1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I'm not you're buddy, friend, neighbor or family member

Discussion in 'Tips' started by joebo1963, Mar 3, 2017.

1. joebo1963

joebo1963 Active Member

I don't want five thanks you's! I want a tip!

why do people thank me as pull up to the airport? at this I know "no tip" then they thank me again and again like I'm their best friend!

I never enthusiastically return their thank you's

Bradywasframed likes this.
  2. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Do you ask them for a tip?

They can't be expected to know what you want by osmosis, and the information they have already received from Uber is that tipping isn't necessary as it is a cashless transaction where they just hop out.

A lot of people are under the impression that tipping an Uber driver is a major faux pas, and would be seen as an insult by some Uber Partners.

Asking for money might still not influence some passengers, it will take time to change the social convention that Uber drivers are not to be tipped. But it can't hurt.

3. LuisEnrikee

LuisEnrikee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  4. Alex812

Alex812 New Member

:D

5. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Definitely ask all your pax for a tip unless they look like they are so poor that they need the money way more than you. Ask politely though. There is absolutely no rule that prohibits asking for a tip.

6. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Out of curiousity, what exactly do you say?

bad089 likes this.
  7. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I haven't really done it cuz I don't want to get fired for bad ratings. But if taxi demand tips rny can't we politely remind them and ask them for a tip for driving to them, letting them charger their phone and take a water? It will show their true colors.

8. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    What exactly do you plan on saying?

bad089 and Shangsta like this.
  9. crazy916

crazy916 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    "I am not lifting your luggage into the trunk, unless you hand over some of those dead white guys in you wallet." In reality I just keep driving if I see luggage.

10. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

Ya know funny thing is I ask for too after every single taxi ride.. I just make it sound like they are paying the company and not me. So after saying that I slip in asking if they would like to tip me and I am at about 85-90% since I use the same exact words each time I collect payment....I use my personal PayPal chip reader. And I read word for word like "ok your fare is $25 and then the "SYSTEM" is asking do you want to add a tip?".....easy peasy and I get tipped

11. Jagent

Jagent Moderator Moderator

A very easy and subtle way to bring up tips is to start off by asking this. ..

"If you don't mind my asking, how much is Uber charging you for this ride?"

Once they tell you, then move on to...

"Uber started upfront pricing and they are ripping one of us off, because they will tell me a much lower price. They also stopped paying us tips. "

That's all it takes. Pax will always want to know what your statement says, but i tell them Uber withholds it for 10 minutes after the ride.

I only use this on friendly pax and it results in a tip 50% of the time.