I'm so stupid but I did learn a lesson!

Tennvol11

Well sometimes you have to learn lessons the hard way and Friday night boy did I ever. Got a Lyft ping to a local Aldi around 9 (first red flag), almost timed out and then the PAX pushed a giant cart out with 2 kids and was yelling for me to pop the truck (second red flag). Then the PAX informs me that her friend is coming with another snot nose kid in tow with a giant cart full of crap as well (should have canceled and left at this point). Well at this point I tell the pax that this trip is no go, and that she has 3 kids and 5 pax total. I told her there weren't enough belts and that what she was doing is not cool. Well at that point her friend was finished loading my trunk full of 2 carts worth of groceries. We she told me she was just down the street, pissed already I take the trip. Well we pull into a familiar apartment complex that I'm never a fan of visiting in the day time hours let alone at night, dump the shit out of my trunk as fast as I can. The icing on my cake was that upon getting one of the slower snot nose kids out of my ride to my chagrin this little s*&t had been getting what was essentially liquid jolly ranched all over my leather and all over my windows.
Off to a well lit area to clean up and promptly rate my pax a 1 star, I was so aggravated I saw a cop in the parking lot adjacent to me and decided it was time to get some clarification on child safety restraint laws in IL and needless to say I will not be taking anyone who looks under 12 in my ride unless they have a seat.

Please let the e-mails commence about how I never should have opened my truck let alone my doors to the greedy riders!!

I feel you. Today will be my 3rd day driving and yesterday I got a ping from Shedd Acquariam. Guy called me, said he had 4 passengers. I told him my backseat was kind of small for 3 people and he said it'd be fine they'd squeeze in and were only going to Skydeck. I pull up and it's 3 adults + 2 kids. I'm a noob so I didn't want to tell him no, plus I got so many pings from ******* Wacker Dr. that I couldn't find (I guess Wacker is the gauntlet for new people) that I ended up panic-canceling that my acceptance rate rn is really low. (70% lol)

But ...what if I'd gotten into an accident? I can't even. It was dumb.

SibeRescueBrian

Well sometimes you have to learn lessons the hard way and Friday night boy did I ever. Got a Lyft ping to a local Aldi around 9 (first red flag), almost timed out and then the PAX pushed a giant cart out with 2 kids and was yelling for me to pop the truck (second red flag). Then the PAX informs me that her friend is coming with another snot nose kid in tow with a giant cart full of crap as well (should have canceled and left at this point). Well at this point I tell the pax that this trip is no go, and that she has 3 kids and 5 pax total. I told her there weren't enough belts and that what she was doing is not cool. Well at that point her friend was finished loading my trunk full of 2 carts worth of groceries. We she told me she was just down the street, pissed already I take the trip. Well we pull into a familiar apartment complex that I'm never a fan of visiting in the day time hours let alone at night, dump the shit out of my trunk as fast as I can. The icing on my cake was that upon getting one of the slower snot nose kids out of my ride to my chagrin this little s*&t had been getting what was essentially liquid jolly ranched all over my leather and all over my windows.
Off to a well lit area to clean up and promptly rate my pax a 1 star, I was so aggravated I saw a cop in the parking lot adjacent to me and decided it was time to get some clarification on child safety restraint laws in IL and needless to say I will not be taking anyone who looks under 12 in my ride unless they have a seat.

Please let the e-mails commence about how I never should have opened my truck let alone my doors to the greedy riders!!

Just an FYI, you could have taken pictures of the mess the kid left, then gotten a $40-$60 cleaning fee from Uber.

Mad Medic

Never need to get mean or apologize on your behalf. Uber behalf by all means

"Oh ma'am I am terribly sorry that i am unabe ro be your diver today. I am an Uber X mandated for 4 max passenger regardless of circumstance

Also be advised that although I've not been issued car seats
by Uber, Illinois law does require them in various forms based upon child age. Seatbelts required for all car seats as well as all non minor pax. Illinois law also probits for any minor to sit on the lap of another rider"

If they say "Please" you must answer back with something likr

"Sorry ma'am but this is for the safety of our riders. I do apolohize and would happily help you to order Uber SUV

LoveTheBlues

Live and learn. Doors stay locked until you can evaluate the situation. Even then, surprises happen as it is amazing the ways a pax can screw you. The real trick is remembering that 95% are okay and you can still enjoy the job and your riders. But those 5% can sure kill a day.

Pchi

I don't pick up at harbors, museums or grocery stores. Also Ill detour or keep driving if I see people with a s##@load of items. In the past at every job I've always worked hard, but with uber there's no taking one for the team.

Prius13

We have been there done that. DF trip to home, got a ping at Mexican grocery store in West Chicago off 59. Waited and waited and waited, this was way before x timer. Then I got a trailer "woman" load groceries in my trunk. <1 mile trip to her home. She yells on phone before we get there, that they (household members) all need to be ready to unload groceries since she had done her part. Same thing when we get there, yells at the guy and some kid, that they needed help unload groceries since she had done her job. I UNLOADED her cases of pop and groceries since I didn't want to be there in the middle of domestic yelling. Couldn't wait to leave that place.

Hazmat

This sounds like a classic Waukegan trip around 2-3pm. That's DF area (I don't care if it's your last one) right there unless you're a patient [email protected]@@@er. People think it's @@@@ing Meal On Wheels and are some shameless @@@@s. I keep myself south of 60 and can usually avoid these situations. Okay.....blood pressure up, rant over.

Cheech

Harbors would be a no-go for me as well, especially this this time of year. Either they just got off a charter boat with bags of salmon filets... or possibly a harbor-rat fisherman with loads of smelly fishing gear and possibly fish as well.

ETA: Museum pick ups usually include a bunch of unruly kids too. I got a request for a pick up at Chuck E Cheese the other night and actually laughed out loud while saying to myself, you've got to be kidding me. Good luck to whoever picks up kids from that place!

Last edited: