Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

importance of having pepper spray

4K views 78 replies 27 participants last post by  Monkeyman4394 
#1 ·
Yesterday at a drive thought .
A homeless person was walking towards my car.
I yell at them stop DO NOT COME TO MY CAR !
This person heard me and kept coming .
I yelled get the f away from my car ! I will spray you to the ground !
This homeless person did not listen .
The idiot put there hands on me and tried to unlock my car !!!!! To pull me out !
This is in a good area not the ghetto. Well the guy did the pepper pepper spray challenge . One nice heavy blast in the face. one more when he starting to come back again . About 3 seconds later he falls to the ground screaming.
Me i call 911 ask them if they want to send a cop for a follow up report. I said if im concerned this situation is resolved .
No police or ems was sent Zero need for a idiot .
I did get the food for my delivery and went to the next .
He was laying there the entire time i was in the drive through line about 5 minutes . I told the workers what happened and the police are not coming im not pressing charges for him touching me and trying to pull me out of the car . Just leave that guy alone hes enjoying the pepper spray challenge .
This spray takes about 45 minutes to wear off .
With out the spray we would be going hand to hand and i do not enjoy hurting anybody so he should thank who ever he only got the spray.
Disclaimer the police were call i followed there advice it was self defense . Police said if i did not want to press charges they did not need to come out. Or to stop the bullshit now . I will say this is a fictional story .

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Pepper spray is about the only legal defense you have in some states like NY. Even using a flashlight that doubles as a defensive weapon can get you an assault charge in NY.

Pepper spray is good especially like you used it, outside of the car. If you discharge it in your car at a pax then you better get out of the car and your car is rendered unusable for several hours. For that reason, the gel might work better for you in the car but even still you will get the effects in tight quarters. Although not ideal, it's the only thing you legally can use in some states so I agree with you.

Even better but not legal to discharge at a human in all states is bear spray. If it can take down a bear then imagine a person! I give both my daughters bear spray to keep with them.

#6 · (Edited)
Pepper spray is about the only legal defense you have in some states like NY. Even using a flashlight that doubles as a defensive weapon will get you an assault charge in NY.

Pepper spray is good especially like you used it, outside of the car. If you discharge it in your car at a pax then you better get out of the car and your car is rendered unusable for several hours. For that reason, the gel might work better for you in the car but even still you will get the effects in tight quarters. Although not ideal, it's the only thing you legally can use in some states so I agree with you.

Even better but not legal to discharge at a human in all states is bear spray. If it can take down a bear then imagine a person! I give both my daughters bear spray to keep with them.
I have some bear spray, but I have pepper spray that is even stronger concentration than the bear spray. I have had both sprayed on me too.

#8 ·
The idiot put there hands on me and tried to unlock my car !!!!! To pull me out !
This is in a good area not the ghetto. Well the guy did the pepper pepper spray challenge . One nice heavy blast in the face. one more when he starting to come back again . About 3 seconds later he falls to the ground screaming.
Me i call 911 ask them if they want to send a cop for a follow up report. I said if im concerned this situation is resolved .
He was laying there the entire time i was in the drive through line about 5 minutes . I told the workers what happened and the police are not coming im not pressing charges for him touching me and trying to pull me out of the car . Just leave that guy alone hes enjoying the pepper spray challenge .
With out the spray we would be going hand to hand and i do not enjoy hurting anybody so he should thank who ever he only got the spray.
Disclaimer the police were call i followed there advice it was self defense . Police said if i did not want to press charges they did not need to come out. Or to stop the bullshit now . I will say this is a fictional story .
Never give eye contact and don't initiate a conversation with a possibly a deranged person... it gives them new ideas. Don't use F away terms to a homeless person , he has nothing to lose .

#15 ·
The idiot put there hands on me and tried to unlock my car !!!!!
Always enjoy the use of "idiot" near the misuse of "there". Of course it was ONE person so we can't go to "their".

How about "his"? Was it a dude? I'll just guess. Certainly don't want to spend more time on this.

Oh yeah; what takes longer, rolling up the window or digging out the pepper spray?

Everything is more dramatic with 5FIVE5 exclamation points.

#23 ·
Sitting at the window telling them the order .
Put the window up cant tell them who i am.
I wanted to freshen this spray up anyways . Last time i used it was 6 months ago on a dog .
Me being a x repo driver the window is not going up !
The way i figured it i was doing other people a favor.
I know i can easily handle this person hand to had if required.
What if your wife was at that drive through or your parents .
What if they could not drive off or put the window up. Or they were not noticing him walk up.
I put this guys dick in the dirt . Next time he tries to hurt somebody at a drive through he will have second thoughts .

#19 ·
On two separate occasions during my misspent youth, I got to experience this sort of joy.

The first time was a friend who'd just picked up a can of pepper spray after ejecting her husband from the house. She kept it to protect herself and her two daughters in a shady neighborhood. She and I were sitting around, getting drunk while the kids were spending the weekend with her husband. She was musing about what it would feel like to catch a load of that stuff on the mug. I told her we ought to find out ('92 or '92--long before Jackass). We went outside and I girded my loins, removed my glasses. She let it fly. Fire. Fire inside my face. Then I inhaled sharply and it was up my nose. It was also all over my tongue. I was trying to rub it out of my eyes, which just spread it around. I was running around her front yard, yelling, "Virginia! ****! Virginia!" Oh. Her name is Virginia. She drove me (both of us still drunk, but feeling pretty sobered up) to the hospital and explained what we'd done. On the entire trip, theres burning snot running out of my nose and, to a lesser degree, my eyes. I was also drooling and spitting because the pepper spray had me salivating like a lunatic and swallowing as agony. They introduced me to the eye-washing station, which felt amazing! What neither of knew was that her spray was loaded with a dye pack. I spent the next (nearly) two weeks looking like sexual assaulty smurf. The cops stopped me a few times walking to work, ran me for warrants, let me go, laughing at this level of stupidity.

Incident two: delivering pizzas about a year later, it had been dark for about an hour. I pull up to the house. Lights are on inside, but not outside. It's in the middle of a bad neighborhood. The house has a little farm plot right next to it. I'm walking up to the door and I hear a voice from the side closest to the plot. Two teens (probably 12-14) are standing there. I'm annoyed and I sorta see where this is heading. The talker asks if I have change for $100. "Come on, man," I say. The one who isn't talking grabs the bag while the other reaches into his pocket. Pocket kid throws something in my face while I yank the bag back from the other kid. At the time, I was 6' and about 235. They gave up on the pizzas and run off across the farm plot. I start walking back to my car and there are two girls of about the same age. They're rummaging through the stuff in my back seat. They see things aren't going the way they expected and both take off after the boys. I get back to the store, eyes stinging a little. Walk in, head to the bathroom and start rinsing my face. Then the burning really starts. They tossed a pocketful of pepper on my face, but my glasses protected me from most of it. Now I've made it into a runny liquid. The manager comes into the bathroom. I guess I may have shrieked. She calls an ambulance and I get reacquainted with the eye-washing station. Pizza Hut footed the bill for that visit.

#71 ·
The cops also use Sabre Red so that's the brand I'd go with.

Pulling a weapon (even of the non-lethal variety) removes the option of a relatively peaceful resolution.
You use the weapon only after peaceful resolution is otherwise impossible. At that point, I believe in restoring peace through superior firepower.

The great thing about pepper spray is that you probably won't even have to involve the cops. And if you do have to, chances of being charged with something are relatively low. If you shoot the guy with a gun, it's going to be hard to avoid involving the cops and you're more likely to have to prove it was justifiable in court.

#25 ·
Pepper spray is about the only legal defense you have in some states like NY. Even using a flashlight that doubles as a defensive weapon can get you an assault charge in NY.

Anything can get you accused of assault. The question is, what happens if it goes to court. And can you afford the attorney fees for your defense. LOL

#26 ·
Exactly. However, in NY State the big question is do you get charged with Felony assault or Misdemeanor assault or a violation. In NY State Felony assault is define as hitting someone and causing "significant" injury. So if you hit someone and they break their jaw, crack their skull, etc.etc. that is a felony. In NY if you get convicted of Felony assault it is a MANDATORY 2 1/2 year minimum sentence, no discretion on the judges part.

I know a person that threw 1 punch defending his girlfriend from an ex husband who pushed her. Unfortunately the 1 punch broke the guys jaw and he ended up getting the Felony charge. $12,000 in legal fees later, it got reduced to a misdemeanor and plead to a violation. Expensive punch.

With a flashlight you could cause a "significant" injury and get charged. The system no longer seems to care if you were just defending yourself. Pepper spray is not going to get you charged with assault.

#30 ·
Thank god I live in a state that allows self defense.

I had one incident where I used what I determined to be a reasonable amount of force, namely I beat the dipshit with my clipboard until he fled. I ended up knocking a tooth out.

both of us filed police reports but mine came with camera footage for the cops.

the difference?

His accused me of felony assault with a deadly weapon and was proven false.

I accused him of assault and battery and was

He got charged I didn’t....

For the record my cop believed me as did the cop he talked to...

The most important weapon you can carry is the dash camera.

#31 ·
Thank god I live in a state that allows self defense.

I had one incident where I used what I determined to be a reasonable amount of force, namely I beat the dipshit with my clipboard until he fled. I ended up knocking a tooth out.

both of us filed police reports but mine came with camera footage for the cops.

the difference?

His accused me of felony assault with a deadly weapon and was proven false.

I accused him of assault and battery and was

He got charged I didn't....

For the record my cop believed me as did the cop he talked to...

The most important weapon you can carry is the dash camera.
It's very important not to leave without talking to police.

A few years back a young "gangbanger" and I had a little wrestling match in the middle of the street.

There were about a dozen witnesses so I knew someone had called the cops. I could see some people talking excitedly in to their phone and pointing in our direction.

After I let the other guy up off the ground and he limped off, I stayed put and waited then I explained exactly what happened to the cops.

They heard my version immediately and verified it with onlookers at the same time.

Never heard anything about it again.

#33 ·
At night, I was doing a pick up at Bart Station and saw 1 guy walking ahead. I rolled up to him and asked if hes waiting for an uber. The moment I opended my mouth noticed he was homeless and on some sort of narcotics/drunk. But i already started asking him and he said "hey want me to get in". He thought I was interested in him. I got scared and drove up a distance. Then saw him wobbling towards my car. Was like **** this, cancelled and left.

#40 ·
I will say this is a fictional story .
@kingcorey321 my buddy. I like your fictional story, but I don't carry spray or such protection. I feel like in the areas I drive in, if the pepper spray did not work right, they would probably shoot me dead! So I just stay mindful of my surroundings and carry little cash.

#47 ·
I've found that the bigger the talk, the faster they walk.

Most guys think that they can scare you with words alone but when it comes down to actually fighting they back off.
Agree. Not a doubt in my mind he was going to throw a punch inside the car, balled up his hand and was moving forward in the seat. Inside the car in the drivers seat you are very vulnerable. Outside it's a level playing field and the calculation

#48 ·
Pulling a weapon (even of the non-lethal variety) removes the option of a relatively peaceful resolution.
When I was trained to carry concealed, I remember the instructor saying: "Never draw a weapon to talk. Pointing a handgun at someone and giving them instructions doesn't work. The only reason for you to clear leather with a handgun is to shoot. The last thing that passes thru the mind of a perp should be 'oh shit, he has a ...', boom, over. When you point a gun at a fellow human the time for talk is over. Shoot. And fire till they lay down."

So, you're right ... drawing a weapon does not calm things down - unless you pull the trigger.

Reactions: Wolfgang Faust
#56 ·
I keep a bottle of Tabasco on hand. Very multi purpose, especially for the Tbell drive through. Just make sure it's not a brand new bottle when using for defense because it doesn't come out very well

#58 ·
Good on Eggs also.
Photograph Facial expression Cartoon Vertebrate Human
Cartoon Facial expression Vertebrate Mammal Organism

#63 ·
Actually I was thinking New York. We fly often, and I've taken the subway many times, but I've never had anyone refer it to Bart.

so what's Bart? Bart stations? Not in nyc but I'm not a local so I could be wrong.

Feel free to educate me, and maybe I'll buy you a round next time you're in TX (Rainey since you're a tourist, might even wrangle a few bats for you near sunset-COVID free of course).

#69 ·
Gross, but interesting. There's a lot to see and hear and it's not the same world that it was in the 70s and 80s. New York, I mean. The BART is mostly clean, or it was when I was last there, a few years ago.
I spent a summer (precovid) at my friend's spot in Brooklyn. His rent is reasonable and the area seems more lit then Jersey (I really don't want to drive in) but I'm trying to transition to a full time employee.

I don't know what it was like in the 70s/80s but I love the energy there. It's more of my scene I feel.

#73 ·
I have pepper spray and a taser.

Bring it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.