In California ONLY, Uber caps UberX cut at 25%. Multiplier surge is back! No rate cut! I must be seeing things!

Nats121

So people would use it at night big deal and there are people who have part time jobs in the evening eh
The bedrock core and by far the most important part of the rideshare business is the Mon-Fri commute, which is dominated by full timers.

Full timers are the reason there's an AB5 and NYC.

If Uber was just the little "side gig" they pretend to be, there'd never be an AB5.

In fact, Uber's fear of laws such as AB5 is the reason they've been trying so hard to convince the public and the govt into believing rideshare is strictly a part time job.

It's one of Uber's biggest lies.

RideshareDog

The bedrock core and by far the most important part of the rideshare business is the Mon-Fri commute, which is dominated by full timers.

Full timers are the reason there's an AB5 and NYC.

If Uber was just the little "side gig" they pretend to be, there'd never be an AB5.

In fact, Uber's fear of laws such as AB5 is the reason they've been trying so hard to convince the public and the govt into believing rideshare is strictly a part time job.

It's one of Uber's biggest lies.
No shit ab5 is for and by full timers. Who else wants win wage and benefits at the cost of going online whenever we want. What you people don't get is if your classified as an employee that will mean short shifts just like skip. I don't know about your market but in mine it's hard to get a skip shift. Your going to make min wage all right but what you end up at the end of the day will be a lot less than what your earning now.
Post automatically merged:

This will be Uber if ab4 takes affect. You fools don't get that.
Screenshot_20200109-201832_Courier.jpg

WAHN

This will be Uber if ab4 takes affect. You fools don't get that.
Any bad that may come due to AB5 is all on Uber/Lyft.

Overhiring and paycuts brought all this on, so place blame where it belongs.

I'll survive no matter what. There's almost always an opportunity somewhere if you really want to find it.

It will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Nats121

No shit ab5 is for and by full timers. Who else wants win wage and benefits at the cost of going online whenever we want. What you people don't get is if your classified as an employee that will mean short shifts just like skip. I don't know about your market but in mine it's hard to get a skip shift. Your going to make min wage all right but what you end up at the end of the day will be a lot less than what your earning now.

This will be Uber if ab4 takes affect. You fools don't get that.View attachment 402112

This will be Uber if ab4 takes affect. You fools don't get that.View attachment 402112
There are zillions of full time drivers working 50-90 hours per week making less than minimum wage with zero job security and benefits whose situation will improve markedly with employee status.

The negatives of employee status are layoffs, reduced workhours, and schedules.

Part timers who aren't available for the Mon-Fri commute shifts would be the most expendable drivers.

If Uber's to have any chance of avoiding employee status for drivers, they're gonna have to make more concessions than what they've offered so far.

One of those concessions is an end to the unjust firings of drivers. This means some kind of genuine appeals process will have to be put in place where drivers accused of wrongdoing are given a legitimate opportunity to clear their names, including the use of dashcam footage.

Firing drivers because "Uber feels like it" will have to end.

The ratings system needs major reform as well.

NASCAR3

really? Most articles I've seen say over 80% of RS drivers are online 20 or less hours per week. So 20% are a bedrock? Perhaps opposite is true; if not for pt RS wouldn't exist.

Nats121

Try to focus on what I wrote.

I said the bedrock core of the rideshare business itself is the Mon-Fri commute shift, and that's a fact. Even Uber will admit that.

I also said that shift is dominated by full timers, and that's a fact as well.

Put those two points together and you'll see that full timers are vital to Uber's survival.

One of Travis' goals was to replace public transit with rideshare. Just like rideshare, the Mon-Fri commute it by far the most important function of public transit.

NASCAR3

I also said that shift is dominated by full timers
oh, ok. I concentrated and you doubled down. Full timers might represent 20%; and that is high based on the readings I've done. Even Uber in their never ending emails has stated vast majority of drivers are online 20 or less hours per week. maybe you need to explain just what percent = bedrock?
Just my experience from August it would seem weekends and nights are a bulk of riders vs those who have, you know, a job would also have their own car. Just saying, imho.

RideshareDog

Your egos are way to huge. You think the system would fall apart without you? There are tons of desperate ants if they were maxed at 4 hours would still do rush hours. Your not essential. You choose to work more than 4. It's not needed that you do

You should see all the Uber drivers signing up everyday in Toronto.

Nats121

Your egos are way to huge. You think the system would fall apart without you? There are tons of desperate ants if they were maxed at 4 hours would still do rush hours. Your not essential. You choose to work more than 4. It's not needed that you do

You should see all the Uber drivers signing up everyday in Toronto.
Brush up on your reading comprhension skills, because no one here said they were irreplaceable.

In fact, on many occasions I've said just the opposite, that thanks to Uncle Sam's immigration policy, Uber continues to be supplied with a virtually limitless supply of Third World replacement drivers signing up 24/7.

You're flatout wrong about the 4 hours. Most rush hour ants are full timers who depend on this job as their primary source of income.

oh, ok. I concentrated and you doubled down. Full timers might represent 20%; and that is high based on the readings I've done. Even Uber in their never ending emails has stated vast majority of drivers are online 20 or less hours per week. maybe you need to explain just what percent = bedrock?
Just my experience from August it would seem weekends and nights are a bulk of riders vs those who have, you know, a job would also have their own car. Just saying, imho.
I pointed out in my other post that Uber's fear of employee status has been so strong that they've gone out of their way to downplay their dependence on full time drivers.

They correctly assumed that the govt wouldn't crack down on the exploitation of the drivers if rideshare was just a little "side gig" to pay for toys, vacations, and beer money.

The driver protests were a wakeup call to the govt. They discovered that Uber's been misleading them about the importance of full time drivers to this business and they finally started to crack down. The results are AB5 and NYC.

Last edited:

WAHN

You've probably heard the expression "Lies, damn lies, and statistics".

Statistics can often be twisted to fit an agenda.

Does Uber ever give a complete breakdown on those averages? I don't think I've seen it.

You could have 20 full time drivers doing 50 hour weeks and 80 drivers just working the Fri-Sat bar crowds from 9p - 3a.

The full timers are covering 1000 hours and the part timers are covering 960 hours. 20% of the workforce handling over 50% of the load.

Both serve a purpose and are important to the platform. Both are necessary to Uber for survival.

Your opinion that weekends and nights are the bulk of riders is a bit short-sighted and narrow. It might seem that way when you're working the crowded hot spots. Everybody's in the only locations that are open.

Meanwhile, in the day, people need rides to work, the airport/train/bus, the mall, the doctor, the mechanic to pick up their vehicle, college students, etc. It's not all concentrated on a few hotspots like night time.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how many rides are given at what time of day.

Rigger88

Uber announced today that the Uber cut on X rides will be capped at 25%. (Fine print says 28% on some higher classes)

When you drive with Uber, your earnings come from riders. From these earnings, you pay a Service Fee to Uber for using our technology platform. We’re now capping that fee at 25% of the trip fare on UberX trips.*

*A 28% Service Fee will apply to all UberXL, Comfort, SUV, and Lux trips. The Service Fee on UberPool trips is based on factors such as whether you match with additional passengers and how much time on route is shared between passengers.
**The Service Fee may be reduced by promotions earned, either alone or in combination, but the Service Fee will never be less than 1% of the trip fare.

Other changes coming too, like going back to multiplier surge instead of Charlotte surge. Sounds good at first glance, but it makes me wonder what else is coming. Could a price cut be in the wings? If they're going to go back to multiplier surge and a cap at 25%/28%, I have to believe that they realize that they can't lower rates because it will hurt them as much as drivers! Maybe a rate increase is on the way??? I know, it's wishful thinking, but you never know!

Interesting tidbit. Nowhere in the announcement did they mention Select. Another sign that it's about to be killed off???? 🤔
Is anyone gets a Select ride, let us know how it's affected, please?????

This news is in the app messages and in an email sent directly from Uber!
And I guess screw the rest of us drivers in the other 49. Well I guess I'm pretty used to be screwed for being an ohioan, like when I was paid just 20k for losing a toe at work, Ohio great toes are worth far less than an Oregon great toe which is worth 80k. Go figure.

Diamondraider

There are zillions of full time drivers working 50-90 hours per week making less than minimum wage with zero job security and benefits whose situation will improve markedly with employee status.

The negatives of employee status are layoffs, reduced workhours, and schedules.

Part timers who aren't available for the Mon-Fri commute shifts would be the most expendable drivers.

If Uber's to have any chance of avoiding employee status for drivers, they're gonna have to make more concessions than what they've offered so far.

One of those concessions is an end to the unjust firings of drivers. This means some kind of genuine appeals process will have to be put in place where drivers accused of wrongdoing are given a legitimate opportunity to clear their names, including the use of dashcam footage.

Firing drivers because "Uber feels like it" will have to end.

The ratings system needs major reform as well.
Uber will not hire full time drivers. They will strategize to keep the work force under their federal threshold for full time work.

really? Most articles I've seen say over 80% of RS drivers are online 20 or less hours per week. So 20% are a bedrock? Perhaps opposite is true; if not for pt RS wouldn't exist.
Food for thought
1. Uber is playing the long game marketing itself as needing/employing part-timers. Full timer benefits and/or attention from the unions make this a smart position.
2. For many drivers, 20 hours online is more than 30 on the clock (commute, deadhead, reposition, breaks, maintenance, etc)

Last edited:
Look like riders will now be charged for the ride instead of a fixed rate anymore and losing some benefits.

View attachment 398744
View attachment 398745
View attachment 398746
Hey!! No Fair!!we don't get Favourite Rider / Driver up here in Toronto (TO).

Nor do we have Comfort; do have (had) Select [don't know downsized fro, ,id-size SUV to EV Leaf!!]

In TO, we've had multiplier Surge (eg . 1.4, 1.6 ...2.3!!) since Day #1: BUT I did notice a +$1 flash over weekend ....

Anybody had problems App-loading ?? - like incomplete screen showing, or value / points display sticking on . Quest details ??

Chocoholic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey!! No Fair!!we don't get Favourite Rider / Driver up here in Toronto (TO).

Nor do we have Comfort; do have (had) Select [don't know downsized fro, ,id-size SUV to EV Leaf!!]

In TO, we've had multiplier Surge (eg . 1.4, 1.6 ...2.3!!) since Day #1: BUT I did notice a +$1 flash over weekend ....

Anybody had problems App-loading ?? - like incomplete screen showing, or value / points display sticking on . Quest details ??
Jury is still out on a lot of that. You may be better off.
Yes, in many parts of CA (not all), we have Comfort and Select, although it looks like they're trying to kill off select. We went from multiplier surge to Charlotte surge (a fixed amount added to the ride) and back to multiplier. It's just soooooooooo much fun!

As for the app problems, I'll bet you're on an Apple phone. Since iOS 13 came out, Apple has had some serious issues with apps and onscreen behavior issues. Mostly, in the Uber app, I've seen these issues: The video will stop updating, controls stop working, parts of the screen fail to load (especially parts of the box at the top where next turn directions are supposed to be), the route may appear but the map won't be drawn, or vice versa, etc. In short, parts of the screen will "paint" but other parts won't.

Also, after accepting a ride, the app will lock up and you can't switch from full map to turn by turn mode.

Here's another recent winner! Cash out to your debit card? It posts the "Great! The money is on it's way!" screen. Then, you go to click on "Done" and find that the app is frozen.

It's a two-pronged issue. Apple knows internally that since iOS13, which had a lot of updates and changes, a lot of apps have video issues. However, a lot of developers are still using old toolkits and software packages to compile their apps instead of those that are compatible with iOS13, and that's causing problems.

Interesing note: Lots of issues with Uber app, almost none with Lyft's app! Hmmm.... 🤔

Trafficat

One question: So the sticky surges are gone? Back to that bullshit of having to be on the surge area to get the multiplier? I liked to be able to carry it with me.
As long as acceptance rate doesn't matter, the old system was better. Just be in the area and reject the non-surge rides and you'll get them. I got more surge rides before sticky surge because the stickies always appear in strange areas to spread drivers out, and then you had to drive to the busy area after picking up the sticky. But the real surge happened to the actual rider so the real surge would often be accompanied by real rides.