I'm a Pax. What's a Fair Tip?

JoeCho

Hey Uber drivers...
First off thanks for providing an amazing service. Its great being able to call an Uber to go wherever, whenever.

I learned how to see my rating and was surprised that it was 4.5 and that some drivers don't pick up pax under 4.6! I'm always right there when the driver shows... I don't make a mess in the car, I don't make special requests, I chat with the driver. I did some research here and discovered it's probably because I didn't tip! I didn't know I was "supposed" to tip! I thought tips were included, because that's what Uber advertising said. And I liked it, not because I'm cheap, but because I like the idea of a fixed price and a cashless transaction.

Can you give me advice on what a "fair" tip is?

Thanks

ChortlingCrison

Hey Uber drivers...
First off thanks for providing an amazing service. Its great being able to call an Uber to go wherever, whenever.

I learned how to see my rating and was surprised that it was 4.5 and that some drivers don't pick up pax under 4.6! I'm always right there when the driver shows... I don't make a mess in the car, I don't make special requests, I chat with the driver. I did some research here and discovered it's probably because I didn't tip! I didn't know I was "supposed" to tip! I thought tips were included, because that's what Uber advertising said. And I liked it, not because I'm cheap, but because I like the idea of a fixed price and a cashless transaction.

Thanks
I would say between 15/20% if fair is $10 or more. Anything under $10 I would suggest $2/3$.

Another Uber Driver

I did some research here and discovered it's probably because I didn't tip! I didn't know I was "supposed" to tip! I thought tips were included, because that's what Uber advertising said. And I liked it, not because I'm cheap, but because I like the idea of a fixed price and a cashless transaction.

The "included tip" applies to Uber Taxi, only.

You might recall that when you signed up, a page appeared that asked you about tipping. As most people have heard the same Uber propaganda that you have heard, perhaps you assumed that it was for all levels of Uber and picked something, or let it default to the twenty per cent. I am not condemning you for not reading it, mind you. If you did not read it carefully, that is not atypical, considering what you heard about Uber and tipping. Be aware that it is for Uber Taxi, only.

This does not include the New York City version of Uber Taxi, which is UberT. UberT is unusual in that you use it only to summon your yellow or green cab. You must pay the driver. This is unique to New York City. In the other markets where Uber offers Uber Taxi, you use the application BOTH to summon and pay for your taxicab. You pay for the cab through the application. It is a cashless and seamless transaction just as it would be on any other level of Uber. In fact, you can do the Chicago Uber Taxi, and use it to pay for a cab that you hail, if Uber Taxi is available in that market and you hailed an Uber Taxi (Uber Taxi is available in Chicago and Washington, as well as other places). It is a bit of a dicey process, but it can be done.

On Uber Taxi, the driver keys in the metered fare at the end of the trip. The application will charge your card the metered fare, what you have pre-selected for the tip and, in Washington, at least (I do not know about other markets) a two dollar user fee. The last is no big deal in Washington, as it has cost extra to call a cab in Washington since the 1920s. The current charge to call a cab here is two dollars.

Now, to your question. Other posters have pretty much answered it. For my part, if I am driving UberX that day (I drive both Uber Taxi and UberX), I appreciate anything. If all that you have is a dollar or two, I am happy to receive that. I have a credit card terminal, so, if someone does not have any cash and wants to tip me a dollar or two, I do not mind running it on the terminal as long as they do not mind using their card. As long as you give a driver something, usually he is happy.

I never downrate a user simply because he does not tip, although there are many here who do. As Uber tells the users not to do it, I find it hard to blame the user for following the provider's directions.

Welcome to the Forum. I always like to hear from the users. The anonymity of the internet allows for a candour that I might not get from the back seat. I hope to hear more from you as a user.

unPat

Don't try to be a taxi driver. If someone wants to tip it's at their discretion . If it's not dimes and quarters it's all good . Don't have to be a fixed percentage . You're not waiting tables.

Fresnouber

I have about 1200 rides now under my belt. Not a huge experienced driver by any means but I've given a lot of rides.

I always appreciate a tip, however I don't solicit or rate a pax lower for not tipping.

I don't expect a tip from a ride that I made $20 plus from which was a decent ride. However if you took a min ride that I drove 5-10 min to get to I make $2.44( in my market). A lot of understanding riders tip in this situation. Anywhere from $2-$5 is a good amount.

It's funny that Lyft riders tip more frequently however I have received much larger tips on uber. $20 a couple times. $10 several times and $5 very frequently.

Reversoul

Hey Uber drivers...

Thanks
Trollololol

wk1102

Hey Uber drivers...

Thanks
On a short trip, the price of a gallon of gas rounded up...

5-10 on longer trips, 20-30% on really long trips especially if it take the driver far from his/her home area.

Rat

I don't expect tips as a driver, but usually tip as a rider. Drivers who down rate pax who do not tip are just jerks anyway. If Uber tells them not to tip, how can they know?
They can see they're barely paying fuel costs for their ride. How can they NOT know?

tohunt4me

I have about 1200 rides now under my belt. Not a huge experienced driver by any means but I've given a lot of rides.

I always appreciate a tip, however I don't solicit or rate a pax lower for not tipping.

I don't expect a tip from a ride that I made $20 plus from which was a decent ride. However if you took a min ride that I drove 5-10 min to get to I make $2.44( in my market). A lot of understanding riders tip in this situation. Anywhere from $2-$5 is a good amount.

It's funny that Lyft riders tip more frequently however I have received much larger tips on uber. $20 a couple times. $10 several times and $5 very frequently.
How much do you have ?

Seriously,ANYTHING is nice.

$2.00-$3.00 is appreciated.

More is welcome if you feel generous.

Attachments

Gung-Ho

Less than a $10 ride $5 tip

$10-$20 ride $3-$4 tip

Over $20 ride 30%
That's some crazy math. If I take a $9.00 ride with you,you expect $5.00 tip total ride $14. If I take a $10 ride you are happy with a$2 tip total ride $12. I'll go that extra bucks worth to actually save two.

Reversoul

That's some crazy math. If I take a $9.00 ride with you,you expect $5.00 tip total ride $14. If I take a $10 ride you are happy with a$2 tip total ride $12. I'll go that extra bucks worth to actually save two.
I think the poster requests a $5 tip because the minimum fares aren't profitable. Sometimes we drive 10 minutes or more to pick up a pax, then drive the rider a mile down the street.