importance of having pepper spray

kingcorey321

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Always enjoy the use of "idiot" near the misuse of "there". Of course it was ONE person so we can't go to "their".

How about "his"? Was it a dude? I'll just guess. Certainly don't want to spend more time on this.

Oh yeah; what takes longer, rolling up the window or digging out the pepper spray?

Everything is more dramatic with 5FIVE5 exclamation points.
Sitting at the window telling them the order .
Put the window up cant tell them who i am.
I wanted to freshen this spray up anyways . Last time i used it was 6 months ago on a dog .
Me being a x repo driver the window is not going up !
The way i figured it i was doing other people a favor.
I know i can easily handle this person hand to had if required.
What if your wife was at that drive through or your parents .
What if they could not drive off or put the window up. Or they were not noticing him walk up.
I put this guys dick in the dirt . Next time he tries to hurt somebody at a drive through he will have second thoughts .

SuzeCB

Pepper spray is about the only legal defense you have in some states like NY. Even using a flashlight that doubles as a defensive weapon can get you an assault charge in NY.

Pepper spray is good especially like you used it, outside of the car. If you discharge it in your car at a pax then you better get out of the car and your car is rendered unusable for several hours. For that reason, the gel might work better for you in the car but even still you will get the effects in tight quarters. Although not ideal, it's the only thing you legally can use in some states so I agree with you.

Even better but not legal to discharge at a human in all states is bear spray. If it can take down a bear then imagine a person! I give both my daughters bear spray to keep with them.
Anything can get you accused of assault. The question is, what happens if it goes to court. And can you afford the attorney fees for your defense. LOL

Seamus

Anything can get you accused of assault. The question is, what happens if it goes to court. And can you afford the attorney fees for your defense. LOL
Exactly. However, in NY State the big question is do you get charged with Felony assault or Misdemeanor assault or a violation. In NY State Felony assault is define as hitting someone and causing "significant" injury. So if you hit someone and they break their jaw, crack their skull, etc.etc. that is a felony. In NY if you get convicted of Felony assault it is a MANDATORY 2 1/2 year minimum sentence, no discretion on the judges part.

I know a person that threw 1 punch defending his girlfriend from an ex husband who pushed her. Unfortunately the 1 punch broke the guys jaw and he ended up getting the Felony charge. $12,000 in legal fees later, it got reduced to a misdemeanor and plead to a violation. Expensive punch.

With a flashlight you could cause a "significant" injury and get charged. The system no longer seems to care if you were just defending yourself. Pepper spray is not going to get you charged with assault.

SuzeCB

Exactly. However, in NY State the big question is do you get charged with Felony assault or Misdemeanor assault or a violation. In NY State Felony assault is define as hitting someone and causing "significant" injury. So if you hit someone and they break their jaw, crack their skull, etc.etc. that is a felony. In NY if you get convicted of Felony assault it is a MANDATORY 2 1/2 year minimum sentence, no discretion on the judges part.

I know a person that threw 1 punch defending his girlfriend from an ex husband who pushed her. Unfortunately the 1 punch broke the guys jaw and he ended up getting the Felony charge. $12,000 in legal fees later, it got reduced to a misdemeanor and plead to a violation. Expensive punch.

With a flashlight you could cause a "significant" injury and get charged. The system no longer seems to care if you were just defending yourself. Pepper spray is not going to get you charged with assault.
For today. Tomorrow you'll hear of someone being charged for using it, appropriately or otherwise.

Pepper spray CAN cause permanent damage. Yes, even the stuff that's legal for the general public to use. If spitting at someone, or, today, coughing in someone's general direction on purpose, is assault, so is pepper spraying them. It's just not assault using an illegal weapon.

Seamus

For today. Tomorrow you'll hear of someone being charged for using it, appropriately or otherwise.

Pepper spray CAN cause permanent damage. Yes, even the stuff that's legal for the general public to use. If spitting at someone, or, today, coughing in someone's general direction on purpose, is assault, so is pepper spraying them. It's just not assault using an illegal weapon.
What is the alternative? Do nothing and just take being assaulted?

Nothing is perfect but I like my chances of not being charged a lot better using a legal non lethal defense like pepper spray. I wish tasers were legal in NY but they aren't.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Thank god I live in a state that allows self defense.

I had one incident where I used what I determined to be a reasonable amount of force, namely I beat the dipshit with my clipboard until he fled. I ended up knocking a tooth out.

both of us filed police reports but mine came with camera footage for the cops.

the difference?

His accused me of felony assault with a deadly weapon and was proven false.

I accused him of assault and battery and was

He got charged I didn’t....

For the record my cop believed me as did the cop he talked to...

The most important weapon you can carry is the dash camera.

observer

Thank god I live in a state that allows self defense.

I had one incident where I used what I determined to be a reasonable amount of force, namely I beat the dipshit with my clipboard until he fled. I ended up knocking a tooth out.

both of us filed police reports but mine came with camera footage for the cops.

the difference?

His accused me of felony assault with a deadly weapon and was proven false.

I accused him of assault and battery and was

He got charged I didn’t....

For the record my cop believed me as did the cop he talked to...

The most important weapon you can carry is the dash camera.
It's very important not to leave without talking to police.

A few years back a young "gangbanger" and I had a little wrestling match in the middle of the street.

There were about a dozen witnesses so I knew someone had called the cops. I could see some people talking excitedly in to their phone and pointing in our direction.

After I let the other guy up off the ground and he limped off, I stayed put and waited then I explained exactly what happened to the cops.

They heard my version immediately and verified it with onlookers at the same time.

Never heard anything about it again.

At night, I was doing a pick up at Bart Station and saw 1 guy walking ahead. I rolled up to him and asked if hes waiting for an uber. The moment I opended my mouth noticed he was homeless and on some sort of narcotics/drunk. But i already started asking him and he said "hey want me to get in". He thought I was interested in him. I got scared and drove up a distance. Then saw him wobbling towards my car. Was like @@@@ this, cancelled and left.

SuzeCB

What is the alternative? Do nothing and just take being assaulted?

Nothing is perfect but I like my chances of not being charged a lot better using a legal non lethal defense like pepper spray. I wish tasers were legal in NY but they aren't.
Oh, I'm right there with ya, don't get me wrong!

observer

Only if you’re a cop. At that point you just need to be approved by the tlc commissioner to conceal carry a firearm.

Can you teach me your technique?
I didn't know that was a thing.

He took a swing at me which because of the way he was standing I knew it was coming.

I just grabbed him in a bear hug lifted him off the ground and bodyslammed him on the street. Then I jumped on him with my elbow on his neck and my other hand holding his arm down.

I think that when I bodyslammed him he landed on his hip because he walked away with a pretty bad limp.

RideShare_Hustler

I didn't know that was a thing.

He took a swing at me which because of the way he was standing I knew it was coming.

I just grabbed him in a bear hug lifted him off the ground and bodyslammed him on the street. Then I jumped on him with my elbow on his neck and my other hand holding his arm down.

I think that when I bodyslammed him he landed on his hip because he walked away with a pretty bad limp.
Oh wow 😳

Let me know where I can reach you in case I need to hire a bodyguard.

UberTrent9

With all the snow flakes out there these days I'd be concerned. I realize they are not firearms. I just don't see me ever carrying one.
Exactly! Just wait til someone who gets hit with one of these, decides to sue, then what? You just know some s&;:' bag lawyer will be foaming @ the mouth to take you to court & try to get $50-$100k or more in damages for this BS.

UberBastid

Exactly! Just wait til someone who gets hit with one of these, decides to sue, then what? You just know some s&;:' bag lawyer will be foaming @ the mouth to take you to court & try to get $50-$100k or more in damages for this BS.
Maybe I should, but I just don't think of these issues when I am under attack.
"Should I take an ass beating and raping so that I don't get in trouble with the police?"
It doesn't cross my mind.

Something wrong with me I guess ... but when the big bad guy is walking toward me with fists clenched, I do not worry about if he'll sue me if I defend myself or my family. I just don't think about if I can afford a defense lawyer.
Instead I think about how much force is going to be required to neutralize this threat.