Uber Drivers Forum banner

If You Really Want to Take On Uber...

757 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  eman1122 
#1 ·
I will try to make this as brief as I can. I get a strong feeling of deja vu when I read this forum and see the feeling of utter disdain for our ridesharing company of choice and talks of another strike to bring awareness to Uber that drivers are fed up and want change. But let me reassure you, forming another strike will fall short.

There are too many variables against you: Not enough drivers will log off to make a difference. Pax will look at us as entitled, whiny drivers that should just go somewhere else if we aren't happy. And worst of all, are the drivers who are screaming their support, but will log on and drive as soon as the surge hits where they want it. All this Uber knows. And this is why the strike will have no effect.

However, if you are serious about making a difference for the drivers and getting your voice heard, there is something us drivers can do as a unified unit. And it's something of a bad word in our industry.

Push for regulation!

I know this isn't an idea popular with drivers. It's viewed as an inconvenience, nuisance or ineffective even. But that's not the point. The point is, with regulation, you will really be jeopardizing Uber's true source of cashflow...the driver pool.

Case in point is what happened in Austin, TX. When voters decided that Uber and Lyft should play the game right and abide by regulations such as fingerprinting drivers, etc., Uber and Lyft packed up and left. But guess who's knocking on Austin's door looking to come back...

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/i...-austin-city-council-representatives-meeting/

This is what happens when you punch the bully in the mouth.

Yes, I understand that with regulation comes possibly losing drivers, but some sacrifices need to be made. And in turn, you can actually spin this to your benefit with the passengers. Imagine seeing Uber drivers wanting restrictions on ourselves. That tells the public that we care. That we are more than a face behind an app. That we are concerned for the product that is out there. Imagine if we got the support of the passengers?

This is just food for thought and hopefully will bring more constructive discussion instead of berating and insults, which seems is becoming more and more abundant on this once helpful and informative forum.

See less See more
#4 ·
U

Uber gets away with out regulations coz the pay the city to keep shut.
How are you going to push regulations when Uber has more money and has paid pretty much everyone in city hall
Push for a vote. Bring it to the public. Uber has had its share of negative publicity. Getting behind a movement to make the public safer is something anyone could get behind. Just a suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.