• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

In an accident - any advice on renting a car for Uber while i wait for repairs?

kmex

happy new year, fellas.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

A few nights ago, I was rear ended while sitting at a red light and car is nit driveable. I was not using that car for Uber purposes at that time, but I will feel the sting of the additional income that Uber was providing.
Since car will not be ready for another 2-3 weeks, I man looking to rent a car for the express purpose of driving Uber. After having done research, I have settled on renting a vehicle from Hertz.

Does anyone out there have any experience/advice in this arena? Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great new year!

LoveTheBlues

https://www.uber.com/drive/vehicle-solutions/
I have never used fair or hertz for Uber. But you have to use one of Uber's authorized rentals to get it approved (or find someone willing to set you up on a car they already has set up with Uber). They are on Craiglist but since it isn't totally kosher, buyer beware. What I have seen posted is that Hertz is doable if you're full time otherwise the rental charges will kill you. It might prove an option for a couple weeks.

chitownXdriver

Don't go through Hertz, there are private vendors that rent out cars for Uber/Lyft for between $180-220 if you can find one, everything except gas is included.

dachix2017

I used Hertz before.
1. You can book online thru uber webpage. It will give u the availability. If not available at the closest one you can choose other Hertz sites and make reservation.
2. Longest rental period will be 4 weeks. No longer than that.
3. Hertz covers everything and has insurance on that.
4. A deposit will be charged - I think u have to use a credit card but not sure. no credit check.
5. Weekly charge at 214 for me. Some other fees applied make the rate goes up to 240ish.
6. Once have the car u have to drive to a uber location to print out an emblem so plan your trip accordingly.
7. ONLY U can drive the car. No one else.
8. Once I started drive, the 2nd week uber offered a duplicate bonus at 210 for 105 trips- and I had the same old bonus at the same time. to cover the rental expenses I guess. But it came without notification so may not apply to everyone.

radikia

Don't go through Hertz, there are private vendors that rent out cars for Uber/Lyft for between $180-220 if you can find one, everything except gas is included.
You think maybe FUBAR or Lyft have agreements with all the major car rental companies and they're getting a kick-back ?

Tweetyyy

I did Uber/Hertz Rental for 4 months.
1. You need a credit card or Bank debit card.
2. A refundable deposit $200 and first weeks rental $250.
3. Reserve car online at hertz. Check locations available thru app or you can reserve rental thru app
3. Bring ID
4. Some Hub places can print emblem medallion, they will also supply uber decal stickers.
5. Even thou they check car and says its uber ready. From my experience you should also double check and make sure you have the basic safety items to drive. E.g.. Spare tire, tired replacement kit, check brakes, air conditioner, heater, blades, etc.
6. You have to renew weekly best to renew 1 day before week is up. Pls note they will take $250 on the day you renew.
7. Three rental is going to hit you for $750. Rental is better for full time drivers....just an heads up..

Tweetyyy

3. Reserve car online at hertz. Check locations available thru app or you can reserve rental thru app
3. Bring ID
4. Some Hub places can print emblem medallion, they will also supply uber decal stickers.
5. Even thou they check car and says its uber ready. From my experience you should also double check and make sure you have the basic safety items to drive. E.g.. Spare tire, tired replacement kit, check brakes, air conditioner, heater, blades, etc.
6. You have to renew weekly best to renew 1 day before week is up. Pls note they will take $250 on the day you renew.
7. Three rental is going to hit you for $750. Rental is better for full time drivers....just an heads up..
....when.you use ur own car your set up has to be correct AND the SET UP should be AS A BUSINESS OR DBA...Example. Registration of car should be in business name not ur personal name reason ..you have more options to write off in a register business name slash EIN number than your person name slash social security number. If Rental car involve in accident then you can get another rental car the next day therefore you can continue to work. But if personal car is involve in accident and if you only have one car then you will have a delay in making money. Becuz know you are waiting thru a process with insurance companies......there are breakdowns that will provide you with more writes OFFS as a business as oppose to what I call our DOG TAG NUMBER...or SS#..examples...new car 3 years depreciation write off under DBA, new tires, mileage, tune up, oil changes, and much more.....old car under SS#..will have some write offs but not as much as a DBA...INFO IS ONLINE TOO MUCH TO OUTLINE ON POST....KEEP IN MIND ITS UR RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP ur CAR MAINTENANCE.. HOWever with the Rental car you paying to Hertz ...it will be hertz responsibility to keep rental car uber ready and safe to drive. The liability switches from you to the Uber/Hertz Program..therefore you are paying them a service hence that rental cost you pay them is a full write off. Now you have limited wear and tear on your personal car and a complete write off on using somebody else's car...

3. Bring ID