplace. This fee is separate from the trip fare or any other rider payment to the driver, and does not impact the amount you take home on each trip.
This is another step in their philosophy to look/behave like a tech company and not a transportation company. They're charging both parties now. The rider pays the "Marketplace Fee" and the driver pays a percentage. This is more in line with a "matchmaker" app. (Just observation/opinion, not an endorsement or opposition.)

21 - 40 of 303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.