I'm done with rides from EWR to Pennsylvania.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

It's bad enough I've got a ride 20 or miles so back to the Border, but then when I get to the Border it's dead. From now on I will cancel these.

Clarity

I don't blame you. I feel that way about driving out of Asbury Park at night after a dropoff unless it's after bars close.

VictorD

There is only one way to fix this problem as far as I can tell. The passenger has to pony up to pay the time and miles it takes for the driver to get back to their home state.
Yeah, until the first time the pax complains that you demanded extra money and you're permanently deactivated. It's not worth the hassle anymore. Uber & Lyft used to pay surcharges for out-of-market trips until pax complained. Uber has been around too long and the pax know this game like they know their own name. The only way you truly win anymore is to just not do it. Period. All the old ways that used to work regularly are littered with landmines.

Everything has a cost... except the word "no." "No" costs nothing and, in the long run, save you more than saying "yes" will ever give you.

FortLeeUber2017

There is only one way to fix this problem as far as I can tell. The passenger has to pony up to pay the time and miles it takes for the driver to get back to their home state.
I had that couple one day going to Hamptons out of EWR at 0:30, and when I even started saying something like that they jumped out of my car yelling. No problem, it’s not like I wished to have them... If a rider thinks I can do it without having 2 Franklins pointed directly at me, they are insane. PA trips are different because there’s not too much suffering usually involved in our way back.

ZepFan

Yeah, until the first time the pax complains that you demanded extra money and you're permanently deactivated. It's not worth the hassle anymore. Uber & Lyft used to pay surcharges for out-of-market trips until pax complained. Uber has been around too long and the pax know this game like they know their own name. The only way you truly win anymore is to just not do it. Period. All the old ways that used to work regularly are littered with landmines.

Everything has a cost... except the word "no." "No" costs nothing and, in the long run, save you more than saying "yes" will ever give you.
I didn't say you should ask them. My point was that should be part of the deal. That should be embedded in the cost.

VictorD

I didn't say you should ask them. My point was that should be part of the deal. That should be embedded in the cost.
My point is, it used to be. Pax didn't want to pay it. Uber/Lyft figured out that they didn't have to pay it because there were more desperate ants willing to do it for free than they had rides for. Uber/Lyft took it away.

anteetr

Considering the fact that ive probably driven at least a couple of hundred people to EWR from Pennsylvania, it would be nice if they would give me one back like ever. After all, I live there and unlike most of you, I actually want it.

It is extremely rare i get a ride that goes to where 99% of my airport rides originate and i know most of them go back to the same place the same way. There has to be a way Uber can figure out how to prioritize sending people back where they came from at airports.

ZepFan

Considering the fact that ive probably driven at least a couple of hundred people to EWR from Pennsylvania, it would be nice if they would give me one back like ever. After all, I live there and unlike most of you, I actually want it.

It is extremely rare i get a ride that goes to where 99% of my airport rides originate and i know most of them go back to the same place the same way. There has to be a way Uber can figure out how to prioritize sending people back where they came from at airports.
Since we are not allowed to put a destination point on at the airport, the least that they could do is give us rides to the areas where we drive the most. I doubt this would be hard to do. You could picture it as a simple heat map.

UberwhoIaM

It's bad enough I've got a ride 20 or miles so back to the Border, but then when I get to the Border it's dead. From now on I will cancel these.
Let us know how that works out for u.... I understand your dilemma but how you going to manage that? Cancel after you get there and pax tells you where they're going? You can expect Uber to take all your airport privileges (to and from airports) away from you.

I wonder if people think before posting here....

Wow amazing..... your 87 mile ride to Pa is only $527.....
Drivers demands
1. Raise rates
2. Mandatory 3x surges
3. Pax can't talk or breathe
4. Pax must ride in trunk
5. Pax must pay for snacks and fuel...
6. Only long trips but not too long.....

Do you people ever listen to the things you say? It's simple.... can't mske it work... don't like it..... quit driving....

Finally some common sense..... lol..... I believe they think it's in their best interest to give drivers rides away from where they come from. Keeps you on the road longer... Just from the info gathered from drivers in our little group it seems they purposely send you north or east if you came from the south or west and vice versa...

SuzeCB

Since we are not allowed to put a destination point on at the airport, the least that they could do is give us rides to the areas where we drive the most. I doubt this would be hard to do. You could picture it as a simple heat map.
They used to. I used to have nights where I would absolutely ant, and see where Uber would bring me. I'd end up in an area I hadn't driven before, do one or two rides there, then the app would bring me home... without using a DF.

ZepFan

Wow amazing..... your 87 mile ride to Pa is only $527.....
Drivers demands
1. Raise rates
2. Mandatory 3x surges
3. Pax can't talk or breathe
4. Pax must ride in trunk
5. Pax must pay for snacks and fuel...
6. Only long trips but not too long.....

Do you people ever listen to the things you say? It's simple.... can't mske it work... don't like it..... quit driving....
Wow, you are a real pompous d**che, eh. The only reason I said that was to put forth what would work for drivers. As it stands now there's no incentive to do those rides. The only drivers doing it are really bad at math. The driver loses. The customer loses. The only other way to fix the problem is to let drivers pick up PAX in other states.
Post automatically merged:

Finally some common sense..... lol..... I believe they think it's in their best interest to give drivers rides away from where they come from. Keeps you on the road longer... Just from the info gathered from drivers in our little group it seems they purposely send you north or east if you came from the south or west and vice versa...
Which explains how twice in the last week I got a ride to the airport and right back North to near where I started. But you must be brilliant. You've got Uber's schemes all figured out, right?

Last edited:

Uber burn in hell

Wow, you are a real pompous d**che, eh. The only reason I said that was to put forth what would work for drivers. As it stands now there's no incentive to do those rides. The only drivers doing it are really bad at math. The driver loses. The customer loses. The only other way to fix the problem is to let drivers pick up PAX in other states.
I was done the second I pick up the ping, pulled over and quickly open my rider app and did the math, then hit cancel. I only do it, like my last one 3.1x from Elizabeth. Surging big yes other than that. Hell no. And don’t be naive thinking that pax will give a big tip. What you will get it is what I call “ the verbal tip” along the way and when you drop them off. A million times, “ thank you so much”, “you were great”, “ I appreciate the ride”. Well my landlord doesn’t except “verbal payments”.

anteetr

My experience also. North or East. West is either Summit or Morristown, both of which are further in minutes from where i came from in minutes. I get excited on the rare occasion i get a ride that heads southwest and goes past exit 10, where 99% of my EWR trips come from

Of course they can, issue is that they don't care about drivers. Remember the good old days of using DF at EWR?
I remember it fondly. Out at 6, home by 10 $150-$200 average. Minimal dead mileage.

OtherUbersdo

1 . Explain to them that you cant pick up out of state and let them know that you would appreciate a tip or negotiate a return fee .
2. Use LYFT in PA .

I will trade the EWR employee runs for the PA trips every and any day of the week .

UberwhoIaM

The only reason I said that was to put forth what would work for drivers. As it stands now there's no incentive to do those rides. The only drivers doing it are really bad at math. The driver loses. The customer loses. The only other way to fix the problem is to let drivers pick up PAX in other states.
More money would work as an incentive huh..... wow what a genius idea! Glad you thought of that.... as far as p/u in Pa..... get your facts straight..... it can be done by those drivers that apply some initiative....

Which explains how twice in the last week I got a ride to the airport and right back North to near where I started. But you must be brilliant. You've got Uber's schemes all figured out, right?
Yea your occasional experience being one driver/one time is the norm right? I know a driver that got a ride to Newark airport then to Connecticut then back to Newark airport then back to the shore but that was only once out of hundreds of trips... not exactly something he could count on.... you sit here and belittle other drivers/ants for their lack of math skills or brain power.... but assume your sole experiences are the norm.... I'm using the experiences gathered from at least 8 drivers that drive airports/train stations that don't allow DF in queues..... i will admit I also thought others were wrong for driving differently then myself until we crunched the numbers.... but I've realised there are many ways to make this gig work even after all the obstacles...

You have to drive flat surge differently from regular surge, I can even make as much money or more driving no surge rides in some areas vs drivers that only drive shore zone and dead head back since I have practically zero dead miles in certain areas I drive.... I've proven you can be a so called "Ant" and make decent money ($1000 - $1500 weekly) driving only part time......

If drivers quit crying about the things we can't change and just applied the time and energy to being creative many could make this gig work as a part time source of income....

njn

If you have TLC plates, they pay for your return trip back to your home market.

Buck Man

Caught a Sunday am ride EWR to PA down in Trenton area. Figured great start. Guy talked whole way. No tip. Nada. Drive back killed me. Not worth it.