In California ONLY, Uber caps UberX cut at 25%. Multiplier surge is back! No rate cut! I must be seeing things!

Chocoholic

Uber announced today that the Uber cut on X rides will be capped at 25%. (Fine print says 28% on some higher classes)

When you drive with Uber, your earnings come from riders. From these earnings, you pay a Service Fee to Uber for using our technology platform. We’re now capping that fee at 25% of the trip fare on UberX trips.*

*A 28% Service Fee will apply to all UberXL, Comfort, SUV, and Lux trips. The Service Fee on UberPool trips is based on factors such as whether you match with additional passengers and how much time on route is shared between passengers.
**The Service Fee may be reduced by promotions earned, either alone or in combination, but the Service Fee will never be less than 1% of the trip fare.

Other changes coming too, like going back to multiplier surge instead of Charlotte surge. Sounds good at first glance, but it makes me wonder what else is coming. Could a price cut be in the wings? If they're going to go back to multiplier surge and a cap at 25%/28%, I have to believe that they realize that they can't lower rates because it will hurt them as much as drivers! Maybe a rate increase is on the way??? I know, it's wishful thinking, but you never know!

Interesting tidbit. Nowhere in the announcement did they mention Select. Another sign that it's about to be killed off???? 🤔
Is anyone gets a Select ride, let us know how it's affected, please?????

This news is in the app messages and in an email sent directly from Uber!

Last edited:

TobiasBruckner

No one in California can make Uber go negative anymore, apparently, as the fine print says their “service fee” will never be less than 1%.

Although they can still lose a lot of money on any particular ride.
We might still see them negative cus of their rider promos, but you’re right.

mrsiruber

The email says that time and distance rates have not changed. Combine this with drivers on Uber X being guaranteed 75%. Wouldn’t that create a problem for up front pricing for riders? If a driver takes a trip to LAX that involves less miles than Uber estimated with up front price, driver still gets time and distance, so will Uber give money back to the rider, since Uber service fee is capped at 25%? How long would they be willing to give money back to rider? If they were smart they would get rid of time and miles and just give drivers 75% of what rider pays. This would end long hauling and allow drivers to take most efficient route.

ea30

The email says that time and distance rates have not changed. Combine this with drivers on Uber X being guaranteed 75%. Wouldn’t that create a problem for up front pricing for riders? If a driver takes a trip to LAX that involves less miles than Uber estimated with up front price, driver still gets time and distance, so will Uber give money back to the rider, since Uber service fee is capped at 25%?
There won’t be upfront pricing. Your route will determine their price. Fun fun fun.

nerdynerd

after putting some thought into this, my first thoughts of it being a pay increase is wrong. yes on surge rides and minimum fair (if they keep minimum fair) is higher but on most other rides our pay stays the same. if anything it's a price decrease for passengers unless they change the mile or time multiplier for the driver.