I'm a taxi driver and owner

Poser

I have been reading these forum posts for a while now, and would like to add my two Penney worth. I drive a taxi and purchased a plate a few years ago on the understanding from the government that it was exclusive. These were the terms and conditions placed by the government. Indeed, if anyone purchases a business, it is on the understanding that there will be no new competition in the area. The seller of that business is not lawfully allowed to reopen that business in the immediate vicinity. For Larrikin to suggest that owners of plates have caused this themselves is delusional. I mortgaged my house to buy this plate with a view to a good investment and job security. I drive my own taxi and have never once refused a fare. My car is clean and very well maintained. I have never overcharged. Having followed all the laws and recommendations by the D.O.T. I now find myself in the position of almost being bankrupt. I blame three areas. First, I feel that the government has abandoned me in my hour of need by not enforcing their own laws and prosecuting all the illegal Ubers out there. Second I blame the economy for the down turn in the mining industry, I suppose it had to end at some point. But, thirdly, I blame Uber. They have forced their way into almost every city in the world and literally taken over the taxi industry, blatantly disregarding laws. I also think that most of these drivers are selfish, nasty individuals who are stealing taxi drivers income by masquerading as taxis. They seem to nearly all have full time jobs and do this on the side to increase their income to have holidays, etc. what about the taxi drivers who now can't pay their rent or electric bill due to the lack of jobs? Uber will only be happy when there is an Uber sitting on every street in every suburb waiting for a job. So, yes I do blame the Uber drivers, but I also blame the government and the economy. I do think there is a place for Uber, but they need to follow laws, the same as we have to. I find it quite ironic that every time I have used the taxi service, I have never been refused, the car has been clean and the driver knows where he is going. Unlike the Ubers , who, it seems have no idea where they are going, when I get behind them and they almost always appear to be lost, such as indicating left and turning right, stopping in the middle of St Georges Terrace to look for their passenger! I certainly will never work for such a company that has no morals, treats its 'partners' with such distaste that you use your own asset for their benefit and then to cap it off, they can terminate your 'partnership' when they feel like it.

Loz

I have been reading these forum posts for a while now, and would like to add my two Penney worth. I drive a taxi and purchased a plate a few years ago on the understanding from the government that it was exclusive. These were the terms and conditions placed by the government. Indeed, if anyone purchases a business, it is on the understanding that there will be no new competition in the area. The seller of that business is not lawfully allowed to reopen that business in the immediate vicinity. For Larrikin to suggest that owners of plates have caused this themselves is delusional. I mortgaged my house to buy this plate with a view to a good investment and job security. I drive my own taxi and have never once refused a fare. My car is clean and very well maintained. I have never overcharged. Having followed all the laws and recommendations by the D.O.T. I now find myself in the position of almost being bankrupt. I blame three areas. First, I feel that the government has abandoned me in my hour of need by not enforcing their own laws and prosecuting all the illegal Ubers out there. Second I blame the economy for the down turn in the mining industry, I suppose it had to end at some point. But, thirdly, I blame Uber. They have forced their way into almost every city in the world and literally taken over the taxi industry, blatantly disregarding laws. I also think that most of these drivers are selfish, nasty individuals who are stealing taxi drivers income by masquerading as taxis. They seem to nearly all have full time jobs and do this on the side to increase their income to have holidays, etc. what about the taxi drivers who now can't pay their rent or electric bill due to the lack of jobs? Uber will only be happy when there is an Uber sitting on every street in every suburb waiting for a job. So, yes I do blame the Uber drivers, but I also blame the government and the economy. I do think there is a place for Uber, but they need to follow laws, the same as we have to. I find it quite ironic that every time I have used the taxi service, I have never been refused, the car has been clean and the driver knows where he is going. Unlike the Ubers , who, it seems have no idea where they are going, when I get behind them and they almost always appear to be lost, such as indicating left and turning right, stopping in the middle of St Georges Terrace to look for their passenger! I certainly will never work for such a company that has no morals, treats its 'partners' with such distaste that you use your own asset for their benefit and then to cap it off, they can terminate your 'partnership' when they feel like it.
I agree with everything you say. Unfortunately the DOT do not care about taxi drivers. I am now living on an income below the dole as I can not work the long hrs I used to do because of a bad back resulting from 24 yrs sitting in a taxi..Unfortunately this will never change as the Govt'does not care...I hope you find something better soon..

Larrikin

Poser, I'm sorry for anyone who has made a bad business decision, or been affected by an economic downturn, but the reasons you give for failure are telling.
As usual, it's all about the security of the plates, not the quality of the service. I'm sure there were drivers who gave good service - I think I had one about 15yrs ago, but that was the exception.
I am flabbergasted that you are offended at the thought of competition. No mate, most businesses do not start up on the basis that newcomers are restricted in a cosy closed shop virtual monopoly, they start up based on perceptions of market need and skill sets.
Oh dear, the government ruined it all by putting out more plates! The bastards! Mate, they had to release more plates - you couldn't get a cab for hours on Friday and Saturday nights. With no proper public transport system after office hours, there simply were not enough cabs to fill demand. Yes, business modelling by both the state government and taxi owners was wrong, the plates should never have had the ludicrous value placed on them - it led to greed and a lack of cabs.
The idea of basing a business on boom times in a state that has always been boom and bust is equally ludicrous, besides, demand has actually increased, it's just that the old cosy taxi business model doesn't fit the 21st century.
Now I'm in no way saying Uber is any good for owner drivers, but it works for the market - the public. Yes it will have to adapt, but I'm not sure anybody quite knows what the final direction will be, meanwhile it's providing much needed income to a lot of people.
You hate the weekend warriors - the part timers - things have always been that way, ask any full time studio photographer. There are no guarantees in business, you made a decision to mortgage your house for what you thought was a secure investment. Your shares didn't work out, that's a pity, but like the rest of us, accept your mistakes and move on and don't have the cheek to blame me. I think it's a West Australian trait - Oh poor me, competition ruined me / I bought the wrong shares etc, etc, the cry is always the same - the government (the taxpayer) should reimburse me! Bullshit, stop bleating.

UbeRay

Sorry Poser I have to agree with Larrikin. Nothing in business and life is guaranteed. Unfortunately from what ALL riders have been telling me is nothing but VERY BAD experiences with the Taxi Service and say they will NEVER use Taxi's again.
It is unfortunate for you like many of us, that get caught up in doing the right thing, to the best of your ability but still get dragged down to the lowest common denominator.
Competition will help the Taxi Industry lift its game and support the good operators.
I am hoping that the bad Taxi operators don't join Uber and stuff up what the public at present are experiencing as a breath of fresh air.

HumungousDill

............on the understanding from the government that it was exclusive. These were the terms and conditions placed by the government. Indeed, if anyone purchases a business, it is on the understanding that there will be no new competition in the area
Even if the government promised you a monopoly maybe you should have remembered that ALL politicians are liars, and that the government is comprised of politicians.

Although I feel sorry for the taxi drivers who must be feeling the pinch due to fewer jobs, just as we Uber drivers are, they are to a large part responsible for their own demise. Uber would never have been able to get a significant market share had it not been for the crap service and smelly cars you guys provided.

I'm sorry to tell you that nearly all the pax who ride Uber say the same thing "I will never ride a taxi again". There must be a reason for this !

And as for the standard of driving of Uber drivers - taxi drivers are not so good either. Many times have I come across them just sitting in the road blocking the whole lane with complete disregard for the traffic trapped behind.

Don't get me wrong , I'm no fan of Uber, but instead of blaming Uber blame the taxis. Uber were rapidly welcomed into your monopolistic marketplace despite their illegal status only because what you offered was so inferior, and because you couldn't be bothered to raise your game.

Last edited:

lui6155

Concur also with last two posts and Poser I note u purchased ur plates a few years back and as confirmed by other taxi drivers hopefully you would have made some impressive windfall money in those initial years that would have largely repaid that initial investment.
Yes those boom times have disappeared and that alas is the situation in most if not all industry sectors in WA but at least u cant say you hadn't reaped any benefits of the boom.

Loz

Even if the government promised you a monopoly maybe you should have remembered that ALL politicians are liars, and that the government is comprised of politicians.

Although I feel sorry for the taxi drivers who must be feeling the pinch due to fewer jobs, just as we Uber drivers are, they are to a large part responsible for their own demise. Uber would never have been able to get a significant market share had it not been for the crap service and smelly cars you guys provided.

I'm sorry to tell you that nearly all the pax who ride Uber say the same thing "I will never ride a taxi again". There must be a reason for this !

And as for the standard of driving of Uber drivers - taxi drivers are not so good either. Many times have I come across them just sitting in the road blocking the whole lane with complete disregard for the traffic trapped behind.

Don't get me wrong , I'm no fan of Uber, but instead of blaming Uber blame the taxis. Uber were rapidly welcomed into your monopolistic marketplace despite their illegal status only because what you offered them was so inferior, and because you couldn't be bothered to raise your game.
Yes The taxi industry was hopeless but to blame the individual drivers is ignorant... The only reason Uber passengers say they will never catch a taxi again is because of the low cost and not because of bad smelly taxis. I have had numerous passengers in my taxi that say they use both Uber and taxis and the only difference is Uber is cheaper. I have also had many passengers say the reason they are in my taxi is because Uber is price surging and they would never pay more..

Potsy

Yes The taxi industry was hopeless but to blame the individual drivers is ignorant... The only reason Uber passengers say they will never catch a taxi again is because of the low cost and not because of bad smelly taxis. I have had numerous passengers in my taxi that say they use both Uber and taxis and the only difference is Uber is cheaper. I have also had many passengers say the reason they are in my taxi is because Uber is price surging and they would never pay more..
Wrong....its not just price. Everybody seems to have numerous bad experience stories that they tell me about and I dont just mean taxi drivers going the long route, many stories I hear about taxi drivers tell me they are nothing but two bit criminals that should be charged.
We all work in an environment of duty of care nowadays but a lot of taxi drivers dont get that and would throw a drunk woman out on the side of a dark road in the middle of the night on a whim.

Potsy

Wrong....its not just price. Everybody seems to have numerous bad experience stories that they tell me about and I dont just mean taxi drivers going the long route, many stories I hear about taxi drivers tell me they are nothing but two bit criminals that should be charged.
We all work in an environment of duty of care nowadays but a lot of taxi drivers dont get that and would throw a drunk woman out on the side of a dark road in the middle of the night on a whim.
......and don't try saying their is one bad apple in the barrel. Most of the barrel is rotten to the core.

UbeRay

Ubers problem is that they can't discriminate between drivers applications to drive for Uber.
But Uber had better cut them off from the App as soon as a complaint comes in.

Potsy

I actually think this uber turns people nasty. I quit since just before 4th July. Uber says my 3F needs reassessment. Probably another medical $$$$$. Now the new omnibus application $$$$$$ Vehicle inspection $$$$$$. I need new tyres since ubering $$$$$$,. As a DOT inspection would fail. Need repair to vender damaged from hitting a curb when doing a u turn when a pax tells you at the last minute to go the other way. Now, with the lack of work, is it really worth forking out all this money..??
It's not worth it but I look at it like this. Everyday I have a "things to do list" and Uber driving goes on the bottom of my list because Uber offers me the lowest value/reward for my time compared to anything else in my life. If I happen to complete my list and I've still got some spare time then I might log on for a while to see if I can get anything.

Loz

I think we should all try to get along but you seem hell bent on rubishing all taxi drivers.. From all the stories on this forum of Uber drivers saying they deliberately wait around the corner just to get the cancellation fee and wait for the customer to ring back so they get the same job or refusing to carry water or mints and the rude things they say about Uber passengers .. Try reading the numerous rude comments Uber drivers are saying about the passengers and then see who is worse.. we are all the same just in a different car.. The only reason Uber drivers are not ripping off their customers is because they are paid through an app..I am sick of people saying ALL taxi drivers are criminals when it is a small minority that are the crooks..I am sure there are now hundreds of Uber drivers that have been deactivated but Uber would never say how many..

Potsy

It's more to of than that... Some people hate them with a passion

Taxi pax don't get to enjoy my jokes... :biggrin::eek::biggrin:
A trip to Greece was on my "things to do" list also but had to cross that one out when I realized I was dreaming. Maybe next year but somewhere in asia will do me.

Potsy

I think we should all try to get along but you seem hell bent on rubishing all taxi drivers.. From all the stories on this forum of Uber drivers saying they deliberately wait around the corner just to get the cancellation fee and wait for the customer to ring back so they get the same job or refusing to carry water or mints and the rude things they say about Uber passengers .. Try reading the numerous rude comments Uber drivers are saying about the passengers and then see who is worse.. we are all the same just in a different car.. The only reason Uber drivers are not ripping off their customers is because they are paid through an app..I am sick of people saying ALL taxi drivers are criminals when it is a small minority that are the crooks..I am sure there are now hundreds of Uber drivers that have been deactivated but Uber would never say how many..
I would say a tad more then a small minority but lets not argue over it. I agree I reckon heaps of uber drivers would have been deactivated and as long as the pay is crap creative individuals will try to scam the system to improve their income which will be an ongoing headache for uber. Uber had it coming....you cant treat and pay people poorly and then expect them to be loyal honest professional drivers.

haldriver

Competition will help the Taxi Industry lift its game and support the good operators.
I am hoping that the bad Taxi operators don't join Uber and stuff up what the public at present are experiencing as a breath of fresh air.
There was no reason Uber couldn't buy or lease licenses just like taxis. All Uber did was break law and avoid red tape. If Uber was so good they could have gotten legal licenses from the start to prove superiority under the same conditions.
Uber's version of competition is too get us to sacrifice potential income to destroy an industry that will be forced to join its ranks. Uber's competition isn't based on innovation or technology it is based on driver's earning less. Uber's 25% commission is potentially higher than what I paid in lease fees to earn the same except now there are so many players that no one earns the same.
Uber hasn't created competition is has diluted incomes. When the remaining 5000 taxis join Uber you will understand this point.
The cost of running an Uber is only cheaper because we don't yet pay same insurance, government fees or install cameras. Uber is cheaper for customers because we work for less and sacrifice more. Whilst there was undersupply surge helped balance out our income. Surge is no more.
Competition will be fair when we have to install cameras and pay full insurance and same government fees (Taxis are now $1191 pa, less than before but still 4x Uber for same market access).

Don't get me wrong , I'm no fan of Uber, but instead of blaming Uber blame the taxis. Uber were rapidly welcomed into your monopolistic marketplace despite their illegal status only because what you offered was so inferior, and because you couldn't be bothered to raise your game.
Denial remains strong on this site. All the righteous 'we are better than Taxis' crew need to look around and see some of the crap Uber cars out there and the crap drivers.
Same as Taxis.
Taxis became crap because of flooding and low income. Uber is becoming crap because of flooding and low income.
Uber is becoming new monopoly because it is cheaper and because it is cheaper car and drivers will get worse. Taxis will all be Uber soon (they have no choice and will have to live with the lower income).
Those that ignore history are condemned to repeat it.
Uber is just the new Taxi but cheaper. Sad for all those that invested heavily in nice cars.
Customers want cheap cause they think it is value. When all those Audis and Beemers and Hotted Commodores start to fall apart and smell of vomit passenger attitudes will change.
Taxi haters are already becoming Uber haters.
The only surge we are going to experience is hate surge.

Now repeat after me -
"I am sorry for that other Uber"

Last edited:

Potsy

There was no reason Uber couldn't buy or lease licenses just like taxis. All Uber did was break law and avoid red tape. If Uber was so good they could have gotten legal licenses from the start to prove superiority under the same conditions.
Uber's version of competition is too get us to sacrifice potential income to destroy an industry that will be forced to join its ranks. Uber's competition isn't based on innovation or technology it is based on driver's earning less. Uber's 25% commission is potentially higher than what I paid in lease fees to earn the same except now there are so many players that no one earns the same.
Uber hasn't created competition is has diluted incomes. When the remaining 5000 taxis join Uber you will understand this point.
The cost of running an Uber is only cheaper because we don't yet pay same insurance, government fees or install cameras. Uber is cheaper for customers because we work for less and sacrifice more. Whilst there was undersupply surge helped balance out our income. Surge is no more.
Competition will be fair when we have to install cameras and pay full insurance and same government fees (Taxis are now $1191 pa, less than before but still 4x Uber for same market access).

Denial remains strong on this site. All the righteous 'we are better than Taxis' crew need to look around and see some of the crap Uber cars out there and the crap drivers.
Same as Taxis.
Taxis became crap because of flooding and low income. Uber is becoming crap because of flooding and low income.
Uber is becoming new monopoly because it is cheaper and because it is cheaper car and drivers will get worse. Taxis will all be Uber soon (they have no choice and will have to live with the lower income).
Those that ignore history are condemned to repeat it.
Uber is just the new Taxi but cheaper. Sad for all those that invested heavily in nice cars.
Customers want cheap cause they think it is value. When all those Audis and Beemers and Hotted Commodores start to fall apart and smell of vomit passenger attitudes will change.
Taxi haters are already becoming Uber haters.
The only surge we are going to experience is hate surge.

Now repeat after me -
I'm not defending Uber except to say that Uber's got a better system and the public love it. I guess thats all that counts in the marketplace.
I left taxis coz I hated the taxi system and now I hate uber but for different reasons. You cant cross your fingers hoping it will get better coz I dont think it will so I'm slowly trying to wriggle my way to something else.