Illegal Street Hails, Bronx & Heights

Inshur

DeFazio

let me start with I have Literally NEVER ONCE accepted a street hail, mostly because I know the consequence if caught by TLC and I'm not willing to risk it. But I wanna ask ya'll if I may: Whenever I'm in Washington Heights and the Bronx particularly, people are CONSTANTLY trying to hail me, likely when they see my license plate as TL&C... and they always look so infuriated and sometimes scream towards my car when I drive right by... I'm not sure if they aren't aware of the TlCs rules, but This leads me to think a lot of people are picking them up?? (Not necessarily uber or Lyft ppl, could be the random car services driving around as well.

Can anyone please tell me, are you guys picking them up? And if so, may I ask why? Just out of sincere curiosity. In the classes we had to take for the license they made it seem as though there were harsh penalties for it which sounded like things I didn't wanna risk.. are these things actually not true? Or do they not monitor these areas much or something? And please know, I am asking with NO JUDGEMENT whatsoever. I'm just really wanting to know why this seems to happen like, literally ALL THE TIME to me..(the street hails, followed by angry response when I drive by). Cuz it makes me somewhat uncomfortable when it's happening, cuz I feel like I'm wringing someone, when really I'm just following the rules... also feel free to chime in if you experience the same.

DeFazio

be careful sometimes you can get rob because you dont have anything on them..
Another concern of my Kevin B, I'm like... not worth the risk to me. Also the whole reason I chose these apps was because of the automated payment. Not having to worry about them dashing without pay.

bradleyf81

This happens to me a lot in the Bronx. People walk up to me when I'm stuck in traffic on Jerome and then tap the window and ask me if I'm working. I tell them I am, but I only do online Uber requests. They don't really seem to understand what that is. I'm pretty sure they assume that every car with T&LC plates can pick up any passengers.

Before I took the classes and learned the differences, I assumed that all T&LC plated cars could stop and pick me up. I've flagged down black cars in (ironically) Washington Heights myself as a passenger, a few years ago. They stopped so frequently that I thought my assumption about T&LC plates was true.

Uberinian

When I used to have tlc plates this was a thing in the Bronx a lot. Ghetto thugs trying to hail me down and open my car door to get in without asking, thinking I'm a cab.

When I got custom plates, this isn't a thing anymore.

ffran347

Always keep my doors locked. I lost count how many times people have tried opening my doors without asking, then look at me like wtf, nope sorry i dont do street pickups. I just wonder if they can report us, like we didnt pick them up because they are black.

JoseA_NY

This is a complicated issue, but I'm pretty sure we are not angels lol. That's quick cash right there, but you gotta be careful with TLC. I heard there were in front of Bronx Community college today.. careful out here when you see a black van with TLC Plates that's them.

Oh-Lord

The outer boroughs are very underserved by meters cabs. That's why they brought in green cabs. However these people don't use green cabs or still bargain for a fixed price. As for the pax if you think they are forceful during the day, try driving in the Bronx in those clubs by Fordham and Jerome or by dyckman. Lol those Dominican mamis are just aggressive lol. " me no care you uber papi,me just want go home. Tu sabe" .hahahaha.

JoseA_NY

The outer boroughs are very underserved by meters cabs. That's why they brought in green cabs. However these people don't use green cabs or still bargain for a fixed price. As for the pax if you think they are forceful during the day, try driving in the Bronx in those clubs by Fordham and Jerome or by dyckman. Lol those Dominican mamis are just aggressive lol. " me no care you uber papi,me just want go home. Tu sabe" .hahahaha.

Hahahahha I live by Dyckman and after 2AM until like 5AM fri and sat are crazy. I know driver that cancels on their Uber/Lyft request because they got street hails lol. They don't wanna share their $ lol

So what are the street rates?

During the day one block would be around $7 at night they are gonna ask you for $8 basically after 1 miles you start charging 2 dollars or $1.5 plus your base fare of $7. Someone explained to me, but I kinda forgot

jaybx17

So true lmao

Bklyndriver

Once had a dude come up to me while I was waiting for a ping in Lic. He begged me but I told him call an Uber. He says I ain't got no damb Uber jus gotta get to my gf in Hampstead. Dude had just left from his construction job. I was very hesitant. He offers $60. I tell em aight $70. Hour ride not bad! ( Would've got like $45 from Uber). Lol

Guap06

95% of my pick ups are illegal street hails 5% livery base jobs

This are rates rookie

Minimum $7-8
Pass minimum $10
3.1 miles to 4.9 $12- $14
Anything after 5 miles with multiply X3
So 5 miles would $15 ...
Very dangoures work be careful could be Robbed, kill, people with leave your car with out paying..
Leave This work for us livery drivers ..

Inshur New York