• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I'm now getting very bored

JaniceCT

I'm getting nothing but short ride, after short ride, after short ride. Most of my rides now are below $10. That includes rides that req me to drive 10-20 mins to get them. Some semi rural places I used to like to go to i now find myself avoiding, even if I recognize the address. Not driving 15 mins to take this person 2-3 miles and then have to drive back 15 mins.

To sum it up this is getting very boring. I feel like I'm driving in circles all day. When I first started I used to get long drives all the time. Where did those people go?

JaniceCT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where are you driving?
I stay close to the I 91 corridor. I go up and down it. Enfield to airport to Hartford to Wallingford to new haven. I try not to venture to far out east or west.

Taryn

I'm in your area! I am very, very new, and have yet to find the perfect weekday spots and weeknight spots. BDL has been hit or miss. I have picked up 3 times there and haven't had less than a $15 trip-if that helps you. Because of the where we live, it's just the nature of the business I'm coming to understand. We live in a rural area and since there isn't that many drivers in our area, we get pings to go (I kid you not) up to 24 minutes away, which of course I decline. This is how I am looking at it, I'll take most pings if they're not too far away. I'm declining those that are more than 15 minutes away though. In the rural areas it takes a while to get anywhere so I'm used to that. Up to a 15 minute drive, I'm comfortable with that-regardless of their destination. The more rides I give the more the word will get around that Uber is in the area, which should translate into even more rides of varying distances. So, those sweet older ladies (2 of which didn't believe Uber was in the area) I took from Suffield to Suffield (lol) Three Figs restaurant, when it comes time to get a ride to Hartford, or New Haven, or the airport, or the train station, or the outlet malls, or to the Berkshires, or to NYC, or some other destination, they now know that Uber is in the area and one of us drivers will get that ride. And hopefully (*hopefully*!) in time more drivers will come into the area and the short trips will be spread out more amongst us. I think it's so new to the area, people are little cautious to try it, but once they catch a ride with us and see it's a great experience they'll tell someone, who'll tell someone, who'll tell someone else, who'll tell someone else-and it will be a popular mode of transportation-since our area really has no public transportation to speak of. I think it's just going to take some time and us putting in the time as well and getting the word out. Uber may be the company that joins us with riders, but as independent contractors we are the face of our business-which translates to we have to put in the work too, especially because we are in a rural community and not a large city. Also, some words of wisdom my old man that can pertain to any and all aspects of life: manage your expectations. Some of the best advice he has given me. I go out and expect to make around $50-and I'd be happy with that. Anything more is just a bonus in my eyes. Hope that helps :-)

JaniceCT

I've been doing this for almost a year . What I've found is in rural areas,it becomes popular with students . you end up driving 20 mins just to take them 2 miles away to the nearest pizzeria , Starbucks or some other fast food place. Complete waste of time. It's not new anymore . It's been in ct for over a year

JaniceCT

Actually the reverse happens. When drivers waste their time picking up short rides in rural areas, they start to ignore future requests. Unfortunately for those riders it becomes harder to get a ride. If you drive all the way out there and give that short ride, if you sit and wait for another you could easily waste an hour of time

Taryn

Yeah, I've done some boarding school trips-ugh. I ignore them if I'm too far away. But if I'm already in Simsbury or Suffield, then I'm glad to take them.

borrowedtune

I've been doing this for almost a year . What I've found is in rural areas,it becomes popular with students . you end up driving 20 mins just to take them 2 miles away to the nearest pizzeria , Starbucks or some other fast food place. Complete waste of time. It's not new anymore . It's been in ct for over a year
Sounds like someone has done a few Westminster pick ups.

Chauncey Bivitz

I'm in your area! I am very, very new, and have yet to find the perfect weekday spots and weeknight spots. BDL has been hit or miss. I have picked up 3 times there and haven't had less than a $15 trip-if that helps you. Because of the where we live, it's just the nature of the business I'm coming to understand. We live in a rural area and since there isn't that many drivers in our area, we get pings to go (I kid you not) up to 24 minutes away, which of course I decline. This is how I am looking at it, I'll take most pings if they're not too far away. I'm declining those that are more than 15 minutes away though. In the rural areas it takes a while to get anywhere so I'm used to that. Up to a 15 minute drive, I'm comfortable with that-regardless of their destination. The more rides I give the more the word will get around that Uber is in the area, which should translate into even more rides of varying distances. So, those sweet older ladies (2 of which didn't believe Uber was in the area) I took from Suffield to Suffield (lol) Three Figs restaurant, when it comes time to get a ride to Hartford, or New Haven, or the airport, or the train station, or the outlet malls, or to the Berkshires, or to NYC, or some other destination, they now know that Uber is in the area and one of us drivers will get that ride. And hopefully (*hopefully*!) in time more drivers will come into the area and the short trips will be spread out more amongst us. I think it's so new to the area, people are little cautious to try it, but once they catch a ride with us and see it's a great experience they'll tell someone, who'll tell someone, who'll tell someone else, who'll tell someone else-and it will be a popular mode of transportation-since our area really has no public transportation to speak of. I think it's just going to take some time and us putting in the time as well and getting the word out. Uber may be the company that joins us with riders, but as independent contractors we are the face of our business-which translates to we have to put in the work too, especially because we are in a rural community and not a large city. Also, some words of wisdom my old man that can pertain to any and all aspects of life: manage your expectations. Some of the best advice he has given me. I go out and expect to make around $50-and I'd be happy with that. Anything more is just a bonus in my eyes. Hope that helps :smiles:
It is not the drivers' job to let people know about Uber. If they would make an effort - any effort at all, really - then there would be plenty of work. There is no shortage, however, of advertising and referral money to get as many drivers as possible. It's a good idea to not set your expectations high when dealing with this company.

JaniceCT

Are you ok with picking up U-18's?
Yes. I'm getting them to their destination safely. I one time picked up a kid who was only 10 yrs old . He was using the app to go grocery shopping for his mom. I've also had a father who sent his 12 yr old alone to school. He requests a ride every morning so his child can get to school on time

Dontmakemepullauonyou

I'm getting nothing but short ride, after short ride, after short ride. Most of my rides now are below $10. That includes rides that req me to drive 10-20 mins to get them. Some semi rural places I used to like to go to i now find myself avoiding, even if I recognize the address. Not driving 15 mins to take this person 2-3 miles and then have to drive back 15 mins.

To sum it up this is getting very boring. I feel like I'm driving in circles all day. When I first started I used to get long drives all the time. Where did those people go?
Most likely uber is funneling those long rides to new drivers to get them sucked in.

Msmathwiz

Are you ok with picking up U-18's?
Same here. I've picked up students and dropped them off at school as well. I like to know that I'm helping them get to school and on time. Sometimes I see kids dragging their feet on their walk to school and right off the bat I can tell you they'll be late.

Chauncey Bivitz

Same here. I've picked up students and dropped them off at school as well. I like to know that I'm helping them get to school and on time. Sometimes I see kids dragging their feet on their walk to school and right off the bat I can tell you they'll be late.
I hope you realize the Uber insurance will not cover you (this is a clear violation of your agreement).

Hostivice

Hi Janice, if you have a chance PM me please. Anthony in Southington

Funnyhead88

CT is a hit and miss when it comes to rides. You have to know what time and areas to go to to be successful or you end up adding extra unwanted miles to your vehicle. I live right next to BDL but every time I drive in CT, I end up in Fairfield County.

Shynrix

Necro'd the hell out of this thread Anthony~
Only realized halfway down when Janice said she been doing this for a year and I'm like I could swear I've seen her posting longer than that~

You still bored Janice?