1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

If you are not Plat, Gold, Silver; You do not receive pings.

Discussion in 'Los Angeles & Orange County' started by ajcadoo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. UPDATE 6/30: I updated the thread title to hopefully clear the air on the forums and direct people to this thread instead of posting new threads that say, "why is it so slow?" or "2 hours without a ping!". Uber is Prioritizing Pings. Read below for more information:

With all this fishy ping/incentive talk going on in these forums, I decided to utilize my well-earned Saturday (6/25) to drive around the core of LA without any incentives, since I don't drive weekends normally.

I started at noon by sitting in Baldwin Hills for a full hour before receiving my first ping. Then I sit in Playa Vista for another hour without a ping until my phone lights up with the second ping of the day. I will say, I refuse to dead mile, searching for pings. I just won't do it. I know many on this forum does it, but I find it hugely wasteful and expensive. Once I drop off, I find an area close by to sit and wait for my next ping.

Afterward, sat in Hollywood for another 40 minutes. Then got a 3 trip POOL to SM. And once in SM it picked up a tiny bit, but the day overall was still extremely slow.

Was online for exactly 8 hours. Of the 8 online, there was approx. 3 hours without a ping. I had a total of 11 POOL Pings and 3 UberX Pings. I accepted all but 3 POOL pings. After expenses (93.1 miles total including dead mileage) I made a whopping $4.08/hour and that doesn't include the commute home. This was my all-time lowest hourly wage in a single day while driving for Uber.

Overall, I see no fowl play on Uber's end in terms of prioritizing pings. In fact, during my occasional checking of the PAX app throughout the day, I would notice ants disappear around me often (presumably from other pings but they could be going offline too). So it appears that pings are going to the closest vehicles, but again, nobody can completely confirm since we don't truly know.

I will say, there is a LOT of supply out there. There are simply too many drivers during times of incentive. I was literally begging for a fare to take me to non-core LA after my first hour of waiting around pingless. If you look at the PAX app while waiting, you'll see how sizable your 'ping coverage radius' is, and with incentives, the radius is very small, especially if you are around a major road artery (which is the ants' best friend).

I'd much rather be driving for 85¢/mi than sitting in a parking lot with a 1.8x guarantee and no trips to show for it. In the end, today was a complete and utter failure. A tremendously excessive number of POOL requests, a LOT of downtime, no incentive, and barely any demand. I won't be driving next week for the hourly or any incentives from here on out. I'm going to wait for surge surfing to return and for supply to stabilize. Driving during times of incentive is impractical, inconsistent, and exhausting.

Here was my overview for the day
    IMG_0895.PNG

Edit: It appears as though multiple Platinum-incentive drivers are reporting consistent pings (with many having stacked pings). My experiences do seem to confirm that since I was seeing ants disappear from the PAX map. The theory is that platinums need to remain happy and driving full time for Uber as they are the cream of the crop. Part timers get the shaft since there is always part-time churn anyway.

Edit 2: Ok it is all but confirmed. Uber IS in fact prioritizing pings in the LA core. Hourlies are no longer able to receive the magic 1.5 trips/hr with multiple confirmed reports of little to no pings whatsoever. Medal drivers are priority ping recipients (especially Platinum). Hourlies and non-incentivized drivers are second priority for receiving pings.

Edit 3: UberPeople user la-driver1 took these two screenshots immediately after receiving a ping today. It indicates his passenger was surrounded by 8+ vehicles closer than him. This is valid proof that the ping was prioritized to him, blocks away versus the vehicles closest to the passenger.

View attachment 46405
    View attachment 46406

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    zyan, devilmountain, SammyG and 6 others like this.
  2. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Pool pays .85 gross per mile, not .90

FUberX, SumGuy and KekeLo like this.
  3. What I don't understand is how I can put the pin on MY car and have the request go to someone else. Adding to the fact that I'm not getting ANY X requests in the core, this is super suspicious.

BWC38, Adieu, RedCamry and 1 other person like this.
  4. I just tested as well. You cannot ping yourself while online and driving, it will get pinged out to other drivers. They patched that long ago when people were pinging themselves to boost acceptance rates.

5. I can ping myself outside the core.

Just tried it and it worked.

second2noone and KekeLo like this.
  6. Sluber

Sluber

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    wow...i dont get it...i havent had any problems...today seemed like a busy normal saturday..started at 8a..ended at 630p...25 completed rides had about 10 stacked pings all over the core...maybe had 3 pool requests...one ride took me out of core...(alhambra)..came right back to dtla...i am platinum but if you were just driving with no incentive..it would make sense to send you mult pings as they wouldnt be paying your trips at 2.0x....not sure whats going on

Spanky, Adieu, KekeLo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Subjugator

Subjugator

Driving:
    UberX
    Is it possible it's based on ratings of driver?

KekeLo likes this.
  8. someguy

someguy

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm rated at 4.93 and I can't get a ride in core to save my life. I'm on the hourly promotion.

9. I am 4.92

KekeLo likes this.
  10. XUberMike

XUberMike

Driving:
    UberX
    If if my day ever looked like this after 8 hours I think I would jump off the Westin Bonaventure Hotel.

11. Well it would make sense for them to disable that ability in the core since hourlies work off of an 80% acceptance rate.

KekeLo likes this.
  12. kes1981

kes1981

Something is definitely wrong with the pings. I gave 11 rides today, 10 of them were stacked. This never happens on the hourly guarantee (I'm Platinum). I gave 6 rides yesterday and 5 of them were stacked. The discrepancy of pings from this weekend to the last weekend is staggering. I'm driving in the exact same places, the only difference is my incentive (Platinum vs Hourly). Make of it what you will, but it's hard for 15/17 stacked pings to be a coincidence.

The most fishy part is that there were a few stacked pings that were 1.5 miles away in the heart of Hollywood. There's zero chance I am the closest.

13. In the core, I can ping myself with select and sometimes pool. Not X, but only recently.

KekeLo likes this.
  14. Ok what the actual ****. I was in Hollywood today and there were ants EVERYWHERE. This is Twilight Zone stuff. It almost seems like Uber is prioritizing Platinums above all else! Why would they want to prioritize the most expensive Ubers?

15. Ah. I only tried X

16. Subjugator

Subjugator

Driving:
    UberX
    All I know is. Uber doing promotions on drivers and riders, so drivers get paid promotion and riders right now are getting half off.

17. arto71

arto71

Driving:
    UberX
    Not sure why but that's the case, it's none stop stacked pings, can't even take a break.
    Most of the time its good 4 to 5 min away from drop off , but yet getting hit with ping

image.jpeg

sekani, Koolride and KekeLo like this.
  18. Subjugator

Subjugator

Driving:
    UberX
    I feel like uberx is just like pool now with accepting next ride.

BWC38, Adieu, Hope_Solo and 1 other person like this.
  19. someguy

someguy

Driving:
    UberX
    Hourly costs more than metal drivers. I made like $7/HR a couple weeks ago and after guarantees made $24

Adieu and KekeLo like this.
  20. KekeLo

KekeLo

Driving:
    UberX

I don't like Hollywood, but I had a drop there today. I kept getting stacked pings, so I got the hell out of there.