• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I'm not going to make it (4.81 and falling)

OldBay

I have about 70 rides. First two weeks all 5*s and a single 4*.

Since then I've received a 1* from two conniving women who took a long expensive trip and were trying to scam a free ride. The name on the account was a man's name, should have known not to take them.

Today I was hauling a middle eastern women with broken english to her job. I was at her address but she was not there, so I had to circle around again after she called. She asked me if there was a subway to the airport and I said no. Then she said "no I want you to stop at a Subway". I said I don't get paid for that, but when I saw they were empty I said "please hurry". She was fast enough, I thought I might get a tip, but I ended up with 3*.

At this rate I will be deactivated in another week.

I am polite, professional, friendly when I need to be, silent when pax doesnt want to talk. I've had good conversations and good tips. My car is clean and in great shape. Smells nice.

Afaict, there are people trying to scam the system or who have entitlement issues and expect a select vehicle when they order an X. Any last minute tips that will help me out? Any more bad ratings and I will fall below 4.65.

Irishjohn831

The very minute you are able to stop thinking about your rating, what you can do to improve it, etc is when you will see it go up.

It will go up rapidly as you continue to about 500 tides and then we’ll stabilize.

You will get pax who give you 1 star for no reason, it happened to all of us.

Just get people from point A to point B, don’t worry about music, whether to talk, or offering water or candy.

You will be fine, I was given the same advice and the only thing I did was reach back and open door when pulling up for pax, maybe first impression thing but never looked back.

OldBay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. What do you do when a pax makes a request to stop that isn't programmed into the app? Or when they make other strange requests? The reason I agreed to stop was because I was concerned she would ding my rating if I didnt. And she did anyway.

mmn

Oldbay, this is all good advice. In the beginning low ratings have far more impact. As you complete more rides, you will still get some but overall you will see more higher rates and your average will go up. As ssid, best not to look at it or worry about it and just drive.

Irishjohn831

Thanks. What do you do when a pax makes a request to stop that isn't programmed into the app? Or when they make other strange requests?
Honestly, depends on the pax, sometimes people want to make a quick stop because they just want to get something out of the way.

If someone asks can we stop at Starbucks, I say sure, if they say can we stop and pick up a friend on the way, I would say when we get there to add a pax you just have to request another uber, if you do it when we get close, you may get me again. This way they see you are not unwilling to take them, just have to follow policy.

If they go in a store for more than 4-5 mins, cancel the ride and they cannot rate you

Alabama Lou

Dont worry about it.

I got a 1* for not doing a "Cash ride"

I had a ride from Somerville, NJ to Allentown PA. on the way back got a ping from a chick pissing and moaning about how she has

"Had it" with Lyft and Uber always overcharging her and never giving her a break.

"I juss do cash Lyft and Cash Uber now"....

Good for you lady.

"When we get to my house I will give you 10 dollars to drive me on some errands"

Uhhh.... no.....sorry Miss. Thats against the rules.

Right after that I get the 1*.

BigRedDriver

I have about 70 rides. First two weeks all 5*s and a single 4*.

Since then I've received a 1* from two conniving women who took a long expensive trip and were trying to scam a free ride. The name on the account was a man's name, should have known not to take them.

Today I was hauling a middle eastern women with broken english to her job. I was at her address but she was not there, so I had to circle around again after she called. She asked me if there was a subway to the airport and I said no. Then she said "no I want you to stop at a Subway". I said I don't get paid for that, but when I saw they were empty I said "please hurry". She was fast enough, I thought I might get a tip, but I ended up with 3*.

At this rate I will be deactivated in another week.

I am polite, professional, friendly when I need to be, silent when pax doesnt want to talk. I've had good conversations and good tips. My car is clean and in great shape. Smells nice.

Afaict, there are people trying to scam the system or who have entitlement issues and expect a select vehicle when they order an X. Any last minute tips that will help me out? Any more bad ratings and I will fall below 4.65.
You are fine. It takes awhile. I fell in the first month as well. Take the advise of the vets here and don’t be afraid to just be yourself as well. If stopping someplace makes sense, do it FOR GOOD SERVICE, NOT OUT OF FEAR.

I’ve stopped many times, some get me nice tips or a coke, other times nothing.

My ratings dipped the first month, but I listened to these guys and at 1500 rides now combined I’m 4.95 Uber and 5.0 on Lyft.

Don’t worry too much.

Trafficat

I said I don't get paid for that, but when I saw they were empty I said "please hurry".
You are lucky you didn't get a 1 star rating instead of a 3 star rating. I would have just cancelled the ride.

I cancel pretty much every ride before it starts at the first sign of passenger discontent. Discontented passengers mean bad ratings. Telling a passenger "no" means bad ratings. Telling a passenger to hurry means bad ratings.

I only transport people after telling them "no" if they act really cool with the response like "Okay man, no problem, thanks for picking me up". On the other hand if they are saying, "No fair my other drivers let me do it" then it's "good luck with your next driver". Then they say, "WTF you are my slave you must take me!" and I say, "nope, sorry" and I speed off to the next passenger with a better attitude who won't murder my ratings.

Last edited:

OldBay

You are lucky you didn't get a 1 star rating instead of a 3 star rating. I would have just cancelled the ride.
The stop was only about a minute from the end destination. She would have got a $20 trip for free.

The problem was that she didn't really understand english well, I had to say things twice and it was never clear if she understood what I was saying.

The real problem was trip started off bad, that she was late at pickup, she saw me driving away and I had to circle back. She probably thought I missed her address, but the problem was she wasn't there and the pickup took 3 min extra.

In the future, if pax has to call me for any reason, I will just cancel because they are likely upset at something.

Trafficat

The real problem was trip started off bad, that she was late at pickup, she saw me driving away and I had to circle back. She probably thought I missed her address, but the problem was she wasn't there and the pickup took 3 min extra.
I often cancel rides under similar circumstances.

In the future, if pax has to call me for any reason, I will just cancel because they are likely upset at something.
Generally a good strategy, but I'd listen to what they have to say before cancelling. It will only take a minute to see whether they are upset of have some other thing to say... sometimes someone just calls to ask if it's okay to bring their cat or to explain that the GPS will try to bring you through a locked gate and to go down one more block. I'll take those pax every day. But I would say I do cancel a high percentage of callers. If they are upset, cancel.

I love it when people call me and say "WHERE ARE YOU!? I'M GONNA BE LATE!". "Oh just one second, let me see if I can get another driver there that could be faster" I might say... then I hang up, and hit "Cancel - Do not charge rider".

The Gift of Fish

The real problem was trip started off bad, that she was late at pickup, she saw me driving away and I had to circle back.
That's key. If you're trying to raise your ratings, you're at a disadvantage if anything goes wrong or even if there's a hint of an issue for any reason before the pax gets in the car. In the early days when I was still figuring things out, my rating dropped to 4.67. To increase it, I implemented a few measures. Any attitude from pax on the phone or text before the ride, or any attitude as they were getting in the car, I cancelled the ride. If I missed a turning on the way to the pickup or of there was a GPS issue causing me to go to the wrong place, I would cancel the ride. If the pax is a make-you-wait DB bro or princess, I cancel the ride. Open containers, trip stop requests, cancel the ride.

The only pax you want in your car are the ones who get in happy. Otherwise, you need to protect your rating from people who will want to damage it. If it's falling, that is more important than any one trip's earnings.

OldBay

That's key. If you're trying to raise your ratings, you're at a disadvantage if anything goes wrong or even if there's a hint of an issue for any reason before the pax gets in the car. In the early days when I was still figuring things out, my rating dropped to 4.67. To increase it, I implemented a few measures. Any attitude from pax on the phone or text before the ride, or any attitude as they were getting in the car, I cancelled the ride. If I missed a turning on the way to the pickup or of there was a GPS issue causing me to go to the wrong place, I would cancel the ride. If the pax is a make-you-wait DB bro or princess, I cancel the ride. Open containers, trip stop requests, cancel the ride.

The only pax you want in your car are the ones who get in happy. Otherwise, you need to protect your rating from people who will want to damage it. If it's falling, that is more important than any one trip's earnings.
Attitude getting into the car? How do you get them out once they are in without them vandalizing your car?

If you miss a turn, even if it doesnt add any time to the trip, do you just deliver them half way and cancel? Again, how do you get them out? Someone who is already in a bad mood, if you dump them roadside I imagine could go ballistic.

Ssgcraig

The very minute you are able to stop thinking about your rating, what you can do to improve it, etc is when you will see it go up.

It will go up rapidly as you continue to about 500 tides and then we’ll stabilize.

You will get pax who give you 1 star for no reason, it happened to all of us.

Just get people from point A to point B, don’t worry about music, whether to talk, or offering water or candy.

You will be fine, I was given the same advice and the only thing I did was reach back and open door when pulling up for pax, maybe first impression thing but never looked back.
Good advice^^^^^ One thing I would add, treat people as you would want to be treated. You will learn who wants to talk and who doesn't. Wait for 500 trips, I have been a 4.95 for a while now and I only fluctuate .1, up or down.