1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

If you want WiFi in your car ...

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Cynders, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Cynders

Cynders New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My cell carrier is TMobile where I got a SyncUp device that provides WiFi and other cool stuff. Passengers love it and it will also help drivers who pay too much for unlimited data so they can use the app without worries on going over data limits. I hear some other cell phone providers may also have similar devices. If so, share!

Oh, and it helps when you get in bad spots with no cell reception! I often get into areas where the Uber app looses connection

2. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

If your t mobile phone loses signal,
    your hot spot device uses the same signal.
    So it won't work either.

If anything you would want your hotspot device to be from a different carrier.

uberinatltrafficsux and SuzeCB like this.
  3. Aerodrifting

Aerodrifting Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Why do you need WiFi in your car? Because your pool pax can not afford data plans?

4. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Offering Wi-Fi in your car is like offering lipstick to a turd....

5. nj2bos

nj2bos Active Member

For anyone offering WiFi to their passengers, keep in mind you're liable for whatever they do. If they Skype call in a bomb threat to a building using your WiFi, the IP will be tracked back to your provider and you're responsible. Not worth the liability risk IMO. I'm sure an uber pax excuse wouldn't fly in court.

6. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So if I were to do that from a Starbucks or a public library, they would be responsible?

JMlyftuber and TheWanderer like this.
  7. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    So my wifi hotspot...

That I let riders use...

Is a "good" idea...?

Or a "bad" idea...?

Maybe I should turn it off...

When I pass a bank or govt bldg...8>O

Rakos
    s-l300-3.jpg

8. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

I would charge the same rate as the providers to use my in car wifi.
    If the passenger can't afford an unlimited plan, what makes you think they would tip?
    Unlimited plans are not that expensive, especially now a days.
    Sprint offering 15 per month right now.

JMlyftuber likes this.

9. nj2bos

nj2bos Active Member

If they don't setup their network properly, yes. However the free Wifi networks at Starbucks, DD, etc are more sophisticated and have usage agreements and all activity is logged with your computer's MAC address, so your activity is traceable to your computer.

10. SakoSays

SakoSays Member

I’m not stalking you I promise lol. Only if your plan is consumer.
    If you want to offer WiFi with no legal liability it costs far more then a $25 a mo add on.
    You would need a commercial account with filters warning messages and security monitoring.

11. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm not even driving TNC anymore. Uber has me wait-listed on till September, 2019. Not sure I'll be back driving then. Maybe for the big money days, but definitely not like I was. If I end up going back full time, you know I'm in dire straits!

12. SakoSays

SakoSays Member

Offering WiFi for higher end rides I understand. But here in LA even the high end rides are 10 minutes max. So by the time people connect it’s time to vacate.
    It tickles me when people ask to put on their music when I’m literally pulling up to the destination.

I freelance bartend while I work out my career so I’ve been driving
    Lyft maybe two hrs a week at this point.
    I feel like I’ve cost Lyft and Uber more in customer loss then I’ve made them. Everyone that enters my car leaves with an education and a deep hate for bloody corporations.

JMlyftuber and SuzeCB like this.
  13. Alison Chains

Alison Chains Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Riders have smartphones. By and large they are getting mobile network service at the same speed and under the same conditions as you are. You're looking at investing gear and effort into a service that 95% will not notice and most of the rest won't be impressed with since you can get it at McDonald's and on a Greyhound. You're thinking of adding bells and whistles when you're not competing with anyone but yourself. You got yourself a cool toy; swap it for a phone that doesn't restrict tethering.

14. sellkatsell44

sellkatsell44 Moderator Moderator

They actually make you sign an user agreement; probably the same one that says if you get hacked while on their WiFi it’s not their fault...

DocT, SuzeCB and Rakos like this.
  15. henrygates

henrygates Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Uber wait listed you? How did that happen?

16. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    3-in-3.

17. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What does that mean?

18. Uberdude1267

Uberdude1267 Active Member

I think she had 3 accidents in 3 minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years. Whatever the criteria is. I think I just read about a 3 accidents in 3 years rule.

Apparently, she's awaiting sentencing so that by the time she'd be eligible to uberate in Sept. 2019, she may already be doing 5 - 10 so she won't be doing full time any time soon.
    :eek:

Grand Lake, Rakos and SuzeCB like this.
  19. RockinEZ

RockinEZ Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    No one mentioned the obvious.
    T-Mobile will throttle your data after 50GB.
    A PAX watching youtube videos can use a lot of data in a hurry.

You are giving away something you pay for to PAX that don't expect it.
    They will not tip you more.

Grand Lake likes this.
  20. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    3 minor "incidents" in 3 years. An incident can be a no-point traffic conviction (including plea-down or just paying the ticket), or a minor accident, whether it's your fault or not. Someone else posted something that raises the question as to whether pending traffic tickets may count until resolved, as well, and drivers are contractually-bound to notify Uber of any and all accidents or traffic tickets, ASAP.

The first of my 3 accidents, none of which were my fault, falls off my DMV record in Sept., 2019. Uber waitlisted me until then; Lyft permanently deactivated me.