• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I'm confused if you can really earn money with UBER.

Marlon Basilio

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me and give me your expert opinion and advice. Does UBER really get 20% of every fare or 25%? any advice or tips to new UBER drivers? My dad is a taxi driver before and tried UBER for almost 1 week but I have to say that he is really disappointed on how the payment system works, he thinks that the calculation is so low. He is thinking that it greatly benefits the riders but does not really give any advantage at all to drivers. We will give it a try for 1 to 2 months but if nothing will change we might be in big trouble here.

Hogster

If Uber drivers in the USA and the UK can't make a decent living with Uber, then how can you hope to earn a decent amount with the extremely low fares in Philippines?

Yes Uber do snatch 25% of your earnings and listen to what your Dad told you!

Combs

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me and give me your expert opinion and advice. Does UBER really get 20% of every fare or 25%? any advice or tips to new UBER drivers? My dad is a taxi driver before and tried UBER for almost 1 week but I have to say that he is really disappointed on how the payment system works, he thinks that the calculation is so low. He is thinking that it greatly benefits the riders but does not really give any advantage at all to drivers. We will give it a try for 1 to 2 months but if nothing will change we might be in big trouble here.
I think if its for second income, then yes, you can earn money with driving for uber.
You have to take some considerations on the following when driving with Uber.
Time of Peak Hour requests
Location of requests
Gasoline prices
Driving techniques
Events in your locations
Familiarization of places

Mista T

Author
Uber was designed for the part timer. Full time drivers are having a really difficult time worldwide. The most successful drivers are in markets where they they rides back to back all day, and good tips help.

Rickshaw

Yes, Mista T stated out some important points:
Uber or any rideshares is for part-time income requiring full-time work. So you are basically earning below minimum wage if you consider the total time you are on the road and not just the time you are actively driving for a rider.

Let me explain- you’re paid for the time a pax is in your car. That means you eat the cost of deadmiles (the distance travelled to pick up a pax, and the distance for you to head back to a location where the next potential pax may request a ride). Therefore, you are theoretically making half the fare you are paid by your paying passenger. The other half (your return trip) where you go back empty is unpaid. The only way to breakeven is to be in a densely populated metropolitan area and not be asked to leave it, doing back to back rides and minimizing deadmiles.

The whole scheme is for the driver to shoulder all the costs of operating a car/business, for a chance to earn tips. If your market is trained not to tip, or if your riders are aware of tipping but not doing so, then you are not making money, if not losing it altogether.

Finally, bear in mind this rideshare business model is unsustainable, or if so, exploitative of the poor driver.

JadShil

Is it really just 20-25%? and you shoulder the gas and everything? That doesn't sound like a very good deal. LOL. I was planning on doing part-time, but this doesn't even seem viable to even earn a bit of cash on the side at this rate. Especially if your car chugs on gas.

Mista T

Author
It is 25% of the time and distance, but they can (and do) charge a lot more quite often without passing the extra along to drivers.

JadShil

That's ridiculous. How are the drivers even earning? I see some former cab drivers switching to Uber, if they took the opportunity, then it must yield SOME profit, right?

REX HAVOC

Hi Guys,

Don't drive an Uber when you can drive a Jeepney. Or better yet go back to school and learn a trade or get some training in nursing. Then you can come to the US and make the big bucks.

JadShil

or get some training in nursing. Then you can come to the US and make the big bucks.
That's generally bad advice, unless he has the cash to spend on NCLEX and IELTS. NCLEX is around 20,000 PHP and IELTS is at 9,000PHP, I believe. You're not gonna get a job as a nurse in the States without these.

But I agree with the sentiment that Uber is not worth anyone's time and is a greedy company.

Driver Ed

I drive UBER in the US. I work in the most affluent area of the country (world) in Beverly Hills, CA. I have driven 2000+ trips over 2 Yrs and I can tell you honestly that the current fare structure of UBER cannot generate a fair wage for drivers. It is mathematically impossible with the low rates. My NET earnings, after expenses, is $8.78 / Hr. That is below minimum wage earned at McDonald's. Drivers are urged to look at their NET earnings per hour (after expenses are deducted) . Remember TIME = MONEY. If you are working 14 hrs a day to bring in your income you need to factor your time and determine how much you made PER HOUR. Also, UBER's 'No Tipping' policy destroys any possibility of earning a decent wage. If you are new to Rideshare (Lyft or UBER) my advice is, 'DON'T'. Drivers last an average of 4-6 Mos in the US and quit when they learn they have been duped by UBER. Then UBER recruits a new population of drivers and repeats the brutal cycle of deception about 'earning great pay'.

Attachments

bobby747

i took uber in mnl many times. it seems like your fares are high for driver based on me a usa driver and wife a pinay...long time....but with that upfront pricing maybe they get half of that 1000p fare as to 800p . maybe u get 500p thet get same..alot surges in manila so predictable to take black car as customer

REX HAVOC

I drive UBER in the US. I work in the most affluent area of the country (world) in Beverly Hills, CA. I have driven 2000+ trips over 2 Yrs and I can tell you honestly that the current fare structure of UBER cannot generate a fair wage for drivers. It is mathematically impossible with the low rates. My NET earnings, after expenses, is $8.78 / Hr. That is below minimum wage earned at McDonald's. Drivers are urged to look at their NET earnings per hour (after expenses are deducted) . Remember TIME = MONEY. If you are working 14 hrs a day to bring in your income you need to factor your time and determine how much you made PER HOUR. Also, UBER's 'No Tipping' policy destroys any possibility of earning a decent wage. If you are new to Rideshare (Lyft or UBER) my advice is, 'DON'T'. Drivers last an average of 4-6 Mos in the US and quit when they learn they have been duped by UBER. Then UBER recruits a new population of drivers and repeats the brutal cycle of deception about 'earning great pay'.
I agree with most of what you said but Uber does allows tipping on and off the app. I get tipped every day.

bobby747

i will say this with the peso i have paid on uber in PI ...it dont seem as bad for the driver as usa..my advice try it for 2 weeks to see...one fare was 800p and not that far. and ir surged alot thier

AlasKador

Kumusta na po mga Ser and Ma'am....

Uber tsuper po ako from Chicago.
Started Jan 2018 after retiring in April 2017.
Doing Uber around three hours or so on the weekdays.
Honestly, I wouldnt advise anyone to do this as a fulltime gig.
I just don't see it feeding a family of four. Not unless you drive 10-12 hours a day.... Maybe?
I do it just to get out of the house. And I like talking to different folks.
I like it because I can work three hours, or maybe more if I feel like it. Or work half an hour.
I can work any time or any day I want to.
I don't have to worry about being late for work, taking a long lunch, or going home early.
I don't have to ask anyone if I need a day off.
Very flexible talaga. I think ok na ok ito for retirees like me.

Sabi ni misis, I am practically my own boss beacuse I call the shots.
The way I look at it.... The riders are my boss. They pay me.
The best part is..... If I get an a$$hole for a boss, I just wait ten minutes and I get a new one.