• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

I'm a Charlotte, NC Uber driver. Can I do pickups and dropoffs in Raleigh-Durham, NC?

Nkole Chileshe

What do I have to do to drive in Raleigh-Durham, NC? I am an existing Charlotte, NC uber driver. I hope to do so for at least a month.

MrMikeNC

Both Uber and Lyft will let you work in the entire state you live in, not just the city you lived in when you signed up. The problem only comes in when you cross state lines, though I've heard Lyft will let you do both NC and SC.

So if you want to come down and turn on the app and work, you can. I've been planning to do that myself for Charlotte.

sharknado523

Both Uber and Lyft will let you work in the entire state you live in, not just the city you lived in when you signed up. The problem only comes in when you cross state lines, though I've heard Lyft will let you do both NC and SC.

So if you want to come down and turn on the app and work, you can. I've been planning to do that myself for Charlotte.
I can confirm I have gotten pings in SC, though I'm talking Rock Hill/Fort Mill area. I haven't made it out as far as, say, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Columbia or anything like that. I've never been clear on what my "region of operation is," but I noticed that when I started it wouldn't show me surge bubbles in places like Statesville, Kannapolis, Belmont, Rock Hill, Lincolnton or anything like that. But now that I've driven in those areas, it will show me as surge goes in and out. So I'm not sure if it's me "unlocking" the areas by having been active in them, or just that those areas are using Uber more now than in March.

MrMikeNC

I can confirm I have gotten pings in SC, though I'm talking Rock Hill/Fort Mill area. I haven't made it out as far as, say, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Columbia or anything like that. I've never been clear on what my "region of operation is," but I noticed that when I started it wouldn't show me surge bubbles in places like Statesville, Kannapolis, Belmont, Rock Hill, Lincolnton or anything like that. But now that I've driven in those areas, it will show me as surge goes in and out. So I'm not sure if it's me "unlocking" the areas by having been active in them, or just that those areas are using Uber more now than in March.
Maybe places like Rock Hill and Fort Mill are an exception since they're so close to NC. Another Uber driver I met told me he had to take someone just beyond the NC border into VA and instantly the app gave some blurb about you can't work in this region. He said the rider tipped him the difference (Uber apparently only counted it up to the cutoff), but SC yeah seems there should be exceptions.

Last edited:

sharknado523

Maybe places like Rock Hill and Fort Mill are an exception since they're so close to NC. Another Uber driver I met told me he had to take someone just beyond the NC border into VA and instantly the app gave some blurb about you can't work in this region. He said the rider tipped him the difference (Uber apparently only counted it up to the cutoff), but SC yeah seems there should be exceptions.
I have to imagine that this has to do with Virginia law, not Uber itself. Which is a shame and Uber should inform the passenger that this is going to happen. I almost want to try it myself to see what happens.

South Carolina might have less picky laws about interstate Ubering.

MrMikeNC

I have to imagine that this has to do with Virginia law, not Uber itself. Which is a shame and Uber should inform the passenger that this is going to happen. I almost want to try it myself to see what happens.

South Carolina might have less picky laws about interstate Ubering.
Well the guy said it was a $60 trip anyway plus the $20 cash tip, so he was more startled at the app suddenly not working right than anything. But you're right, Uber should inform the passenger AND driver about what can happen if the ride has to cross state lines. Like what happens if we go into Tennessee? Georgia? At least we know for the most part if we go into SC we're fine. Some folks were talking about going to Myrtle and seeing what happens.

Ah, to the OP, yes 100% you're good for the whole state of NC. Sorry for the dread thrift, but all of NC is yours if you want to Uber. :biggrin:

Uber Roanoke Robert

Actually RDU is pointless lately. I live here and rarely do airport as I keep seeing 30+ Uber and as high as 42+ Lyft...in the middle of Tuesday afternoon.

My logic is that many at RDU means fewer outside and I'm busier.

PTILadyUber82

Worked RDU about a month back....30+ queue was cleared in well under an hour, although CLT's tends to clear out just a little bit more quickly.

Both are FAR better than PTI. PTI is in my home market, and I kid you not when I say I can watch an ENTIRE X-men movie in the time it takes to clear a queue of 7. That airport isn't worth it even with the slightly higher rates.

Actually RDU is pointless lately. I live here and rarely do airport as I keep seeing 30+ Uber and as high as 42+ Lyft...in the middle of Tuesday afternoon.

My logic is that many at RDU means fewer outside and I'm busier.

UberKing777

I've used lyft as a driver in Atlanta and myrtle beach. I'm taking a few trips this year so I'm gonna try other states.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Los Angeles & Orange County 6
D Vehicles 39
Null San Diego 0