I'm getting paid to sleep with a pax!

SadUber

They say that history turns on small hinges. It seems that the life of an Uber driver turns on small pings. Because of a ping I received last week, I now find myself sleeping in a new house every night.

Last week I got a ping to pick up a pax named George at a Cub foods grocery store. When I got there, there was a very old sick looking man connected to an oxygen tank with a cart of groceries. Although I promised not to help out pax with groceries again, I immediately helped out this one.

As we were driving, he began telling me the story of his life and recent illness and how he expects it to take his life shortly. He lives alone and his lungs are hardening up with his illness. He currently has 30% lung capacity. He has an adult daughter that lives nearby but rarely visits. He REALLY does not want to go into a nursing home or assisted living.

During the ride, he began asking me a few questions about who I lived with, and where I lived. I told him I live alone with my old cat.

After dropping him off at his house and helping him with his groceries, I told him I’d be glad to help in in the future if he needed help.

He said “I’d like to make a proposition to you. My family and hospice are telling me I have to move into assisted living unless if I get somebody to stay with me. How would you like to get paid just for sleeping? If you can just spend the night here after you get done Ubering, I’ll pay you $50 a night. I bet you’ve never got paid for sleeping before.”

“OK. So what would would this require?”

“Nothing. Just sleep here in my guest room and I’ll press an alarm if I’m having an emergency like if my oxygen tank gets disconnected or something.”

Sounded simple enough, so I immediately agreed. (he lets me bring my cat into a sectioned off part of the house)

Day one: I slept soundly through the entire night.

Day two: he asked if in the morning I could put some device on his finger to check out his heartbeat. He gave me the phone number of his hospice to call in case if he’s dead. I was thinking “I’ll might be dealing with a dead body here? More than I bargained for”

Day three: As I walked passed his bedroom at night time and he asked me to get him a glass of water.

Day four: He called out to me and asked me to get him a handkerchief from the living room. I found a dirty one covered in blood and boogers. I grabbed it by the corner. After he blew his nose in it, he pushed it back into my hand.

Day five: He called me in to carry away a jug of pee and dump it into the toilet. I REALLY did not sign up for it. Early in the morning, he pressed the alarm and I went into his room. He fell out of bed and could not get up. He’s getting too weak. I got behind him and tried to lift him up, but every time, he would scream in pain. Finally I called 911 and two cops came over and lifted him up. They began asking me a lot of questions about him and his condition. I couldn’t answer. They said “What is your relationship to George?” I said “I’m just his Uber driver.”

I don’t really like how this is coming along. I think I’m going to have to tell him I can’t do this anymore.

backcountryrez

This kind of Kathy?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-23_15-19-22.png
    upload_2017-9-23_15-19-22.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 121

UberPat

I don't know why I even bother commenting or pointing out what is wrong with Sad Uber's antics because he never takes any good advice from anyone...BUT...

This could turn into a HUGE lawsuit. You are NOT a medically trained professional. You have no business trying to take care of him. If he dies on your watch, guess who that daughter is going to go after?

I do not know why I even wasted time typing this

SadUber

I don't know why I even bother commenting or pointing out what is wrong with Sad Uber's antics because he never takes any good advice from anyone...BUT...

This could turn into a HUGE lawsuit. You are NOT a medically trained professional. You have no business trying to take care of him. If he dies on your watch, guess who that daughter is going to go after?

I do not know why I even wasted time typing this
He ASKED me!

I'm not even supposed to do anything medical, Just be there.

Spotscat

Two people.

One "...said he will pay me to drive his car to San Diego to drop off his car, and then he'll pay for my plane ticket to fly home."

The other stated "If you can just spend the night here after you get done Ubering, I’ll pay you $50 a night."

And they're both senior citizens named "George".

Wow! What a coincidence.

UberPat

You truly do not see that you are doing something very wrong here? Do you not see the liability you are setting your self up for? You can not be that stupid...

My only hope is that Sad Uber truly is a work of fiction and these are all just stories

Cableguynoe

I don't believe a word he says on ANY of his posts!

Well this changes everything

You truly do not see that you are doing something very wrong here? Do you not see the liability you are setting your self up for? You can not be that stupid...

My only hope is that Sad Uber truly is a work of fiction and these are all just stories

When an old man who is dying dies, no one points fingers

MHR

Maybe SadUber is on to something.

Old man goes to cafeteria everyday, gets the same waitress. He's a curmudgeon all the time but she's always nice to him.

He doesn't show up for a while and she sees his obituary in the paper. She's actually sad.

His lawyer shows up later tells her old man enjoyed her positive attitude and left her 50k and his car.

True story, not mine though. It did happen recently.