1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I'm an Attorney (and former Uber/Lyft driver) Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Advice' started by DavidWoolf, Apr 20, 2017.

1. DavidWoolf

DavidWoolf Member

2. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Such a boring entry. Should add some personal details like favorite color, number, music, web site (uberpeople of course). :)
    Be far more interesting with a few spicy entries under Disciplinary or Administrative. ;)
    And the flag-waving picture looks like David is running running for city council. Should be holding a bible in one hand or maybe kissing a baby, too. :D
    Maybe a different flag would have more impact ...
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. SFTraffic

SFTraffic New Member

Hi David,
    Lyft caps the tips on rides in California (I don't know about other states) at 2 times the fare value or $50; whatever is smaller. Is this legal to control tips?

4. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    They also cap the fare at $500 in my market and do not tell you, notify you in anyway and let you keep driving too. I never maxed out on Uber but I heard it shuts off at 4 hours automatically.

5. gpj911

gpj911 New Member

On Saturday April 30th I pick up my first rider around 7pm and drove them to their destination I then drove back to the area I was in and waited for my next call. I got my next call around 8:45 and drove them to their destination. After I dropped them off within a few minutes my app went off line I tried to go back on line but the app kept saying my account needed attention so I check my support messages and I had a message that said someone reported that my driving seemed impaired during a recent trip and Uber prohibits the use of alcohol or drugs so they put a hold on my account for up to 48 hours while they investigated the claim. I emailed them that this is a bogus false claim and a rider is looking for a free ride as it’s surging past the average rate due to the amount of calls. I get a response that they take this matter seriously and we will get back to me. Uber kept me account suspended until May 1st around 6am when I got a support message that I was able to drive again. I emailed them back and question who it was that reported it but they won’t give me any details. To me this was an act of defamation of character. I have onboard forward and backward video in my vehicle and have the footage of both rides as I only did two rides before I got deactivated and it shows me driving in my lane. I even went back to my location to speak to an officer on this matter to see if they would give me an drug/alcohol test but they wouldn’t help me out I also have the video footage of my vehicle parked behind the officer car and me approaching the officer vehicle to I can speak to him. I also have both of the ride trip ticket numbers for both rides. What was done to me cost me two days of making money and I would like to know if I have any sort of a case that I can pursue on. Thank you for your time in this matter

6. ResIpsaUber

ResIpsaUber Active Member

Question(s) #1: What has happened in the large liability cases where the driver was at fault and there are, let's say, $2 million plus damages? Has Uber ever lost at trial or appeal on the issue of their liability?

Question #2: If a driver has excess liability exposure (like substantial equity in a house, etc.), would their own insurance be liable and add to the pool of settlement?

Question #3: Have you ever seen Uber sue a driver for recovery of the damages it has to pay out of pocket?

7. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Since I'm not an attorney, I cannot advice you on possible legal action. My personal feeling is whenever possible, find alternatives to legal action that is often long, expensive, and often ineffective. If a similar situation happens in the future, I can suggest ways to get it resolved in your favor much faster, possibly under 24 hours. Hopefully, you'll find it useful to read
    https://uberpeople.net/threads/how-best-to-handle-deactivation.157994/

8. OscarG

OscarG New Member

Hi David, congrats and good luck!
    I was issued summons by TLC of NYC at JFK airport trying to pick and undercover taxi compliance officer where i am not authorized to pick. They actually issued me one ticket for $1500 and one for my wife as the owner of the car for another $1500. I didnt even go to the tlcoath hearing as i didnt take tlc of nyc very seriouy being an NJ driver. I have no interest in obtaining an nyc tlc license and now nyc department of finance is chasing me with letters to collect money. Can they have any leverage on my NJ driving license in the future or even my wife's whose only info they have is what was on the car registration. Pretty much nothing. Could this possibly effect our credit if they dont have our ssn?
    Thank you

9. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Trust me, they have your SS#. I'm sure it's on your driver's license application that you filled out years ago and now it's in the state shared computer data. You said they're sending letters to your home, next will be a summons then a warrant. I'm sure your state shares info just like all the rest. Ignoring it won't make it magically disappear.

OscarG likes this.
  10. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Even without the troubles you've had, everyone should check the status of both their license and their registration yearly. Just for fun (obscure reasons), DMV/MVC may choose to suspend either one without notification. You are still responsible if caught driving with a suspended license, even if unknowingly. Every state has a way to check your current status. In NJ, search for
    • MyMVC
    • MVC online services
    • MVC driver history abstract
    • driving records in new jersey

OscarG likes this.
  11. Safe_Driver_4_U

Safe_Driver_4_U Active Member

can't wait for the likes of the CA DMV to take over our health care with single payer system, finally we will get an improvement. You just gotta love the way these DMVs operate.

12. Uberdriver2710

Uberdriver2710 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    How much is the price of rice in china???

Lolz:p

13. Lord Moyne

Lord Moyne Member

Would it be illegal for Uber to set up as a subsidiary their own insurance company?

14. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Self-insurance is legal in the USA. It is a common practice among large corporations, especially for health insurance. Currently, Uber drivers are insured by contract with Raiser, an Uber subsidiary, which in turn works with the James River Insurance Company.

Lord Moyne likes this.
  15. Lord Moyne

Lord Moyne Member

I'm wondering if I have a fraud case against Uber. I live in Somerset County near Johnstown but signed up for Pittsburgh instead because I thought the new driver bonus would be higher there. I signed up using the code from the referrer Amro (which I got from uber.com) which was for a bonus or signup guarantee of $500, $700, or $1,000, for something like 100 rides completed, don't remember exactly because I was considering signing up for Lyft which was offering something like a $500 bonus. So I went to the Pittsburgh greenlight hub yesterday and asked them exactly what my bonus/guarantee requirement was, they said they could not access that information there! I contacted Uber directly and stated "I forgot my code that I used and forgot the bonus that I will get after completing the required number of trips please let me know what bonus to expect got referral code online from uber"
    Here's the reply I received:

Thanks for letting us know, [my real name].

I have reviewed your account and I can see that you have already a referrer, Amro, listed in your account.

Furthermore, I'm sorry to say that we are not currently offering referral payments for new partners in your city.

So, you are under a driver referral program and the current referral amount as per your city for a new driver is $0.

We really appreciate you joining the Uber platform, and remember that referral reward amount differs between cities! You can still earn additional money by referring your friends from the Invites tab of your partner dashboard or in the Uber Driver app.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Nowhere during my signup process or approval process did I receive any notification that the bonus I expected would not be paid for being a Pittsburgh driver until I got the above message. I have completed 14 trips so far but am going on a temporary strike until I can get advice as to what is the best course of action I should take.

[EDIT] I thought the rep may have misunderstood me so I asked for a clarification by writing "When I signed up to drive I was promised a bonus after completing 100 trips myself. Does this mean my bonus will be $0 after I drive 100 trips?"

Here's te response

Hi [my name],

Thanks for reaching back out to us about this. I'm really sorry to say, but there is not currently a referral reward for new Partners in your city.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for. However, you can still earn additional money by referring your friends from the Invites tab of your partner dashboard or in the Uber Driver app. Referral reward amounts differ from city to city.

I hope this helps answer your question, and I'm very sorry that I wasn't able to provide a better solution for you.

Would I have a better case against Uber if I actually complete 100 trips first? If sued, perhaps Uber will say the rep gave wrong information and claim that they would have given me the bonus if I did indeed complete the 100 trips.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  16. westsidebum

westsidebum Active Member

In California both uber/lyft are using cpuc to regulate rideshare. Recently both got favorable rulings on car pooling, and complied with new rules on rear windshield trade dress.

Cpuc has broad authority over tcps and transportation including workers comp, fraud, competitiveness etc. Could cpuc be way for drivers in California to address issues like low rates as public transport impact issue?

One arguement could be uber subsidy is undermining trasportation grid and creating unsafe working conditions for drivers and public.

Cpuc could be petioned to hold hearing and rule.

17. Lelekm

Lelekm Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I think what has to happen is that a lawyer needs to decide to take the case on behalf of riders who claim Uber says they are being charged up front pricing based on their city's rates, which are clearly posted and yet way less than the up front price is, even including adding the booking fee. For example, I had a $30 fare today from midtown to The Woodlands. When I go to the fare estimator or to the city page as a rider looking for my estimate, I am given a range of $37-48 for the same fare distance, although the calculated fare is always going to be $30 based on Uber X rates in Houston. $7-$18 surcharge for up front pricing is substantial. That's a lot more than "peace of mind" to know my fare up front. The address-to-address drive is almost entirely a straight shot yo 45 with very little room for variation.

18. xlr8ed

xlr8ed Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

How would one request the rider/pax information (Name, Address, Phone etc) to take to court for damage to my vehicle - I have requested this from Uber and they refuse. Am I better served going to local media outlets (TV, Social Media, etc) and putting Uber on blast?

19. sanchez15

sanchez15 Member

This is mainly a question about Lyft, though Uber does it as well, but they seem more legally aware? Is making drivers wait 5m in areas that they know require double parking against the law? They are putting everyone at risk by not making it possible for drivers to circle around the block and look for a place to pull over (the Lyft app starts if you move). Lyft is forcing drivers to break the law, if the driver wants to continue to drive for Lyft (low ratings, cancellations). The app could easily require passengers be ready and in a legal pick up area when they request an inner city ride.

Everyone knows it is dangerous to wait 5m double parked, we know its illegal, yet nothing is done about it. My main complaint is that Lyft gives us no other option with their timer. Uber allows me to select a no show at anytime...

DocT likes this.
  20. sanchez15

sanchez15 Member