If you get your ride “bonus” up to the max on Lyft

LAWeasel

The opposite used to be true, don't know if it still holds. When you hit the top tier, you keep getting more. Then, they know how many you can do and dangle the carrot much further out. This is how I screwed up my first week with Lyft. Went for the bonuses, they got harder, stopped doing it, and for months they were ridiculously high, like 130 something rides. The algo finally adjusted and knocked it down to 30 something, which I still cant hit.

New2This

The opposite used to be true, don't know if it still holds. When you hit the top tier, you keep getting more. Then, they know how many you can do and dangle the carrot much further out. This is how I screwed up my first week with Lyft. Went for the bonuses, they got harder, stopped doing it, and for months they were ridiculously high, like 130 something rides. The algo finally adjusted and knocked it down to 30 something, which I still cant hit.

I think he's talking about the Personal Power Zones on Lyft.

hulksmash

You can carry that bonus with you and it will apply to the next ride. You don’t have to stay in that spot once you reach the max

UberIsAllFubared

Oh good God, what a mess. I was dictating this thread on my phone, and didn't realize it came out as a jumbled mess.

What I was trying to say is, if you are in a Lyft private "power" zone, or whatever the hell lyft calls it, and you are in the Pink area, and the "next ride" bonus counter keeps going up, and when you hit the max bonus, you aren't going to ever get a ride... unless you sit there for hours, which I sure as hell didn't, and even then, I doubt you will get a ride. Now I might be mistaken, but I don't think I am, but you have to be in either the pink or purple zone to get that bonus on your next ride, and if you leave the zone, then it doesn't apply to your next ride. Essentially, lyft is trying to keep you in a spot that has historical demand at that time.

Long story short, I don't think lyft was ever going to give me a ride in that zone because I hit the max bonus ($7.45), and they didn't want me to do a short ride to get the $7.45 so they would lose money. This wasn't an area that would even surge either.

Hope this makes sense now.

MOJAVE MADMAN

Oh good God, what a mess. I was dictating this thread on my phone, and didn't realize it came out as a jumbled mess.

What I was trying to say is, if you are in a Lyft private "power" zone, or whatever the hell lyft calls it, and you are in the Pink area, and the "next ride" bonus counter keeps going up, and when you hit the max bonus, you aren't going to ever get a ride... unless you sit there for hours, which I sure as hell didn't, and even then, I doubt you will get a ride. Now I might be mistaken, but I don't think I am, but you have to be in either the pink or purple zone to get that bonus on your next ride, and if you leave the zone, then it doesn't apply to your next ride. Essentially, lyft is trying to keep you in a spot that has historical demand at that time.

Long story short, I don't think lyft was ever going to give me a ride in that zone because I hit the max bonus ($7.45), and they didn't want me to do a short ride to get the $7.45 so they would lose money. This wasn't an area that would even surge either.

Hope this makes sense now.

Reserve Overflow

You get a ride if there are no other base takers within 20 min distance

I still have primetime, but I am sure they send the ping to heat map drivers first, then it goes up the chain to heat map drivers with purple flat bonus, then pink flat bonus, then finally pt drivers if thats all that remains

LAWeasel

Reserve Overflow

You get a ride if there are no other base takers within 20 min distance

I still have primetime, but I am sure they send the ping to heat map drivers first, then it goes up the chain to heat map drivers with purple flat bonus, then pink flat bonus, then finally pt drivers if thats all that remains
This appears to be correct. I still have primetime and last week completely sucked for rush hours. No +45 with PT, only base. I got a base ping this morning, XL 25 minutes away. Utterly ridiculous. Went offline and got an oil change. Figured I'd take an LAX run with less traffic afterward, and got one.

Edit: Uber has been infinitely worse. Guessing no LA drivers have flat yet and they will just hit us all at once.

UberIsAllFubared

You can take the bonus to another area
Post automatically merged:

I don't think so. The screen goes grey once you leave the purple zone. I know I got a request that did not have the "bonus" when I left the zone. Now if you are in the purple zone, and you get a ride request outside of the purple zone, I think you still do get the bonus, but if you leave the zone I don't think you do.

Anyway, the main point of the thread was really the fact you can essentially price yourself out of a ride at times. Like I said, once I hit the max, I wasn't getting any of the ride requests in that area. Most of the rides in that area are short. So why would lyft give me a short ride request, where I would make an additional $7, when they have another car that is available for base where they don't lose money.

LAWeasel

I don't think so. The screen goes grey once you leave the purple zone. I know I got a request that did not have the "bonus" when I left the zone. Now if you are in the purple zone, and you get a ride request outside of the purple zone, I think you still do get the bonus, but if you leave the zone I don't think you do.

Anyway, the main point of the thread was really the fact you can essentially price yourself out of a ride at times. Like I said, once I hit the max, I wasn't getting any of the ride requests in that area. Most of the rides in that area are short. So why would lyft give me a short ride request, where I would make an additional $7, when they have another car that is available for base where they don't lose money.
Unbelievable.

Your pay is now completely detached from the ride you are about to accept, what the pax pays, and all other variables.

It's now a game if roulette or Pokemon Go, take your pick. How can this possibly be legal?

somedriverguy

Unbelievable.

Your pay is now completely detached from the ride you are about to accept, what the pax pays, and all other variables.

It's now a game if roulette or Pokemon Go, take your pick. How can this possibly be legal?
If you are an employee, it's not.

LAWeasel

If you are an employee, it's not.
It may not be period. In fact, sticky surge, flat surge, and even the core concept of Uber and Lyft introduce three elements:

Payment (the driver does have to spend money)
Chance (we are not told anything about an upcoming ride)
Prize (the dollar amount promoted)

All three of those combined constitute a f---n lottery, which is exactly what this is.

hulksmash

It may not be period. In fact, sticky surge, flat surge, and even the core concept of Uber and Lyft introduce three elements:

Payment (the driver does have to spend money)
Chance (we are not told anything about an upcoming ride)
Prize (the dollar amount promoted)

All three of those combined constitute a f---n lottery, which is exactly what this is.
Lottery is exactly how they want it. The platform only runs smoothly and Lyft only maximizes revenue when drivers take whatever comes their way. When everyone chases the unicorns all the other rides go unanswered. This system is a way to keep the ants in line. By all accounts Lyft is winning h battle. Drivers still on PT are there for overflow demand when there aren’t enough PPZ ants around, then they’ll pay PT drivers. However, purely base rides where pax is paying base has an equal chance of going to anyone.