• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ignore vs. decline

Seamus

Is there any strategic or effective difference between ignoring or declining?
There is no difference to your acceptance rate. You will learn not to care about your acceptance rate. However, you should decline so as not to waste anyones time. As soon as you decline the next driver will get pinged.

On Lyft, if you keep letting it time out instead of declining you will start getting nastygrams from Lyft.

Welcome to the forum.

Disgusted Driver

Different philosophies.

I purposely let them time out to let it take as long as possible to get sent to another driver.

15 seconds times 4 drivers timing out = one additional minute. For the entitled ADHD snowflakes that's an eternity.

Doing my part for the community.
I've always declined to get rid of the annoying noise but I like the way you think and really want to be a productive member of the community!!

jgiun1

I let them time out

Also, when I'm done driving for the day, I never log off either app...I let them come in Lyft / Uber while apps are closed by me.. Screw both, I let them log me off.

And I never tap the threat button on Lyft app about acceptance rate after numerous time outs....I simply close app from iPhone and reopen...it goes away without the bow down to them and tap buttons like you're a child in trouble.

Last edited:

Lissetti

Honey Badger
Article Manager
When I used to hit decline a lot, (any pool rides) I noticed I stopped getting requests for a while. Then I got a message saying that other drivers in my area were accepting more rides than me and if I wasn't available to accept rides, please go offline. Then I stopped getting requests for like a half hour in a very busy area. I called them. They told me, "Well we see you rejected rides at 5:54, 5:58, 6:04.......So please if you are unable to work then go offline. "
( Yes they used the word rejected.)

Ever since then, I ignore, not decline.

Jay Dean

I let them time out, selecting no means you went against Uber and Lyft wants (not that it matters but they still see that) I also like having pax wait longer especially for shared and pool requests as I haven’t done either in over a year and feel great.
Post automatically merged:

When I used to hit decline a lot, (any pool rides) I noticed I stopped getting requests for a while. Then I got a message saying that I other drivers in my area were accepting more rides than me and if I wasn't available to accept rides, please go offline. Then I stopped getting requests for like a half hour in a very busy area. I called them. They told me, "Well we see you rejected rides at 5:54, 5:58, 6:04.......So please if you are unable to work then go offline. "
( Yes they used the word rejected.)

Ever since then, I ignore, not decline.
Geez they actually said that? Scandolous....so it does matter after all, hate these companies.

jgiun1

I let them time out, selecting no means you went against Uber and Lyft wants (not that it matters but they still see that) I also like having pax wait longer especially for shared and pool requests as I haven’t done either in over a year and feel great.

Geez they actually said that? Scandolous....so it does matter after all, hate these companies.
Exactly....simply force close app and reopen to avoid tapping "got it" and "OK"

I'll never give them the satisfaction of clicking even more buttons except rides I actually want and accept.

And trust me if it's busy, Lyft will automatically remove the warning and give the next ride anyway.

Lissetti

Honey Badger
Article Manager
Yes. I demanded to know what they were talking about with that message "other drivers in my area are accepting more rides than me."

That's when they clapped back at me with all the declined I tapped and at what time I declined them.

It shut me the hell up.:cautious:

.....lesson learned....ignore the undesirable requests from here on out. Prove I wasn't on the toilet battling the after effects of a Food Truck burrito!

Jay Dean

Exactly....simply force close app and reopen to avoid tapping "got it" and "OK"

I'll never give them the satisfaction of clicking even more buttons except rides I actually want and accept.

And trust me if it's busy, Lyft will automatically remove the warning and give the next ride anyway.
That “Got it” button annoys the living hell out of me, you litterly have no other option then to select got it, lol I’m going to try that next time the got it bs appears, can’t wait to try the reboot on that message next time lol thank you

how To make money as a rideshare driver? Avoid these passive aggressive head games from the big two and you ‘may’ turn a profit!

Mista T

Author
IGNORE

It sends a message (to Lyft especially) that rides are being ignored. If they quit sending me pings 15 minutes away, and/or pay me when a surge is appropriate, then I would accept more. If they would stop sending Pool/Shared, I might accept it. Low rated pax? Ignore!

The ONLY things that matter to these companies are $$$ and the happiness of their pax (which translates to $$$). This is one of the very few ways that drivers can send a message to the companies that we are unhappy with the quality of what they are sending us, without getting deactivated.

Does it matter? Not really. But it makes me feel better to Ignore rather than Decline.

robstv

There is no difference to your acceptance rate. You will learn not to care about your acceptance rate. However, you should decline so as not to waste anyones time. As soon as you decline the next driver will get pinged.

On Lyft, if you keep letting it time out instead of declining you will start getting nastygrams from Lyft.

Welcome to the forum.
Keep seeing these ideas that you should not worry about acceptance rate as it is no big deal.

So yesterday I gave it a try, not accepting a few rides, looking only for long rides. Today I go online and see the trip duration and direction info is missing in ping. Quick search shows you must keep acceptance rate 85% or higher to get this great feature. My acceptance rate is now 77%, when it was always 99 or 100%. It will go back up quick, but missing out on info for a short time. So yes, acceptance rate is a big deal and something you should care about if you wish to get more info about possible ride.

Sometimes I wonder if many of the posts here are the opposite of what needs to be done. Makes cents.

Fozzie

Keep seeing these ideas that you should not worry about acceptance rate as it is no big deal.

So yesterday I gave it a try, not accepting a few rides, looking only for long rides. Today I go online and see the trip duration and direction info is missing in ping. Quick search shows you must keep acceptance rate 85% or higher to get this great feature. My acceptance rate is now 77%, when it was always 99 or 100%. It will go back up quick, but missing out on info for a short time. So yes, acceptance rate is a big deal and something you should care about if you wish to get more info about possible ride.

Sometimes I wonder if many of the posts here are the opposite of what needs to be done. Makes cents.
LOL @ anyone taking UberPro seriously. It's just a way for Uber to manipulate new ants into taking all rides.

Boca Ratman

What good is getting this info if you get penalized (By them taking it away) for using it towards your advantage?

Seems like a the tail wagging the dog to me

Seamus

What you will find is that most experienced drivers aren't interested in getting Uber Pro Status because in order to achieve it you will lose a lot of money on crappy rides. What are you gonna do with that information? Use it to screen rides? If you do you will then lose that status so it's useless!LOL

96% of drivers don't last a year. 4% stay and figure out how to make money. This forum is filled with 4%ers. Some of the folks that make the most have unbelievably low acceptance rates. Go ahead and take all the crappy rides you want.

Experienced advice is free, take it or leave it but if you think you have it figured out in your first few months and know better than drivers who have years of experience and thousands of rides your kidding yourself.

Go for it! Whatever works for you.

Welcome to the forum.

reg barclay

It doesn't make any difference to your acceptance rate (which in turn doesn't make any difference, unless you're going for that Uber pro 85% thing).

I doubt it makes any difference within Uber's system either, although only they would know for sure.

Presumably if you actively decline, then the ping gets bumped over to the next driver quicker. Additionally you become available to receive other pings quicker, which I guess is another reason to actively decline rather than ignore. Not to mention that you have to listen to the ping sound for a few seconds less, and can do other things with your phone.

I won't go into the the debate about the Uber Pro 85% thing, but I think its pros and cons can be summarised as follows. You are foregoing the ability to decline over 15% of pings based on pre acceptance criteria (such as bad pick up location, bad rating, and so forth). In exchange for the ability to decline up to 15% of pings based on direction/destination, or some combination of that and pre acceptance criteria.